"" Budget Error when Syncing

Options

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Options
    Hello @Chris Harris,

Thank you for following up again, and I'm sorry to hear that this issue still persists.

Since previous troubleshooting steps have failed, I suggest signing out of the mobile app, then copying your data file in an attempt to rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables by going to File > File Operations > Copy..., leave the presets in place, and click Ok. From there, follow the prompts until the copied file opens. Sync the copied file to the cloud, then sign back in on the Mobile app to see if the issue persists.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• PaulX
    PaulX Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Options
    > @Chris Harris said:
    > Update:  I called Quicken Support today and they had no additional troubleshooting steps that haven't already been tried in this forum post.  They confirmed that this is indeed a known bug with many users having reported it; they are working on a solution.  When fixed, the patch will be pushed out by via a future Quicken update.  So, we wait...

I also have this problem. Thanks for letting us know Chris Harris. [removed-disruptive]
  • PaulX
    PaulX Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have this same problem. Quick - Please get this fixed.
  • PaulX
    PaulX Member ✭✭
    Options
    All - I was able to stop getting this sync error by deleting all but one of my budgets, then resetting the cloud accounts via preferences.
  • Bob Russell
    Bob Russell Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I've also had this problem for months.[Removed-Sarcastic/Unhelpful]
  • Daniel L Laser
    Daniel L Laser Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Options
    same problem.[Removed-Rant/Unhelpful]
  • Daniel L Laser
    Options
    deleting all budgets did fix the sync problem for me..... at somepoint i will recreate one and see what happens. THANKS COMMUNITY!
  • Paul Smith2
    Paul Smith2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm trying to get my budget to sync to the mobile app on IOS 14.1. When I do a "Reset your cloud data" (Edit/Preferences/Mobile & Web/Reset your cloud data) the process finishes with an error message "budget "" not synced - must have a name". I saw a discussion in this forum about a blank budget name causing problems with sync, but no resolution. I have supervalidated the data file -- to no avail. The available budget management tools do not seem to allow deletion of the blank budget name.

Can someone help me out here?

Paul
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @Paul Smith2

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

If you are still experiencing this trouble, I would next attempt to sign out and sign back into the program.
    1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    2. Click sign in as a different user
    3. Type "yes" to sign out
    4. After you sign out, sign back in with the same Quicken ID
    Please let me know if the resolves the issue or if the trouble persists.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Toporion
    Toporion Member ✭✭
    Options
    This issue started happening only recently and none of the fixes here have helped. I do not want to delete my budgets and start all over.

I don't remember taking any major actions to cause the issue -- it was synching fine before this wee. But I do see the blank budget in my list of three budgets,so that must have come in somehow recently.

One would think that the application would only synch my current budget to mobile and not the blank one in the list of options -- since it is not selected in the desktop app.
  • Paul Smith2
    Paul Smith2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Tyka - thanks for your suggestion. I did as instructed -- same problem. Problem seems to go deeper than resyncing cloud data. My budget includes transfers from accounts that won't sync with mobile Quicken (for reasons I don't understand because they work fine with Quicken for Windows on my PC). I'm wondering if that fact would confuse the budget transfer program from PC to mobile and hence cause the budget transfer program to create the bogus blank budget name and kick out the error message "budget must have a name" ???
  • Toporion
    Toporion Member ✭✭
    Options
    I looked back at my older backup files and found one where the blank budget does not appear in the list of budgets. But I do not want to have to recreate months of updates to my desktop app. Can Quicken make a s/w update to add a workaround to this bug -- don't skip budgets with no names?

The documentation states that all budgets are synched to mobile but only tone active in desktop shows up in the mobile app - so why doesn't my active budget show there? Instead, no budget information is showing because of the synch error for the "" budget.
  • Paul Smith2
    Paul Smith2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    For those of you waiting for Quicken to fix the "" budget problem, I spent enough time with a customer service rep yesterday (2 hours) to get the problem fixed in my system (W10, R30.9 subscription) .

First of all, these are the things that didn't work.. 1. you can't "delete" the blank budget using existing budget tools 2. validating and super validating existing files didn't help, 3. Resyncing quicken cloud to the supervalidated file didn't help, 4. duplicating the existing working file and hoping the recreation would fix the problem didn't work. All of this consumed about half the time spent on trying to fix the problem.

What did finally work is restoring a file from 10/27/2020. That file did NOT have the bogus budget in it. I don't know when the regular updates put the bogus budget in the image. I can affirm that they were there on 11/14/2020 because I checked. I jumped back 2 weeks (to 10/27) in the hope that the problem occurred after that -- and it did -- at least in my system.

The rest of the debugging time was spent re-integrating the downloaded transactions from 2 weeks after a OSU into the working file on the PC and then resyncing that repaired file back to the cloud. I found that I had to respecify the accounts I wanted to see on the mobile because all this file manipulation had wiped that information out.

Hope this helps

Paul
  • PauloM
    PauloM Member ✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I have had this error for almost two years now. [removed - rant/disruptive]
    Luis
  • James Nail
    James Nail Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi have same problem and have tried many things posted here. Is there any real solution to this issue? Very frustrating that the blank budget cannot be selected to delete it.
  • YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Just to add to get the full picture of the extent of this problem - I also have a blank budget I cannot get rid of. It also messes up the synchronisation which I have therefore stopped using as a result. I do not have the luxury of restoring a back up since I think it occurred months ago I would not be able re-key in stuff all over again.
  • Dennis3769
    Dennis3769 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I had this same problem months ago. I resolved it by restoring a backup file and updating that backup. That took forever to do. Now today that darn "Null budget" is back and will not sync again. I am not going to go through all that trouble again. I am going to find another program that will replace Quicken since they can not address this problem. Just fed up! I would not recommend this program.
  • Dennis3769
    Dennis3769 Member ✭✭
    Options
    In my dropdown menu for my different budget names for some reason there is a "blank name" for a budget name. Quicken is calling this a "" budget. I can not click on this blank name to select it. I can not get rid of it in anyway. I don't even know how it got there.

