need to change stock basis

Over 50% of the stock basis of all positions incorrect. FMV are correct and reconcile to brokerage acct.

Jim Harman gave me an answer back in April. Had some problems following his instructions. Is Jim's explanation still the best answer.

Best Answer

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jo18,

So the prior message thread is here.

You had two options at that time - which option did you choose?  I suspect it was option 2 if you are now having the same problem.  It that correct?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Another reason you may have difficulty keeping your cost basis in agreement with your brokerage account, is if you own securities that return capital.  For example I own a REIT that returns capital as part of the quarterly dividend.  I get the breakdown the following year when I get my tax documents under Non Dividend Distributions.

Once I have this information I split the quarterly dividend payments for that year into two transactions, one for the dividend portion and one for the return of capital.

The return of capital portion reduces my cost basis bringing my investment records in line with my brokerage account.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, if you have ANY sale transactions for securities, did you inform your brokerage of what Tax Lots to sell?  Or, did you select the same tax lots that the brokerage selected?
    Unless you gave instructions to the contrary, your brokerage almost certainly chose FIFO.  If you chose any other method, your Cost Basis would vary from the brokerages numbers.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jo18 said:
    Over 50% of the stock basis of all positions incorrect. FMV are correct and reconcile to brokerage acct.

Jim Harman gave me an answer back in April. Had some problems following his instructions. Is Jim's explanation still the best answer.
    Fundamentally, I'd say @Jim_Harman 's answer is still 'the best', but you haven't given us much to go on.  As suggested by others, there are a variety of ways the cost basis can be thrown off. 

To get a better answer, you might share where that existing cost basis information in your Quicken data came from -- current brokerage download, your manual entries, Buy transactions, Add shares transactions, other sources? 

Also, how far off are the 50% -- a few dollars, 50%, 100%   
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jo18,

While you haven't answered my question above, it is more than likely that you chose option #2, because, while it may not have been apparent to you, the first option would have had you create accurate records while the second option would have "fixed" the then current problem but would not have resulted in accurate records.  And - while you may not realized it at the time - unless you disposed of the entire position at one time, you were bound to have future problems in Quicken.

All that being said, if you provide us with some additional details we'll do our best to help you.

Take care,

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• jo18
    jo18 Member ✭✭
    Thanks to everyone for the quick response. My problems are user problems and not advice from Jim or others. Let me spend some more time with the possible solutions and I will report back with results.

To repeat problem, i have one account that the FMV reconciles exactly but the basis is off on approximately 61% of my security positions and approximately 55% of the FMV. The account is active with buying and selling. I have similar problem with two other accounts.

Again, thanks to all.

Jere
  • jo18
    jo18 Member ✭✭
    Have now reconciled the delta between cash basis in Quicken vs brokerage account. Goal is to correct basis by lot. Need a step by step explanation. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Jere
This discussion has been closed.