Securities Reappearing

Comments

• aeoiii
    aeoiii Member ✭✭
    Had same issue as described by ChicagoGuy with 3 securities appearing after being zero'd for years with very small balances (attached q0). Prior to reading this I did change the closing SALE to check "all shares", however received error/warning "creating a short transaction'. (attached q1 q2).
    This did create a zero number of shares, but the security is still present (it's not on the watch list)

Using version R27.42 build27.1.27.42

I'd rather not just 'hide' security. Seems some wonky rounding logic recently introduced.

Any thoughts appreciated ....Thanks
  • Hello @aeoiii,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your issue, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

It sounds like you may be experiencing a bit of a different issue than what ChicagoGuy explained on his post, however, just to clarify, were you able to try the steps mentioned here?

Please let us know!

-Quicken Natalie

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @aeoiii I agree with the "wonky rounding" comment.  

First off, I hope to avoid this wonkiness since I hold fast to share quantities being only precise to 3 digits after the decimal (0.001 and nothing more precise).  Some users and financial institutions might take it to the fourth decimal. 

In your case for the short-sale, I would try a couple of things

• Delete the existing sale completely and re-enter it with the Sell all shares checked, or
    • Uncheck the Sell All box, and deduct 0.000001 share from the the share count incrementally until you get a clean sale.  It may take several deductions.
    HTH

• aeoiii
    aeoiii Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the suggestions @q_lurker
    Unfortunately this level of precision is governed by the broker/fund mgr (Putman/CS) as a result reinvested dividends.
    I did delete the sale and again rebooked with 'sell all shares' checked and again received 'creating a short position'.
    I took your suggestion and continued to reduce the number of shares from 1.194498 ... until 1.194486 and the sale was booked. However as you can see from the attached ....this created a position of .000012 (so quicken did get that math correct !), which isn't the desired outcome as I now have a position of .000012.
    I went through the same exercise the sell (then remove) the .000012. Quicken still thinks the sale is creating a short position until i decremented down the .000000 ! If i remove it, I show a zero position but the security continues to appear (it's not on the watch list)

@Quicken_Natalie - i reiterate this only appeared in a recent update (version previously supplied) as this security was dormant /closed since 2013 !!

other ideas appreciated ! thanks in advance...aeoiii
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @aeoiii

Thank you for the response and the additional details, although I apologize that you have not received a follow-up response.

If you haven't done so already, I would save a backup and run the Validate & Repair tool on the data file and Rebuilding the investing lots, from the File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair option.

In the Validate File window that opens, click the top box to "validate file" and "Rebuild Investing Lots" then click OK.

When the validation completes, a data log will open in Notepad, please let us know if any errors or issues are found/repaired, and when ready close and re-open Quicken.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • aeoiii
    aeoiii Member ✭✭
    Hi @Quicken_Tyka
    Thanks for the response. I did the validate and rebuild - however no change in behavior. No errors were found as a result of the validate/rebuild (below)

I'll maintain something changed a few weeks ago in a recent release creating a wonky rounding issue that cause a series of old/zero quantity securities to reappear.

Any thoughts appreciated....thanks...aeoiii

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Mon Aug 31 21:32:41 2020]

[Mon Aug 31 21:35:11 2020]
    Rebuilt investing lots.
    Analyzing securities.

Number of old style Buy/Cash investment transactions updated: 1217/0
    No out-of-range security references found.

Validation has completed.
  • Hello @aeoiii,

Thank you for trying the troubleshooting instructions previously provided and consistently providing us with an update afterwards.

Unfortunately, since the previous steps provided have failed thus far, at this point, I would recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support instead, for more extensive troubleshooting and possible escalation if they see fit.

I apologize that our efforts from the Community were unable to resolve this for you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.