My subscription is about to expire. Should I or do I need to upgrade

I am currently running Quicken 2017 (according to splash screen) Release 20.6 Build 26.1.20.6.
If and when I renew my subscription should I download and install 2020/21 or stay with 2017.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You CAN stay with 2017, for as long as your operating system supports it, BUT:
    You'll lose all ability to download program updates (they aren't produced any more)  This includes bug fixes
    You still won't have the ability to download Quotes or any transactions from your banks, cards, investments, etc.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have already lost the ability to download online banking information, so if you are happy using Quicken in a manual mode, stick with 2017.
    If you want to download and import transactions from your financial institution, upgrade to subscription Quicken.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jackw
    jackw Member
    So basically I would be paying for nothing if I renew my subscription for a product that is no longer in support.
    If I want support I need to buy a new product for the same price as the subscription and the subscription would be included with the product.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't renew Q2017.  That product is no longer available for sale from Q.
    You can pay to upgrade to a current (subscription) product, or you can pay nothing and remain on Q2017.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are not buying software, you can't afford it, it would cost you MILLIONS of dollars and you could hire a programmer to make your own changes and enhancements.
    You are buying a license to use the software with online banking features for a specified length of time, after which with Deluxe and higher you will be able to use in a manual method with a nag banner that chews up a portion of the screen.
    Starter Edition goes into READ-ONLY mode if the subscription expires.
    As stated earlier, if you are happy to use Quicken in a manual mode, stay with 2017.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is anyone else wondering why a Q2017 user would even be getting an expiration warning?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:
    Is anyone else wondering why a Q2017 user would even be getting an expiration warning?

Yes, I am.

@jackw where did you see the notice that your subscription is expiring?

If it is an email, by any chance did you buy/return a newer version of Quicken?
    It might be that the notice has nothing to do with what you are currently running.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they are Canadian, subscription started in 2017 for them and since they installed it originally in 2017, they think of it as 2017.

• jackw
    jackw Member
    I received an e-mail from Quicken a year ago saying that they were converting my account to subscription, probably because I was using the bill pay system in place at the time. Because I didn't like the new system as detailed at the time I didn't bother using it.
    Then about a month ago I started receiving emails saying my subscription was about to expire and I needed to renew. I have not upgraded or installed a new release since 2017 first came out.
    I am in the US so one of the comments was not valid.
    I have been using Intuit bill pay, quicken, etc. under one name or another for about 30 years.
    I want to run supported software, even if I don't use most of the bells and whistles.
  • jackw
    jackw Member
    Found my problem/solution. I had never downloaded the 2020 upgrade I was offered. Just did and installed. Now at a current release and renewed.
    Thanks for the answers.
This discussion has been closed.