Quicken has 15 minute delay on stock quotes

Way back in the 1990s, I used to get my stock quotes with a 15 minute delay from my Compuserve dial up phone connection.((Wiki this if you don't know what Compuserve was).

Today, over twenty years later Quicken still has 15 minute delays on stock prices which makes it virtually unusable for daily stock transactions. Considering the the hefty price you charge for your best version on your now yearly subscription plan this is absolutely unbelievable. Is Quicken really that stingy.

FYI The delayed stock quotes were a major reason investors abandoned Quicken when it was still owned by Intuit.

[removed - no soliciting]

Comments

  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    Some of the public stock price listing portals are delayed by 15-20 mins...
    Quicken is a financial record keeping software package -
    it is not a "trading platform" -
    [EDIT] - also updated the topic title to better reflect the actual Q&A
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • jdfsau
    jdfsau Member
    edited March 23
    Are you sure. about others using delayed quotes. I am finding that virtually all of the portals are real time quotes (Yahoo.[Removed - Solication] etc) . You are simply making excuses for Quicken being too cheap to have real time quotes.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    I get immediate quotes from my brokerage, Fidelity Investments, because I'm a customer of their "Private Client Group".
    Quotes come in  from your brokerage before they come in from Yahoo, etc.

    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @jdfsau - It seems to me that what you want is a tool for getting real time stock market data so you can make real time decisions and actions on stock trades.  If that is the case, then no personal financial management (PFM) tool in the market today (at least, none that I am aware of) has that capability.  Unless a PFM also offers real time market trading capability there is no real benefit to having real time stock market prices.
    If this is what you want, then you might want to look into the highly specialized various real time trading tools offered by many brokerages.  They won't have the broad financial management focus of Quicken and other PFMs but they will provide you with the ability to do split second analysis and trading.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R34.15 on Windows 10)
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 27
    IF your trading is at Fidelity Investments, and IF you qualify for it ... see if you can get Fidelity's "Active Trader Pro".  But note that such is a trading platform, and not a "Personal Financial Manager"
    Otherwise, you might need to execute your trades on the brokerage's website ... if THEY provide you with real time quotes.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    NotACPA said:
    I get immediate quotes from my brokerage, Fidelity Investments, because I'm a customer of their "Private Client Group".
    Quotes come in  from your brokerage before they come in from Yahoo, etc.
    I have the Fidelity APP and use it all the time to track my stocks...
    However - I do NOT log into my Fidelity account, and the quotes are "delayed".
    Just looked at Feed & Watch List .... 1:28 "delayed" .... and it is currently 1:43
    After I log into my acct - the timestamps are the same 1:47 and no "delayed"
    Also... tried my other Apps.... NOT logged in - just quick quote lookup
    Fidelity App - times delayed - 1:43 --> 1:28 = 15
    Schwab App - times delayed - 1:56 --> 1:39 = 17
    Vanguard App - "quotes delayed at least 20 minutes"


    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well here is my opinion on this.

    Anyone that is going to try to use Quicken as "real time" is going to be very disappointed. Quicken has never been real time in anything it does.  Yes sometimes you can get transactions and such right after they happen, but none of that is guaranteed.  If that you what you need, you are using the wrong tool.

    Past that if you find a site that lets you get real time quotes for free and you need it that "use it", but Quicken Inc is going to have to PAY for that level of service.  And guess who is going to have to PAY Quicken Inc for the increased cost.

    I for one don't want real time quotes at an extra cost.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said: Anyone that is going to try to use Quicken as "real time" is going to be very disappointed. Quicken has never been real time in anything it does.
    As we know -
    Quicken has a hard enough time getting Mutual Fund quotes before midnight -

    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Ps56k2 said:
    NotACPA said:
    I get immediate quotes from my brokerage, Fidelity Investments, because I'm a customer of their "Private Client Group".
    Quotes come in  from your brokerage before they come in from Yahoo, etc.
    I have the Fidelity APP and use it all the time to track my stocks...
    However - I do NOT log into my Fidelity account, and the quotes are "delayed".
    Just looked at Feed & Watch List .... 1:28 "delayed" .... and it is currently 1:43
    After I log into my acct - the timestamps are the same 1:47 and no "delayed"
    Also... tried my other Apps.... NOT logged in - just quick quote lookup
    Fidelity App - times delayed - 1:43 --> 1:28 = 15
    Schwab App - times delayed - 1:56 --> 1:39 = 17
    Vanguard App - "quotes delayed at least 20 minutes"



    Maybe,in ATP, I'm getting realtime quotes because of my status with Fidelity ... never noticed this before.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
This discussion has been closed.