The current balance listed in the side summary panel doesn't match current balance in account ledger

Options
ranman14
ranman14 Member ✭✭
The balance showing in the summary panel on the left side for one of my accounts does not match the current balance in the ledger for that account, overstating it by over $11,000. This incorrect balance is also listed in the All Accounts panel of the Home screen. The balance in the ledger itself is correct. The error is only with the first account listed in the account summary panel, as all the others match. I first noticed this a few days ago.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you haven’t already, you may want to verify the register is sorted appropriately and there aren’t any unexpected filters being applied:  open the register, select the Date column header (you want the small triangle to right of Date to point up) and Reset.
  • ranman14
    ranman14 Member ✭✭
    Options
    The balance on the account register is correct - the issue was with the balance listed in the summary of accounts on the left side of the screen being incorrect. However, I just re-opened Quicken to see if your suggestion would provide any benefit and now see that the summary balance is now correct without me doing anything. I'm not sure what happened, as I've closed and re-opened Quicken a few times since I first noticed this issue earlier in the week, and those times the issue remained. I'm an IT guy, so I go through the various internal checks assuming that the problem is on my end before reaching out to others. I guess this is one of those instances where the problem goes away when you bring attention to it. Hopefully it remains this way :)
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ranman14 said:
    The balance on the account register is correct - the issue was with the balance listed in the summary of accounts on the left side of the screen being incorrect. However, I just re-opened Quicken to see if your suggestion would provide any benefit and now see that the summary balance is now correct without me doing anything. I'm not sure what happened, as I've closed and re-opened Quicken a few times since I first noticed this issue earlier in the week, and those times the issue remained. I'm an IT guy, so I go through the various internal checks assuming that the problem is on my end before reaching out to others. I guess this is one of those instances where the problem goes away when you bring attention to it. Hopefully it remains this way :)
    Unless you have set the Register preference to Remember filters after Quicken closes, exiting and opening Quicken will reset the filters and sort the register appropriately.
  • ranman14
    ranman14 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Again, there were no issues with the register for that specific account - all of the transactions and balances were correct and in balance with my bank. The problem was with the summary which shows the current balances of all accounts, where the balance for the first account listed was incorrect but the rest matched their corresponding account registers. Additionally, I've had this issue for about a week and have open/closed Quicken multiple times since then and the issue persisted. I've been using Quicken for 20+ years and am familiar with most of its functionality. All I can think of is that maybe there was a fix loaded when I performed the update this morning that didn't get completely implemented until Quicken was restarted a little bit later.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Options
    ranman14 said:
    Again, there were no issues with the register for that specific account - all of the transactions and balances were correct and in balance with my bank. The problem was with the summary which shows the current balances of all accounts, where the balance for the first account listed was incorrect but the rest matched their corresponding account registers. Additionally, I've had this issue for about a week and have open/closed Quicken multiple times since then and the issue persisted. I've been using Quicken for 20+ years and am familiar with most of its functionality. All I can think of is that maybe there was a fix loaded when I performed the update this morning that didn't get completely implemented until Quicken was restarted a little bit later.
    Quicken updates have been known to alter preferences.

As your issue appears to be unique, it isn't likely the R29.9 update fixed the issue.  You may want to consider performing the Copy and Validate if just to see what it reports: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • jschwaller
    Options
    I am having the exact same problem - Register on the first account (in my case, Checking) is correct, but the amount in the Account List is wrong as is the amount of that account on the Home Screen net worth report/graph.
  • jschwaller
    Options
    Any movement or fix for this issue?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Account Bar, usually shown on the left side of the Quicken window, has two settings when it comes to showing balances:
    Show Current Balance and Show Ending Balance
    Click the gear icon in the Account Bar header to see available settings.
    That could / should explain why your Account Bar balance as shown appears to be off

• shaugland
    shaugland Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am also experiencing the same issue. Changing the setting for how the account balances are shown does not solve the issue.

Within the account ledger, the account is reconciled and the balance is correct. However, the account list on the left side of the screen displays an incorrect value for a single account. This is throwing off the net worth calculation. Any fix for this?
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello Everyone

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. Recently someone else was having this issue as well and it looks like they were able to solve this by deactivating and reactivating the account  I'll leave steps below on how to do so.

First thing I'll recommend is to save a backup to revert back to just in case. You can find how to do so down below. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Next we'll try deactivating all of the accounts. You can do so by following the article listed down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account

Once all the accounts are deactivated go ahead and follow the article here on reconnecting the accounts.

https://www.quicken.com/support/reactivating-deactivated-account

Once you've done this let us know how it goes! Depending what you're able to find we'll see what we can try next.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• shaugland
    shaugland Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @"Quicken Francisco" said:
    > Hello Everyone
    >
    > Thank
    > you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. Recently someone else was having this issue as well and it looks like they were able to solve this by deactivating and reactivating the account  I'll leave steps below on how to do so.
    >
    >
    > First thing I'll recommend is to save a backup to revert back to just in case. You can find how to do so down below. 
    >
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
    >
    > Next we'll try deactivating all of the accounts. You can do so by following the article listed down below.
    >
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account
    >
    > Once all the accounts are deactivated go ahead and follow the article here on reconnecting the accounts.
    >
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/reactivating-deactivated-account
    >
    >  Once you've done this let us know how it goes! Depending what you're able to find we'll see what we can try next.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Quicken Francisco

Unfortunately, my issue pertains to a manual account, so the issue does not lie with the connection to the bank.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Hello @shaugland

Thank you for the response, although I am sorry to hear that the trouble continues to persist.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the ability to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time to review and locate the discrepancy to provide a resolution.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • mpafumi77
    mpafumi77 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Options
    I am now having this problem too with one of my accounts.  Just started yesterday randomly.  Any further info on how to fix this?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @mpafumi77

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to ask your question.

We'll need a bit more information to be able to assist.

Please take a moment to review the information available here and post back to let us know what version and release of Quicken you are using.

What type of account is this occurring with? Banking or Investing? How large is the discrepancy? 

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Stacey
    Stacey Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I had the same thing happen today. This is for a credit card balance. The Account bar amount is less than the ending balance in the register? For a credit card, there is no option to check or uncheck "show savings goals", not that you would need to. I have a savings account that I use savings goals with. I went to that totally unrelated account and toggled the hide show saving goals and that corrected the issue for the credit card account??

Some days, I think I'm going to go off grid. I spend so much time with stuff like this, trying to figure out what is broken technology related. I hate to think how much time I waste.
  • timberwolf06
    timberwolf06 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Ranman14, I have had the same issue, twice now. Both with USAA accounts if that is helpful. Like you, I went to communities like this for answers and found none. I got similar replies like, 'are you sure your computer has electricity running to it'. Completely unhelpful. Let me tell you what worked for me. Since I stored my file on a cloud server, I was able to restore the previous version. The first time this happened, what I had to do was create a new account, then "Cut and Paste" all of the transactions over. The old account then had a $14,000 balance in the account bar with absolutely zero transactions and a $0 balance in the transaction pain (with zero filters set). Then once everything was transferred over (it took some time to transfer thousands of transactions), everything was good and I was able to delete the old account. Pain in the you know what. The cloud previous version restore was much simpler though. Highly recommend storing the file on a cloud for that reason.
This discussion has been closed.