Recently categorized expenses not being added to category in budget

When I add a new expenses to a category and go to the budget the view the result, some of the new expenses are not being added to the budget. If I click on the expenses for that category in the current month I see the transaction in the list, but it's not being added to the total. After about 15 minutes the transaction does get added in.

Best Answer

Answers

• Hello @blane245,
    Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.
    First, could you please provide which version release of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken
    To start with, the first thing that I suggest you try is to validate your data file by following the steps below--
    1. First Save a backup of your data file (just in case
    2. Go to File
    3. File Operations
    4. Validate and Repair
    5. Validate File
    6. Ok
    7. Close the data log that will pop-up after the validation has completed
    8. Close Quicken
    9. Wait at least 5 seconds
    10. Reopen Quicken
    11. Try again to see if the issue reoccurs/remains the same or gets corrected
    You can also try super validating which are the same steps as above except that you will hold Ctrl and Shift on your keyboard when clicking on Validate and Repair in order to get the option for Super Validate.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• I am running R29.12. When I ran validate it fixed an error on a transaction in an inactive account that wasn't being used in the budget. Each time I open the budget now it takes a little time to recalculate. Maybe the bad transaction was giving it a problem.

I'll reopen this is I still am having problems.
  • Thank you for providing the update!

Hopefully, the issue won't reoccur from here, but definitely don't hesitate to reach back out if it does. We'll be happy to help!

-Quicken Anja

• I'm afraid that recommendation did not work. I entered some new data today and it doesn't appear in the budget. I restarted Quicken and the value was corrected.
  • Thanks for checking back and letting me know.

In that case, I recommend that you create a copy of your data file by following the instructions provided below in an attempt to rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables.
    1. Go to File
    2. File Operations
    3. Copy...
    4. Leave the presets as is and click OK
    5. Wait for the copy procedure to complete
    6. Select New copy and click OK  

Once the newly copied file opens, try again to see if the issue persists or resolves. If it does persist, please, try validating and super validating again (in the copied file).

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• So that didn't work. I did stop and restart Quicken and the budget category got updated.
    Here is some more information. When I see actual expenses for the category I see the old number. If I pick that number I get a popup that shows all of a list of all of the transactions that go into its calculation. There is a sum at the bottom of that screen. That sum is correct, while the number in the budget is wrong.
    I've notice that if I wait for a long time (30 minutes), the number will be correct the next time I view the budget.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @blane245

Thank you for the response and the additional details.

To help isolate the cause of this issue, can you please confirm where the Quicken data file stored? If you need assistance in locating the Quicken data file, please see the link below

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-find-quicken-data-file-quicken-windows

Please let me know!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • blane245
    blane245 Member
    My Quicken data file is in My Documents folder in a subfolder called Accounts. ITs name is Home.QDF
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @blane245

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although. I apologize that you have not received a follow-up response. 

If you have not done so already, please try installing the newest patch available at the link below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

Do you see any improvement in this behavior after doing so?

Please let us know!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • blane245
    blane245 Member
    The behavior is still there. The latest problem was that I changed the category of an entry and looked at the budget. The amount was $5. The budget actual showed $86 and the popup when I clicked the actual showed $91.
This discussion has been closed.