Bank of America HSA

gershbec
gershbec Member ✭✭
Has anyone been able to get Bank of America HSA to download transactions? It's listed as an online account and I am (seemingly) able to log in when I set it up but nothing ever downloads. I have it set up as a Savings account. No error messages either. In the Account Status window it says that it has never downloaded transactions. Ideas?

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @gershbec

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

I would start by creating a test file to test if you are also unable to connect to a new file.

To create a test file, please go to File > New > Start From Scratch.

Once in the test file please add the account in question and let us know if you get the same response or if you are able to successfully add the account.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • gershbec
    gershbec Member ✭✭
    It seems to work in the test file only. The online balance is reflected and the account status window says that it has downloaded information. It doesn't download all the transactions but I guess that's because they're in the past?
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @gershbec

Thanks for letting us know more. Do you have transactions within the last 3 months inside the account itself? If not then you should only see the balance. We'll need this extra bit of information so that we're able to see what we're able to do next.

Once you get a chance please let us know a bit more.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • gershbec
    gershbec Member ✭✭
    Yes I do. In fact I only have 3 months of transactions since this account only opened up in January.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @gershbec,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Community and tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this and for not having received a follow-up response yet.
    gershbec said:
    It seems to work in the test file only. The online balance is reflected and the account status window says that it has downloaded information. It doesn't download all the transactions but I guess that's because they're in the past?
    When transactions are older than 30 to 90 days, most likely they won't download as most financial institutions don't release these older transactions for downloads (timeframe limits vary from bank to bank and sometimes differ depending on the account types, though most banks have a 90-day timeframe limit).

Since the transactions downloaded successfully in the test file, then what I suggest you try next is to export and import the data from your current data file into the new (test) file you created. Then, move forward using the new file if the data has been successfully imported. Doing this will copy your data into the new file without affecting your original file. Should this not work, then you can always switch back to the original file afterward.

If you would like to try this, please, follow the steps below.
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Export
    3. Quicken Transfer File (QXF)...
    4. Save the exported file where you can easily locate it (i.e.: DeskTop)
    5. Navigate back to File
    6. Open Recent
    7. Select the name of the test file you previously created and were able to download transactions successfully in (if you still have it, otherwise; create a new file and download the account again)
    8. Once the file opens, navigate back to File
    9. Import
    10. Quicken Windows File (QDF, QXF)... (even if you are on Mac)
    11. Select the .QXF file you previously exported
    12. Click Ok once you receive the message saying that the import was successful

Once that is done, you should see that all your banking accounts (Checking, savings, money markets, credit cards, etc) were added to this new data file.

Please note that you will need to re-establish online connections in the new file for any other accounts you have that are set up for automatic downloads. Any investment accounts (if you have them) will remain in your original file and will not be imported to the new file as these account types do not export nor import.

More detailed information regarding what .QXF files do and/or do not export/import can be found in this support article under the section titled "More about QXF files". 

If this resolves the issue for you, then you can rename and move forward using this new file. If needed, below are steps to rename the file.
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Rename

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• gershbec
    gershbec Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021
    The transactions did not download to the test file. It was only able to read the current online balance. I have transactions that have happened in the last week and all the way back to the beginning of the year. Plus, the Account Status windows says that it has never been updated (see attachment).

So transactions are not being downloaded to either the test or live file for Bank of America HSA.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    @gershbec Thanks for clarifying, and I apologize for the misunderstanding!

In that case, with the transactions not downloading in either of the data files, I suspect that Bank of America's servers may not be releasing these transactions to Quicken. Some financial institutions also tend to not support transaction downloads for certain account types, may require a specific connection type (i.e.: Quicken Connect vs Direct Connect), or may even have authorization requirements for certain account types in order to connect. All of which would depend on their policy and servers.

Therefore, I suggest contacting Bank of America directly to ask about these details mentioned above and find out whether or not they support transaction downloads specifically for HSA accounts to Quicken. 

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• I have the same problem/issue. This makes it very difficult to manage my HSA account. It would be great if folks at Quicken could lean on BoA to work with Quicken. I don't get anywhere with BoA as a consumer.
  • Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello, @Gigi Shopper.

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to report this issue, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this. Could you please send us your log files by going to Help and then Report a Problem? This will allow us to look through the code to see where the issue lies. 

In addition, could you please send us three or more examples of transactions from the last 3 months so that we can cross-reference your logs to check if the transactions are being received? We will need:
    • Payee, exactly as shown in your financial institution's register for the specified account
    • Date of the transaction 
    • Amount of the transaction
    • Screenshots of the aforementioned transactions in the register on the financial institution's website.
    You may send this information via DM so that your private information is not made public. I will open up a DM with you so that you may do as such. Once you have done this, please let us know and we will check the logs to see if the transactions have been sent. Thank you!

-Quicken September
This discussion has been closed.