tax exempt interest

Jeanne
Jeanne Member ✭✭
edited November 2020 in Reports (Windows)
Any advice on how to get a simple report that can distinguish _IntInc and _IntIncTaxFree ? I double checked that the securities are described as munis paying tax free income. But all the interest -- taxable and not -- still all ends up in one pot (_IntInc). Virtually all of this income comes through a CMA account at Merrill Lynch, and I've set up the linked checking account to handle the cash. But to get the report I want (a) I have to edit a whole lot of transactions (tedious!) and therefore (b) I lose the transactions in the source brokerage account (which seems like something that could come back to haunt me). Am I missing something obvious? Alternatively, has anyone come up with a clever workaround?

Best Answer

Answers

  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you have selected Tax Free as @Sherlock recommends, the Investing > Investment Income report should meet your needs.

    Note that different reports in Quicken include different sets of accounts by default. If you are looking at one of the Spending reports, you will need to click the gear at the top right to customize it then select the Accounts tab and select the investing account to be included in the report and show the investing income as _IntIncTaxFree rather than a transfer to the linked checking account.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Jeanne
    Jeanne Member ✭✭
    The account was selected in the report settings, as was the category. The income was showing up on the report. It was just mis-characterized.

    The problem WAS the tax-free checkbox. It had been unchecked and I did click it last night, but it didn't take. The only explanation I can think of is that maybe I did not click OK, which is really really embarrassing. If I escaped out of that dialog rather than clicking OK, that would have done it. So thanks for sending me back there. I think I'll limit the number of hours here as well. :-(

    Thanks to both of you,
    Jeanne
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Clicking that checkbox will, probably, not correct already recorded transactions ... just future ones.
    Try using the Find/Replace function  to change already recorded transactions.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    Clicking that checkbox will, probably, not correct already recorded transactions ... just future ones.
    Try using the Find/Replace function  to change already recorded transactions.
    @NotACPA  Checking the checkbox does correct existing transactions.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Sherlock said:
    NotACPA said:
    Clicking that checkbox will, probably, not correct already recorded transactions ... just future ones.
    Try using the Find/Replace function  to change already recorded transactions.
    @NotACPA  Checking the checkbox does correct existing transactions.

    Thanks for the correction.  Many changes aren't retro-active ...so I'm a bit surprised that this one is.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    Sherlock said:
    NotACPA said:
    Clicking that checkbox will, probably, not correct already recorded transactions ... just future ones.
    Try using the Find/Replace function  to change already recorded transactions.
    @NotACPA  Checking the checkbox does correct existing transactions.

    Thanks for the correction.  Many changes aren't retro-active ...so I'm a bit surprised that this one is.
    @NotACPA   Okay.  I'll bite.  Which changes applied using the Edit Security Details window are not retroactive?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    I was thinking more generally .... not about that particular dialog.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
This discussion has been closed.