Removing Old Accounts From Transfer List

When I transfer money from one account to another, the drop-down list shows all old closed accounts. How do I get the drop-down list to only show active accounts?

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    AR53 said:
    When I transfer money from one account to another, the drop-down list shows all old closed accounts. How do I get the drop-down list to only show active accounts?
    You can't.  This has been a long standing problem with the way Quicken treats "transfers", not to mention some bugs.

Quicken Windows uses the category field for entering the transfer account with the syntax [Other Account].  That makes "what it is" ambiguous.  Is it a category?  No it isn't.  Is it an account? if yes what is it doing in the category field and showing up on the category list window?

People think of this as an "account" and expect that when they set the account to "Hide in Transaction Entry Lists" that it won't be shown in the "category field".  Note that the account does get hidden in "true account entry lists".

To make things even worse old data files don't hide these in the category entry list, but they are hidden in new data files.  But in the new data files if you select to show "hidden categories" these will still not show up.

So totally inconsistent syntax and how it is applied.

What's more these "Transfer accounts" show up in the category list, but they don't allow you to select the "hide" check box for them.

In my opinion since they should on the category list they should allow for hiding them there, and that this flow to all the category entry lists.

Maybe some day.  In the meantime what a lot of people do is to add something like Z_ to the front of the account name so that they will at least be at the end of the list.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @AR53,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

If you don't mind, I would just like to gain some clarification first in order to better assist you further.

Are the closed accounts you are referring to also hidden or are they still visible and accessible from the Account list sidebar? 

Please, check back and let us know! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• AR53
    AR53 Member ✭✭
    I am currently on R31.12
    I am talking about closed accounts with the boxes for hiding the account in lists and keeping the account separate checked.
    Thanks,
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    AR53 said:
    You can't.  This has been a long standing problem with the way Quicken treats "transfers", not to mention some bugs.

Quicken Windows uses the category field for entering the transfer account with the syntax [Other Account].  That makes "what it is" ambiguous.  Is it a category?  No it isn't.  Is it an account? if yes what is it doing in the category field and showing up on the category list window?

People think of this as an "account" and expect that when they set the account to "Hide in Transaction Entry Lists" that it won't be shown in the "category field".  Note that the account does get hidden in "true account entry lists".

To make things even worse old data files don't hide these in the category entry list, but they are hidden in new data files.  But in the new data files if you select to show "hidden categories" these will still not show up.

So totally inconsistent syntax and how it is applied.

What's more these "Transfer accounts" show up in the category list, but they don't allow you to select the "hide" check box for them.

In my opinion since they should on the category list they should allow for hiding them there, and that this flow to all the category entry lists.

Maybe some day.  In the meantime what a lot of people do is to add something like Z_ to the front of the account name so that they will at least be at the end of the list.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • AR53
    AR53 Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your response. I understand now and will probable rename the closed accounts to add the Z.
    Thanks,