Home Welcome to the Community! The Water Cooler

Has anyone noticed the new "Simple - Positions Only" tracking method for investment accounts?

Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
edited October 12 in The Water Cooler
I was looking at the account details and noticed this new option.

The register is replaced with this page.

(I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)

Comments

• miklkmiklk Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭
    It's been in for a few revisions although hidden at 1st

Looks like a good option for beginners or IRAs where you don't need or want cost basis, performance tracking etc...

It solves placeholders because it just matches what broker sends
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was released as "Beta" a couple of versions ago. I have not tried it yet.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping it works better than the "online loans"!   :wink:

I wonder if it will play well with 401K accounts.
  • Quicken HughQuicken Hugh Moderator, Employee mod
    @Chris_QPW,
    I switched my own 401K acct over to show the Simple tracking method (as it's a target-date fund and I don't, myself, buy or sell from within that acct; I just contribute to the acct and let the fund managers do their thing). The Simple tracking is much more graphic-based, rather than getting into text-based details. I find it to be more of a 'view from 20 thousand feet' - granted, it is different. It's been playing well with Fidelity thus far.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20
    Chris_QPW said:
    I played with it when I first discovered it.... now can't find it again.... R29.12
    Where or how to find it again ?
    BTW.... what version are you running.... @Chris_QPW

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
    ps56k said:
    Chris_QPW said:
    I played with it when I first discovered it.... now can't find it again.... R29.12
    Where or how to find it again ?

R29.12 might be too old of a release to have it.  It is on the Account Details -> General tab.

I have played with it a bit and not found a problem, but I will point out that there is a thread from one user that said it changed the value of his account by 80%.

I do like the fact that you can switch back (unlike the close account function, or the downloading of loans, ...)
    P.S. I'm wrong, looking through the release notes it was introduced in R29.9.
    edited October 20
    I wonder if it was withdrawn..... as I don't see it now using  - R29.12 -
    R29.9 -
    Improvement: Added the ability to use the Simple Investing beta when adding investment accounts through the Add Account process.

ps56k said:
    I wonder if it was withdrawn..... as I don't see it now using  - R29.12 -

It is in the the R29.22 version I'm using.
    edited October 20
    To enable Simple Investing, go to Edit > Preferences> Investment Transactions and check the Enable Simple Investing box. Then the Tracking Method box will appear in the Account Details for your investing accounts.
    edited October 21
    To enable Simple Investing, go to Edit > Preferences> Investment Transactions and check the Enable Simple Investing box. Then the Tracking Method box will appear in the Account Details for your investing accounts.
    ARRGHHH - thanks -
    might have been reset to OFF between releases... or I forgot -
    @Jim_Harman Thanks it either defaulted to on for me, or just forgot about that setting.
    Above I posted that there was a complaint about this feature in another thread.  I see that the person posting that said that it was working for him now.  Thought might be that he didn't wait for Quicken to recalculate.
    I experimented briefly with this using a test file and a manual account.

It seems to work nicely; the account's transaction list is replaced with a display that looks a lot like the new investing Dashboard. 

To update the share balances in a manual account, you click on the gear at the top right and select Update Share Balance. Be sure to select the security to update by using the down-arrow in this dialog and not by typing in the security name or you may end up creating a new security by mistake.

It is possible to switch back to "Complete" tracking but I noticed that any Placeholders in the original account are replaced with Added or Removed transactions when you switch back. This could make it more difficult to enter all the original transactions at some point in the future. 

I suppose a more likely scenario is that a user would start with simple tracking then switch to Complete for future transactions. This would require some effort to establish the correct cost basis and tax lots.