Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How do I get Quicken to default to current year backup file

The Keeper
The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
I always carry two years of backup files for my Quicken data, currently 2020 and 2021. For some reason, when I backup to dropbox and a flash drive, the backup always defaults to my 2020 data and I have to select "change" and then scroll to my 2021 backup.
I haven't had this problem in past years and for some reason have a "brain cramp." Is there a way to have my backup default to the current year backup file?

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    The Quicken file backup is the currently opened Quicken file.  The name of the backup file is the name of the Quicken file with a QDF-backup suffix with an option of a date appended to the name.  The list of the backup paths is maintained in the QUSER.INI file in the user hidden AppData\Roaming\Quicken\config folder.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24 Accepted Answer
    This is the window that appears when I backup to an external device or dropbox. I have to click on the "change" button and then select the previous backup file that has the same path but reads C:\users\HP\Dropbox\Quicken 2021.QDF-backup.
    When I was backing up to an external source in 2020, it always defaulted to 2020 and not 2019. Just wondering why the backup now always goes back to 2020, even though I backup to the 2021 file.

As explained previously: The name of the backup file is the name of the Quicken file with a QDF-backup suffix with an option of a date appended to the name.  

As you can see in the image you have provided the name of the Quicken file you have open is Quicken 2020.QDF

I suggest you rename the current file.  For example, select File > Save a copy as..., specify Quicken 2021, select Save and Yes.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    The Quicken file backup is the currently opened Quicken file.  The name of the backup file is the name of the Quicken file with a QDF-backup suffix with an option of a date appended to the name.  The list of the backup paths is maintained in the QUSER.INI file in the user hidden AppData\Roaming\Quicken\config folder.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    It sounds like the date 2020 is part of your file name.  But the file name is unrelated to the contents of the file.
    My Q data file contains transactions that go back to 1983 (in my taxable investing account).
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is the window that appears when I backup to an external device or dropbox. I have to click on the "change" button and then select the previous backup file that has the same path but reads C:\users\HP\Dropbox\Quicken 2021.QDF-backup.
    When I was backing up to an external source in 2020, it always defaulted to 2020 and not 2019. Just wondering why the backup now always goes back to 2020, even though I backup to the 2021 file.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24 Accepted Answer

As explained previously: The name of the backup file is the name of the Quicken file with a QDF-backup suffix with an option of a date appended to the name.  

As you can see in the image you have provided the name of the Quicken file you have open is Quicken 2020.QDF

I suggest you rename the current file.  For example, select File > Save a copy as..., specify Quicken 2021, select Save and Yes.