First Budget

Newbie trying to transition from an excel based budget (again). What is most efficient way to create a budget based on the categories I've laid out in the transactions section? The Quicken "suggested" categories leaves out so many of my categories. And the "add categories" option seems tedious to go one by one with all my subcategories. Maybe my categories are so narrow and numerous that it just isn't easy to set it up.
My transaction section on the dash looks great. Wish there was a way to just take all those categories and create a budget in an automated fashion. Am i missing something?
Thank you so much for any direction!

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you want to select all of the categories in a budget, select Options > Select All on the Select Categories to Budget window:

If you want to add the categories from your excel based budget to your Quicken file and you're comfortable with text file editing, we may import categories using a QIF file: select File > File import > QIF File...  The format of the QIF file is simple and you may export the Category List to a QIF file to use as an example: File > File export > QIF File...

• jimredsox
    jimredsox Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the response! Im still confused. I can't find the "Options Window"
    All i see is the screen shot. When I select all these categories it only includes the most used categories. I have Quicken Deluxe edition if that helps any.
    Thanks again!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @jimredsox you are on Quicken Web which is the companion app to the full Desktop version.  Budgets can only be created on the Desktop version and then synced to Quicken Mobile/Web.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jimredsox
    jimredsox Member ✭✭
    Wow.... im totally messed up then... this is going to really sound dumb so i apologize in advance. I paid for Quicken Deluxe. Should I have downloaded the full version some how?
    Thanks Chris!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. that goes for adding categories too.  You would be adding them to the Desktop data file, and then going into the budget there and including the categories you want there, and then syncing to Quicken Web/Mobile to get the new updated budget there.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jimredsox
    jimredsox Member ✭✭
    I have the ability to add categories and create a budget with what I have now. I can select the categories manually but don't want to do this. very cumbersome.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    jimredsox said:
    Wow.... im totally messed up then... this is going to really sound dumb so i apologize in advance. I paid for Quicken Deluxe. Should I have downloaded the full version some how?
    Thanks Chris!
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @jimredsox

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question. I wanted to clarify that Quicken is a desktop application.

Quicken does offer a mobile and web companion app, however, the software will need to be installed and the sync feature enabled. There is no option to use Quicken solely on the web.

If you are still needing assistance, I would consider using the link below to schedule a callback with our Quicken team for help getting started.

https://www.quicken.com/support/help-getting-started-quicken

If you are needing a web-based application, Quicken has a new product Simplifi, that may better suit your needs.

https://www.simplifimoney.com/

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • jimredsox
    jimredsox Member ✭✭
    Thanks Tyka. I figured it out based on the various messages above. I created my first budget!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear that you have figured out how to set up your budget and your accounts and your transactions in Quicken on the desktop.
    Please do not forget the following:

How to properly set up Quicken Backup
    How to make Quicken create a backup for you automatically every time you close Quicken
    What Quicken backups are available where?

For the sake of this discussion it is assumed that your Quicken data file is located in the Default (and recommended) place: C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken

Review the backup settings available in Quicken (under Edit / Preferences / Backup).

In there you will find two types of backup: Automatic and Manual Backup.

Automatic Backup should be enabled and always goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the folder which contains your current Quicken data file, e.g. \Documents\Quicken\Backup. Set it to create a backup after running Quicken [1] times and to keep [9] (or more, your choice) backup copies.
    The file name for Automatic Backup files contains a date and time stamp as part of the file name, e.g. QDATA-2020-03-22.PM03.45.QDF-backup

To create a Manual Backup copy of your Quicken data file on an external device (USB-hard drive or USB memory stick recommended), put a checkmark at "Manual Backup Reminder" to enable the function and set "Remind me after running Quicken [xx] times" to [1].

Click OK to save the changes.

From now on, when you close Quicken using the red X button, you will get a popup window.

When you get this window for the first time, on some versions click the radio button for "Backup on my computer".
    Change the Backup File name's drive letter and path to point to your external device so that it looks something like this: E:\Quicken Backup\QDATA-2019-04-01.QDF-backup
    or use the Change button and work your way through the dialog.

Do not change the filename portion! Just overtype the drive letter and choose a backup folder name. If the folder does not exist, it will be created.

Also choose the option to "Add date to backup file name".

Every day when you run Backup or close Quicken, an additional backup file is created. Without the Add Date option you only have 1 backup copy which is overwritten every day ... and that may prove bad in a problem recovery situation.

Allow this backup to run to save the changes made on the screen.

Of course, once in a while you will have to go in and delete some of the oldest backup files, at your discretion, to avoid filling up your USB device.

One can never have enough backups of a Quicken data file. BTDTGTS!

This discussion has been closed.