When I sync to the cloud I get "The budget "" was not synced. Parameter name must be specified for this request." error. Without this sync I have no budget on my mobile device.

This was not a problem before the recent update.

I saw that others having this problem, but no workarounds were found.

Looking for suggestions from others or Quicken.
  • YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Dennis3769 keep reading, there is no way to delete it and no way to fix until addressed by the Quicken team. You could add to the 'report a problem' list by lodging a report as suggested elsewhere, or you could go to a previous back up prior to the update.

In my case the error was there before the update.

• Chris Harris
    Chris Harris Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here's an update on my particular case.  Hopefully it bodes well for the many others who are having this problem.

While I understand that it was the only possible solution, I too felt it was unfeasible to restore to a past update.  Especially when I have no idea when the last working update was and it was possibly 6-9 months back.  I don't have that time.

Then, the other day, while doing something with the Quicken App on Android and then on iPad, I found that my budget was suddenly, mysteriously, FINALLY syncing again.

I have no idea how, I have no idea why.  As best I can tell, it wasn't anything I did.  However, when I run a sync now, I don't get the ""  Budget error message.

It may have come with the most recent update to 

Quicken employees, anything you'd like to share with us?  Good news, or did I just get lucky?

Chris
    Quicken user since 2014.
    Using Quicken Windows Subscription on Windows 10.
  • Dennis3769
    Dennis3769 Member ✭✭
    Options
    UPDATE! Quicken help could not fix this problem. Told me to "Report a Problem."

Since this problem, all my backups that I saved had NO budgets. They were missing just like with a cloud sync.

I finally used a restored recent backup with all transactions in place and no budgets and recreated a new budget.
    At this point I do not have a drop down budget name list and thus no blank name.

All is working now with only one budget. Who knows what will happen when I make a new 2021 budget.

What a pain!
  • jtk.google
    jtk.google Member ✭✭
    Options
    Talked to phone support today. The support engineer said they are planning to issue a fix in 30.16 or 30.20.

Also got walked through resetting cloud sync, logging out and into quicken account, then sync again...that seems to work without errors. He explained it will likely keep working for a few days until it pops up again.
  • JonG4JC
    JonG4JC Member
    Options
    I was able to eliminate the no-name budget error by deleting all my budgets and starting over. Then it synced properly without errors also. It's not the prettiest solution but at least it worked.
  • Scott Mustian
    Scott Mustian Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have the same problem when I created a 2021 budget. I get the same sync error and see the "blank" budget space in the drop down list. I assume I could restore an old backup but would lose all the work I did on new budget. Would appreciate a better solution from Quicken.
  • Tom Zudock
    Tom Zudock Member ✭✭
    Options
    I was able to correct this problem by deleting all of the budgets in Quicken desktop and resetting my cloud data. Just deleting the budgets in Quicken desktop did allow me to resync, but the cloud data (app.quicken.com) still showed the last budget that had been synced, even though it was no longer present on Quicken desktop. Resetting the cloud data fixed that.

After doing this I was able to sync my data again and I created a simple budget just to see that it would also sync the budget, which it does. Before deleting the budget, I exported the budgets I cared to keep to excel. There is no budget import option so I will need to re-enter my budgets manually.

One caveat here is that when viewing a budget report, initially after cleaning this up, I did still see a blank entry in the budget dropdown list, which implied that some null reference still existed, but subsequently I have not seen that. For now this has fixed my problem, with the nuisance that I must re-enter my budget manually.
  • Toporion
    Toporion Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I am wondering if it is the blank budget, or possibly something else causing the synch error. In November, I too restored an older backup without the blank budget. I then spent a few days catching up for the 2-3 months of missed history. But after only a few weeks, the blank budget suddenly appeared. But the synch was still working without errors afterward -- so I did not do anything at the time.

But then suddenly yesterday, the synch error started. I do NOT want to restore again from two months ago because of the time suck -- so I might try deleting the budgets but I will first try deleting all but one -- based on a previous post.

I am curious about the upcoming fix from Quicken -- hoping it works. I updated to 30.19 today hoping it might help, but it did not.
  • rglauson
    rglauson Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem with getting the "The budget "" was not synced. Parameter name must be specified for this request". I read that I should duplicate the budget and then delete the existing budget and try again. I can duplicate the budget using the "Duplicate this budget" in the Budget Actions drop down box, but when I try to delete the initial budget, Quicken shuts down and I get a "BUGSPLAT" crash report window. That is a little scary but I googled it and it appears Quicken is using the BUGSPLAT program to help find problems.
  • rglauson
    rglauson Member
    Options
    I can delete the new budget I created without crashing Quicken. It's just the old budget that is the bane of my existence.
  • rglauson
    rglauson Member
    Options
    Finally, when I do create a new budget, the budget selection dropdown box shows the existing budget (2019 Budget), a blank line, and the new budget (My Budget 1).
  • rglauson
    rglauson Member
    Options
    I did the update this morning to R30.21 and all the problems were resolved. Budget are synced and appearing in the mobile app and I was able to delete the old budget without Quicken crashing.
This discussion has been closed.