Why is Bank of America Bill Payment Downloads Overwriting Manual Entries and Not Matching?

I make my online bill payments via Bank of America online banking. Then I enter the transaction in my Quicken Register from Bill and Income Reminders. It has always just matched perfectly when downloaded until recent weeks where it deletes my entry and adds its own during the update process. This is is very frustrating because my entries include the appropriate splits and account coding. I have turned off all auto entry in every setting I can find. Please advise if there is a fix or a planned fix ASAP.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @jenngine,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

If you haven't already, I suggest you create a copy of your data file in an attempt to rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. Then, try to Validate your data file in the copied file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you also Save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps (just in case).
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Copy...
    4. Leave the presets as is and click OK
    5. Wait for the copy procedure to complete
    6. Select New Copy and click OK                                                                              
    7. Once the newly copied file opens, navigate back to the File menu
    8. Select File Operations
    9. Validate and Repair...
    10. Select Validate file
    11. Click OK
    12. Close the Data Log
    13. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    14. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate the copied file by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 9) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

If this does not resolve the issue, you can either switch back to your original file or restore the backup you saved prior to performing the above troubleshooting instructions (both the original and backup files should remain unaffected by the steps performed in the copied file).

Follow the steps below to switch back to your original file
    :
    1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jenngine
    jenngine Member ✭✭
    My version is Quicken - Deluxe; Year 2020; Version R31.6; Build 27.1.31.6.

I have already done data validation and restored the file. This is not a data issue this is a download and programming issue. Please reply with an answer from a technician regarding if this is universal, unique to Bank of America, related to this recent update, etc..
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Hello @jenngine

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you have not received a follow-up response.

There are currently no know alerts for Bank of America, there are a handful of posts regarding issues related to sync, however, more troubleshooting is required to be able to determine if this is an existing issue.

I would create a test file and add the Bank of America accounts and see if you get the same issue. To do so, please go to File > New Quicken File... and add the Bank of America account. This will help determine if the issue is related to the file/application or the financial institution. 

Please let us know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • jenngine
    jenngine Member ✭✭
    I have performed the test per your instructions above and the same issue occurs. I have confirmed that the universal setting and account level settings are set not to download or record anything automatically but it just overrides that setting and brings in transactions. And with the latest Quicken update it is happening to all of my bank and credit card accounts so I believe this is a Quicken issue and not on the bank side. Please escalate to an engineer and let me know when a fix can be expected.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @jenngine,

Thank you for trying the steps previously provided, though I'm sorry to hear that the issue persists.

Since the same issue occurred in the test file, at this point, I would recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support instead, for more extensive troubleshooting. Our support agents will need to collect and review your log files in order to be able to file an escalation if necessary.

I apologize that our efforts from the Community were unable to resolve this for you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jenngine
    jenngine Member ✭✭
    UPDATE 2/5/21: Per the latest Quicken update this was clearly a known issue. The list of fixes includes - "Register comparison was automatically matching manual entries with downloaded entries for some customers who had disabled Automatically add to banking registers."

Perhaps the moderators for the Quicken Community could have better tie in with the developers regarding known issues being worked on. It would certainly save some user frustration. Thx.
This discussion has been closed.