Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

The current balance listed in the side summary panel doesn't match current balance in account ledger

The balance showing in the summary panel on the left side for one of my accounts does not match the current balance in the ledger for that account, overstating it by over $11,000. This incorrect balance is also listed in the All Accounts panel of the Home screen. The balance in the ledger itself is correct. The error is only with the first account listed in the account summary panel, as all the others match. I first noticed this a few days ago.

Answers

  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven’t already, you may want to verify the register is sorted appropriately and there aren’t any unexpected filters being applied:  open the register, select the Date column header (you want the small triangle to right of Date to point up) and Reset.
  • ranman14
    ranman14 Member ✭✭
    The balance on the account register is correct - the issue was with the balance listed in the summary of accounts on the left side of the screen being incorrect. However, I just re-opened Quicken to see if your suggestion would provide any benefit and now see that the summary balance is now correct without me doing anything. I'm not sure what happened, as I've closed and re-opened Quicken a few times since I first noticed this issue earlier in the week, and those times the issue remained. I'm an IT guy, so I go through the various internal checks assuming that the problem is on my end before reaching out to others. I guess this is one of those instances where the problem goes away when you bring attention to it. Hopefully it remains this way :)
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ranman14 said:
    The balance on the account register is correct - the issue was with the balance listed in the summary of accounts on the left side of the screen being incorrect. However, I just re-opened Quicken to see if your suggestion would provide any benefit and now see that the summary balance is now correct without me doing anything. I'm not sure what happened, as I've closed and re-opened Quicken a few times since I first noticed this issue earlier in the week, and those times the issue remained. I'm an IT guy, so I go through the various internal checks assuming that the problem is on my end before reaching out to others. I guess this is one of those instances where the problem goes away when you bring attention to it. Hopefully it remains this way :)
    Unless you have set the Register preference to Remember filters after Quicken closes, exiting and opening Quicken will reset the filters and sort the register appropriately.
  • ranman14
    ranman14 Member ✭✭
    Again, there were no issues with the register for that specific account - all of the transactions and balances were correct and in balance with my bank. The problem was with the summary which shows the current balances of all accounts, where the balance for the first account listed was incorrect but the rest matched their corresponding account registers. Additionally, I've had this issue for about a week and have open/closed Quicken multiple times since then and the issue persisted. I've been using Quicken for 20+ years and am familiar with most of its functionality. All I can think of is that maybe there was a fix loaded when I performed the update this morning that didn't get completely implemented until Quicken was restarted a little bit later.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    ranman14 said:
    Again, there were no issues with the register for that specific account - all of the transactions and balances were correct and in balance with my bank. The problem was with the summary which shows the current balances of all accounts, where the balance for the first account listed was incorrect but the rest matched their corresponding account registers. Additionally, I've had this issue for about a week and have open/closed Quicken multiple times since then and the issue persisted. I've been using Quicken for 20+ years and am familiar with most of its functionality. All I can think of is that maybe there was a fix loaded when I performed the update this morning that didn't get completely implemented until Quicken was restarted a little bit later.
    Quicken updates have been known to alter preferences.

    As your issue appears to be unique, it isn't likely the R29.9 update fixed the issue.  You may want to consider performing the Copy and Validate if just to see what it reports: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • I am having the exact same problem - Register on the first account (in my case, Checking) is correct, but the amount in the Account List is wrong as is the amount of that account on the Home Screen net worth report/graph.
  • Any movement or fix for this issue?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Account Bar, usually shown on the left side of the Quicken window, has two settings when it comes to showing balances:
    Show Current Balance and Show Ending Balance
    Click the gear icon in the Account Bar header to see available settings.
    That could / should explain why your Account Bar balance as shown appears to be off

  • shaugland
    shaugland Member ✭✭
    I am also experiencing the same issue. Changing the setting for how the account balances are shown does not solve the issue.

    Within the account ledger, the account is reconciled and the balance is correct. However, the account list on the left side of the screen displays an incorrect value for a single account. This is throwing off the net worth calculation. Any fix for this?
  • Hello Everyone

    Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. Recently someone else was having this issue as well and it looks like they were able to solve this by deactivating and reactivating the account  I'll leave steps below on how to do so.

    First thing I'll recommend is to save a backup to revert back to just in case. You can find how to do so down below. 

    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

    Next we'll try deactivating all of the accounts. You can do so by following the article listed down below.

    https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account

    Once all the accounts are deactivated go ahead and follow the article here on reconnecting the accounts.

    https://www.quicken.com/support/reactivating-deactivated-account

     Once you've done this let us know how it goes! Depending what you're able to find we'll see what we can try next.

    Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

  • shaugland
    shaugland Member ✭✭
    > @"Quicken Francisco" said:
    > Hello Everyone
    >
    > Thank
    > you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. Recently someone else was having this issue as well and it looks like they were able to solve this by deactivating and reactivating the account  I'll leave steps below on how to do so.
    >
    >
    > First thing I'll recommend is to save a backup to revert back to just in case. You can find how to do so down below. 
    >
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
    >
    > Next we'll try deactivating all of the accounts. You can do so by following the article listed down below.
    >
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account
    >
    > Once all the accounts are deactivated go ahead and follow the article here on reconnecting the accounts.
    >
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/reactivating-deactivated-account
    >
    >  Once you've done this let us know how it goes! Depending what you're able to find we'll see what we can try next.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Quicken Francisco

    Unfortunately, my issue pertains to a manual account, so the issue does not lie with the connection to the bank.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    edited January 14
    Hello @shaugland

    Thank you for the response, although I am sorry to hear that the trouble continues to persist.

    At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

    https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

    Quicken Care has the ability to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time to review and locate the discrepancy to provide a resolution.

    Thank you,

    -Quicken Tyka

    ~~~***~~~
  • mpafumi77
    mpafumi77 Windows Beta Beta
    I am now having this problem too with one of my accounts.  Just started yesterday randomly.  Any further info on how to fix this?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod

    Hello @mpafumi77

    Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to ask your question.

    We'll need a bit more information to be able to assist.

    Please take a moment to review the information available here and post back to let us know what version and release of Quicken you are using.

    What type of account is this occurring with? Banking or Investing? How large is the discrepancy? 

    The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

    Thank you,

    -Quicken Tyka

    ~~~***~~~
Sign In or Register to comment.