Reconcile windows loses focus while Clearing transactions.

John S.
John S. Member ✭✭
edited January 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I am in the process of reconciling my investment account. In the Reconcile window, while hitting space bar to Clear transactions, when I clear a ReinvDiv transaction. Windows focus changes to the main Register window. I need to click back into to reconcile window to resume the clearing of transactions.

This is not major, but a big annoyance. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Answers

• Hello @John S.,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

First, could you please provide which version release of Quicken you currently have running?
    • Help > About Quicken
    Also, when did this issue first start happening? And is it only doing for one account in particular or all your investment accounts?

Please, check back and let us know, thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• John S.
    John S. Member ✭✭
    I am running Q Premier 2020, Ver R29.12. It looks like it is happening multiple accounts and multiple files. There is no way to know when this started. I just happened to discover this because I was working in a different file than I usually do.

Normally, in my main file I download the investment transactions from my brokerage and the reinvested dividends get accepted as 'cleared'. This makes them automatically checked in the Reconcile window. In this different file, I needed to add some ReinvDiv transactions manually. When I reconciled this account and file, I found the issue.

I then went back to my main file and Uncleared a ReinvDiv transaction and attempted to reconcile. The issue occurred in my main file. Given this, I think it maybe a general problem and not with a specific file or account.

Thank you for looking into this.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited October 2020
    Thank you for providing the additional details.

To start with, there was a new update version released (R29.16) since R29.12. I suggest you try updating to the new one first, if you haven't already, to see if it resolves the issue.
    • Help > Check for updates

If the issue still persists even after updating to the latest version, then please, check back again and we'll go from there!

-Quicken Anja

• John S.
    John S. Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    I really appreciate that you are spending effort on this.

I just checked and I am on the latest update available to me (R29.12, Build 27.1.29.12). If there is a newer version it hasn't been made available to me yet.

I have just run a test. I create a brand new Quicken data file and created a new Q account to access my brokerage. The file and Quicken account creation went exactly as expected. Quicken added all securities and Sweep cash balance correctly. It downloaded and accepted into the register all transaction for the last 60 days.

In the register, I selected and marked as 'Uncleared' several transactions with various Actions: Div, Cash (Withdrawal), ReinvDiv, Added. I then reconciled the account with my latest statement. I used the space bar and/or clicked an item to set the item with a Check ('Cleared' ). When I did this on the ReinvDiv items, the windows focus jumped from the Reconcile dialog to the main Quicken window. This happened when I click an item or hit space bar.

This indicates to me that this is a hard failure in Quicken, at least on my system. The only way to tell otherwise is to try and duplicate it on a different system. I don't see a need to update to a newer version unless it can be shown that the issue has been fixed in the newer version you reference. Although, I will be updating, as I always do, when the new version reaches me.
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you.

I did try to see if I could replicate the issue but was unsuccessful in doing so. However, I am running R29.16 on my own Quicken program. Since it is working as expected on my program, I would suggest updating your version to the most current release to see if it will resolve on its own.

Since you mentioned you were unable to install R29.16 via Check for updates, here is a support article you can download and install the newest release from instead.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja

• John S.
    John S. Member ✭✭
    I installed the QW27.1.29.16MPatch. The same behavior is occurring with this version. I have no idea where to go from here.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I can reproduce this problem.   I'm also running R29.16.
    Start with one ReinvDiv transaction not cleared.

Type Ctrl+R.

Type in zero balance and select OK.
    Reconcile windows comes up.  Notice that the title bar is brown showing that it has focus.

Hit space bar or use mouse to clear the transaction.
    What happens is you get a busy cursor while it fills in the cleared field in the transaction in the register, and at the same time this window loses focus.
    It never gets it back.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • John S.
    John S. Member ✭✭
    Chris_QPW: Thank you for reproducing the problem.

Quicken Anja: I don't think there is any more I can do about this. Please report it to Quicken Support.

Thank you.
  • Quicken Anja
    edited October 2020
    @Chris_QPW, thank you for providing steps and screenshots to recreate this issue.

@John S., I apologize as I initially misunderstood and was under the impression that it would also switch windows and minimize the reconcile window, instead of just losing focus, but still remain open. I just tested it myself again by following the instructions provided by Chris step-by-step and did end up with the same result. So, I went ahead and submitted a bug report for this to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution.

Unfortunately, we won't have an ETA on this, however, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future update release.

Thank you for your patience and for bringing awareness to this issue!

-Quicken Anja

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Anja.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quicken Anja
    Chris_QPW said:
    Thanks Anja.
    You're welcome! :)

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.