FRUSTRATION with Date filters

oldngrmpy1
oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
Why oh why isn't there a way to pick a specific register time period (filter) by choosing Custom, set the date filter, and just have had that date kept as your personal default?

I'm so tired of having to go in and type a specific date over and over every time I open quicken! I generally use the date 1-1-2016 to present for the transactions I need or use. Why can't I just set a custom date, and have quicken use that date until I change it to another date on the drop-down list or enter a new date period?

The same goes for doing reports. It seems ludicrous to me that you can't set a specific range for transactions and let quicken use that period as your personal default. As it is now I have to go through that stupid process of changing the start date filter to 1/01/2016 every time I open Quicken...and why!

I have transactions starting on 1/01/2004 and would prefer to not wade through an extra 12 years of transactions! I cannot believe that any quicken user needs all their transactions loaded from their transaction start date to present every time they open quicken.

At least give us the opportunity, under preferences, to select a start date for viewing our transactions that we actually might need to work with, instead of all transactions from the beginning of time. I seriously doubt that very few will need to go back to opening date transactions every time they open quicken.

This dove-tails wonderfully and also begs the question about archiving transactions back to a specific date without closing those transactions to changes, etc. Both of these ideas need to be entertained by the developers who look for new ideas. Yes Yes I know...put it to a vote, well I did with no takers.

I still DO NOT believe that everyone sets a new custom date every time they open quicken. If nothing else add another selection in the filter drop-down list that includes "Last 5 years". This is only one thing that I beg for a fix for. I buy the deluxe version, I use it strictly as a checkbook registers with reports. I don't use Investments. Mobile, or Bill Pay, so I don't bog down those resources with questions, or problems.

I pay these same for my Deluxe without adding overhead to quicken, but I'd like to think that my $50 I pay for quicken gives me the opportunity to get some of the little that would make quicken a little more user friendly for me. Again I cannot believe others would not find this option as a very friendly, time-saving user tool. If not what am I missing, maybe I was raised in a cave, but I do not understand the logic that this idea would not be a useful tool to many every day!

[Edited-Readability]

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I don't know if this was recent change but I do think there is something a bit off in the register date filter for Custom... compared to the report date filter for Custom Dates... in the current product.

The report date filter appears to use the current date range setting to initialize the Custom Date window.  The register date filter appears to use today's date to initialize the Custom Date window unless the current date filter is a Custom Date.

I think the register date filter should be changed to behave like the report date filter when initializing the Custom Date window.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are talking about register date filters, is this setting enabled?
    As to reports, have you tried working with this setting?

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    I was going to chime in with the same response as @UKR, but I decided to look at these two options to double-check they did the right thing. They get most of the way to the desired result, but maybe not all the way.
    For the register filter, choosing Custom date allows entry of two exact dates, and that's all. The problem with that is the ending date. You really want it to be "latest", but that's not an option. Setting it to some date in the future is your only choice. But I think this does satisfy @TJ102's requirement.

For the reports, "Custom to date" does provide the desired result.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you set a custom date, then go and change that filter to say this year, then go back to custom date, the custom date is gone, as it  always reverts back to current date. I'd like the custom date to be a new temporary default date until I change it (the date numbers themselves). They reset themselves bak automatically to current date.
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Set a custom date in the register, then go back and change the filter to another in the drop down list, then go back to custom date and you'll see that the custom date you set previously is gone, and you then have to reinstall the custom date. How about a way to keep the custom date, if you change the date filter ten go back to custom again? Maybe this post is clearer in my explanation as I don't think superusers have tried what I'm talking about.
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR and Rocket Squirrel, it's apparent to me that neither of you have tried what I explained in my post, So do this Go to your register, Select the date filter and make a custom date filter starting 1/01/2016 thru current date. Observe the register and you'll see all your transactions for your custom date selection. Okay now from that same screen go back and make a different selection from the download date filter list, any of them will work. Look at your register and you'll see that your register is showing the transactions for your selection. So now, from that very screen, go back to the date filter box again and select Custom again. From here you'll note that the date you put in originally 1/01/2016 thru current, is gone so you are required to put in that date again...and why if you filled a custom date once already, why are you required to do it again? That's my complaint. Why doesn't Quicken keep that date you put in the custom box until you change it to something else in that custom box. So simple! Let people put in a date in the Custom box to use for all trsansactions until you change the date in the custom box for another you may want, OR allow us to go to preferences, select a default custom date to use from there. Why does quicken get  rid of the date you want to use...just keep that date range in the custom box. Your recommendation has nothing to do with what I just explained! Rocket Squirrel you told me that between you and UKR I should be able to come up with something, but in all honesty I haven't a clue what you meant by that statement!
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    (a) Your post is a jumble without line breaks.
    (b) You are the only person raising this issue as far as I can tell from the jumble.
    How much time do you expect us, your fellow users, to spend on this for you?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how many times and how to write this so you can understand the issue I'm having, 3 times now and I still don't think you understand. To answer your question, I think you should spend as much time as necessary to understand and help any Quicken user, or CUSTOMER. Maybe even give them the chance to bring up ways to improve the product. Tread lightly though as you don't know me to understand what I may be dealing with personally on my end. I'm sorry I created such a big problem, I'm just trying to understand some of the logic in Quicken! An answer of "yes we see your problem but don't have an answer for you" would suffice. I'm not sure sending one of the prearranged answers is the best way. As in this issue, as all impressive pretty illustrations were not pertinent to my issue.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @TJ102

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue and suggestions, although I apologize for any frustration that you've experienced so far.

If you have not done so already, can you please navigate to Edit > Preferences > Register?

Then look for an option to "Remember Register Filters After Quicken Closes."

This setting should save the last date range selected when customizing. However, the last date range selected is what will be recalled upon closing. 

Can you please confirm if you have this setting selected? 

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    TJ102 said:
    ... To answer your question, I think you should spend as much time as necessary to understand and help any Quicken user, or CUSTOMER. ...
    Maybe we need a review of Who's who.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849427/whos-who-on-the-community#latest

@Rocket J Squirrel, myself and almost everyone else posting here are volunteering our time and knowledge.  Only those moderators such as @Quicken_Tyka are being paid in any fashion.  If you really think any of us "should" spend time to understand and fix your issues to your satisfaction, you are mistaken. 
     Maybe even give them the chance to bring up ways to improve the product. 
    You have that chance.  Post an Idea in the Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows area.  

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I don't know if this was recent change but I do think there is something a bit off in the register date filter for Custom... compared to the report date filter for Custom Dates... in the current product.

The report date filter appears to use the current date range setting to initialize the Custom Date window.  The register date filter appears to use today's date to initialize the Custom Date window unless the current date filter is a Custom Date.

I think the register date filter should be changed to behave like the report date filter when initializing the Custom Date window.
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Sherlock, I just appreciate the acknowledgment more than anything...
This discussion has been closed.