Discrepancy-Projected Balances

This discussion was created from comments split from: why is my projected balances graph is incorrect..

Comments

• wcwhitejr99
    wcwhitejr99 Member ✭✭
    I'm having a similar problem with Projected Balances.
    Windows Quicken Deluxe 2020 R27.42
    In my Projected balances - I click on a specific date (where it indicates a negative balance) The opening balance for the date is $4,806.68. There is one transaction scheduled for $1,100.00. The closing balance for the date is $-693.62. Is this new math? I have turned off all "suggest reminders".
  • wcwhitejr99
    wcwhitejr99 Member ✭✭
    I forgot to add: I've run file validation, and I continue to get the following error: QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Quicken found a damaged scheduled reminder and removed it. Please check your scheduled reminders by going to Tools>Manage Bills and Income Reminders.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    (Edited to correct a comment below.)
    @wcwhitejr99 - Have you checked your reminders to find out what was removed? 
    Projected Balances takes into account the actual account balance plus the Bill & Income Reminders.  It is common to assume that it only looks at current/future Reminders but it also takes into account overdue Reminders.  I'm guessing that there is at least one overdue Reminder that is driving your balance projection negative.
    One way to check to see if this is the cause:  Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Reminders to show in register > check Next 7 Days.  (You can select another time period if you want to but Next 7 Days might make it easier for this exercise.) 
    Does the balance in your register for today now match what is shown in Projected Balances?
    If so, the next step is to find the overdue Reminders. 
    • Account Register > lower of the two upper right Gear icons > check the box for Status.  This will add a column on the far left of the register with a blue dot for the column header. 
    • Click on the column header divider and drag it to the right as far as it will go.  This will make the status for Reminder transactions readable.
    • Click on the blue dot column header.  This will filter the column.
    • Scroll down the entire register and look for transactions that have Overdue status.
    Any overdue status transactions will need to be addressed by either deleting them, ignoring them or, if they are validly overdue, entering them.

Then click on the Date column header to filter your register by date, again.

Does this resolve your Projected Balances issue?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm having a similar problem with Projected Balances.
    Windows Quicken Deluxe 2020 R27.42
    In my Projected balances - I click on a specific date (where it indicates a negative balance) The opening balance for the date is $4,806.68. There is one transaction scheduled for $1,100.00. The closing balance for the date is $-693.62. Is this new math? I have turned off all "suggest reminders".
    I suspect you're describing a known bug.  If so, you may toggle the Combine Bill, Income & Transfers preference to coerce the missing transactions to appear: select Edit > Preference...

• wcwhitejr99
    wcwhitejr99 Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac
    I can't post pictures yet - but:
    I am not questioning (necessarily) the current (today) balance shown. I'm concerned with the projected balance in the future. In this case it's 8/31/2020.

After I run file validation, it adds four entries in Bill & Income Reminders. All are blank: No Due Date, No Payee, Amount: 0.00 (auto enter), Method: Sched.
    In the check register, they are today's date and everything else is blank.

Whatever this is, it fixes the projected balances until I run auto update again or re-start. Running validate again finds more damaged scheduled reminder and adds two more blank entries. At this point I now have 8 blank entries.

@Sherlock
    I had already selected the Combine option. Do I need to un-select it?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

@Sherlock
    I had already selected the Combine option. Do I need to un-select it?
    If you have Combine checked, you would uncheck the preference and select OK, then check the preference and select OK

Basically, the balances are correct but all the transactions may not appear until coerced.  This issue has been present since the Combine was introduced.
  • wcwhitejr99
    wcwhitejr99 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    @Sherlock - That doesn't appear to have fixed the issue.
    It looks like I can post links now, so I create a PDF with some screenshots.
    There is some type of problem with reminders. Validate/Repair creates two empty entries - but it fixes the issue. But now I have two blank reminders that I cannot remove.
    @Boatnmaniac - any suggestions?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @wcwhitejr99 - Sorry about misunderstanding your issue earlier.  I don't recall seeing this type of issue before but the fact that these Reminders keep popping up after running OSU has me thinking that perhaps there is something other than a Manual Reminder that might be causing it.  It's a long shot but have you ever in the past had any Online Billers set up?  You can check to see if you might still have one/some set up by going to the Bills & Income tab, clicking on the upper right Gear icon and then clicking on Manage Online Billers.  If there is something shown there, can you delete it?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• wcwhitejr99
    wcwhitejr99 Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac I left the two null reminders alone for one day. After running a update, I was prompted asking if these were scheduled transactions. I selected NO. Everything still seems to be working, and the null reminders are gone.
  • I've been having I think this exact issue as well for the past few months. I've tried the suggestions in similar postings, but I don't have any overdue reminders etc.
    One thing I did notice in the last couple of days is that I have a manual monthly transfer reminder from my checking account to my savings account, and for whatever reason on the Projected Balances screen only it shows the closing balance for my checking account as 3 times the amount that I am transferring, even though that is the only transaction for that day, regardless of the value I use. On the savings side, it shows a proper closing balance whenever I transfer funds to my various savings goals, but on the day that it receives funds from that transfer, the closing balance always shows $0. When I do the validation/super validation, I end up with 8 null reminders. I've tried ignoring them before and saying they are not related to my different charges, like you did, but the issue always comes back.
    Not sure if this helps in your case, but it might get closer to the issue.
    By the way, I'm using Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property R27.42
  • mike123
    mike123 Member ✭✭
    I have had this problem for over a year! My balances are going up $100,000 plus for no apparent reason.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mike123

It appears you problem is different from the one in this old discussion.

I suggest you start a new discussion, and in the meantime, click on the Account to us header to sort the list of upcoming bills by account, so you can see which account has the unexpectedly large balance. 
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.