How do I get Quicken to default to current year backup file

The Keeper
The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
I always carry two years of backup files for my Quicken data, currently 2020 and 2021. For some reason, when I backup to dropbox and a flash drive, the backup always defaults to my 2020 data and I have to select "change" and then scroll to my 2021 backup.
I haven't had this problem in past years and for some reason have a "brain cramp." Is there a way to have my backup default to the current year backup file?

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The Quicken file backup is the currently opened Quicken file.  The name of the backup file is the name of the Quicken file with a QDF-backup suffix with an option of a date appended to the name.  The list of the backup paths is maintained in the QUSER.INI file in the user hidden AppData\Roaming\Quicken\config folder.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    This is the window that appears when I backup to an external device or dropbox. I have to click on the "change" button and then select the previous backup file that has the same path but reads C:\users\HP\Dropbox\Quicken 2021.QDF-backup.
    When I was backing up to an external source in 2020, it always defaulted to 2020 and not 2019. Just wondering why the backup now always goes back to 2020, even though I backup to the 2021 file.

As explained previously: The name of the backup file is the name of the Quicken file with a QDF-backup suffix with an option of a date appended to the name.  

As you can see in the image you have provided the name of the Quicken file you have open is Quicken 2020.QDF

I suggest you rename the current file.  For example, select File > Save a copy as..., specify Quicken 2021, select Save and Yes.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The Quicken file backup is the currently opened Quicken file.  The name of the backup file is the name of the Quicken file with a QDF-backup suffix with an option of a date appended to the name.  The list of the backup paths is maintained in the QUSER.INI file in the user hidden AppData\Roaming\Quicken\config folder.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like the date 2020 is part of your file name.  But the file name is unrelated to the contents of the file.
    My Q data file contains transactions that go back to 1983 (in my taxable investing account).

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is the window that appears when I backup to an external device or dropbox. I have to click on the "change" button and then select the previous backup file that has the same path but reads C:\users\HP\Dropbox\Quicken 2021.QDF-backup.
    When I was backing up to an external source in 2020, it always defaulted to 2020 and not 2019. Just wondering why the backup now always goes back to 2020, even though I backup to the 2021 file.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓

As explained previously: The name of the backup file is the name of the Quicken file with a QDF-backup suffix with an option of a date appended to the name.  

As you can see in the image you have provided the name of the Quicken file you have open is Quicken 2020.QDF

I suggest you rename the current file.  For example, select File > Save a copy as..., specify Quicken 2021, select Save and Yes.
This discussion has been closed.