Downloaded transactions do not get marked as cleared when accepted

Bobo Labop
Bobo Labop Member ✭✭
I have a US Bank credit card account that, when I download the transactions and accept the matching transactions, those transactions do not get marked as cleared. A little history for this account might be helpful. The card for this account was lost so the bank changed the account number. After changing the account number in Quicken, One Step Update failed to download transactions. FYI - this account was setup to use Direct Connect for Online Services.
I went to the Account Details and on the Online Services tab I did Reset Account. When I did the Online Services used Express Web Connect, which is much slower than Direct Connect. With the help of Quicken Support, I changed the connection to Direct Connect by disconnecting my other US Bank accounts and then reconnect them all using Direct Connect. Now, when I download transactions for this credit card and accept them, the transactions do not get marked as cleared. My other US Bank accounts (checking and savings) work fine. I have chatted with Quicken Support twice with no resolution. One person suggested that I need to turn on "Reconcile using online balance" in Online Services. I don't believe that would resolve this issue and it is not how I want to reconcile my accounts. Another said I need to turn on "Automatically add to banking registers" in the "Download Transactions" preferences. Again, I don't think that would resolve the issue nor do I want Quicken to automatically add downloaded transactions to the registry.

Any help on resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Thank you for trying the troubleshooting instructions previously provided and providing us with an update, though I apologize for the delay in my response.

It sounds like there may be an issue with the servers in the automatic downloads that may be causing the incorrect matches since a manual download matched correctly. So, at this point, I recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support directly instead. Our support agents will need to collect and review your log files to investigate the root cause of the issue, and possibly file an escalation if they see fit.

Please, click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Hello @Bobo Labop,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and providing a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing, though I apologize for the trouble.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

If you haven't already, could you please try deactivating the account(s) experiencing this issue and then reactivating through Add Account (not through Set Up Now)? Doing so will refresh and reinitialize the Online Connected Services for the account, whereas Set Up Now will use the same previous existing connection which oftentimes is the reason why issues will continue to persist. 

Please, follow the steps found in this support article to deactivate. Once deactivated, to reactivate through Add Account, navigate to Tools > Add Account..., search for your Financial Institution name and follow the prompts to connect. Once your account(s) have been found successfully, be sure to link them to the existing account(s) you have already set up in Quicken.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• Bobo Labop
    Bobo Labop Member ✭✭
    Anja - thank you for your reply to my post.

I am running Quicken Deluxe on Windows, Version R31.20, Build 27.1.31.20.

Per your recommendation, I have deactivated the account that I am having problems with. I also deactivated my other 2 US Bank accounts so that they would all be reconnected with Direct Connect. I then did "Add Account" and linked the 3 accounts that were found to the existing accounts.

During this process new transactions were downloaded. I went to the problem account and saw 4 transactions, all date 3/9/2021, and all having a Status of "Match". Typically I would "Accept All" transactions when they all are matching, but this time I clicked on an individual downloaded transaction. When I did, Quicken highlighted (selected) a transaction dated 9/28/2017. Nothing about the selected transaction matches the downloaded transaction. The same happens when I click on any of the newly downloaded transactions, that is, a transaction near the previously selected transaction is selected. It appears to me that an index to the transactions for this account is not correct. I did try to search for transactions and that worked correctly. When I had contacted Quicken Support they had me do a "Super Validate" and it did not detect any errors.

Please Help!
  • Quicken Anja
    edited March 2021
    @Bobo Labop Thanks for the update and additional information.

If you don't mind, may I ask; When support had you Super Validate the file, did they have you do so in your current data file, or did they have you create a copy of your data file first and then perform the Super Validate in the copied?

-Quicken Anja

• Bobo Labop
    Bobo Labop Member ✭✭
    The Super Validate was done on the current data file after creating a backup of it.
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you.

In that case, then I suggest you create a copy of your data file in an attempt to rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables first. Then, try to Validate your data file in the copied file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you also Save a backup of your data file again before trying these steps (just in case).
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Copy...
    4. Leave the presets as is and click OK
    5. Wait for the copy procedure to complete
    6. Select New Copy and click OK                                                                              
    7. Once the newly copied file opens, navigate back to the File menu
    8. Select File Operations
    9. Validate and Repair...
    10. Select Validate file
    11. Click OK
    12. Close the Data Log
    13. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    14. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate again the copied file by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 9) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

If this does not resolve the issue, you can either switch back to your original file or restore the backup you saved prior to performing the above troubleshooting instructions (both the original and backup files should remain unaffected by the steps performed in the copied file).

Follow the steps below to switch back to your original file
    :
    1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• Bobo Labop
    Bobo Labop Member ✭✭
    Anja - I followed your instructions to make a copy of the data file, which took well over an hour, followed by Validate and Repair, which found no errors. I then did a One Step Update that downloaded 1 transaction that had a Status of Match. When I clicked on that download transaction Quicken again selected a the wrong transaction. I also did a Super Validate that found no errors.

I then logged in to my bank account and went to the credit card account transactions where I manually downloaded a .qfx file of the transaction from the date of my last reconciliation, 3/6, to present and imported the file into Quicken. All of the transaction have a Status of Match and when I click on the downloaded transactions Quicken selects the correct matching transaction! I have not accepted any of those transactions yet until I get further instruction from you.

So what does this show us, if anything? Does Quicken handle manually downloaded transaction differently than transactions downloaded using One Step Update?
  • Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    Thank you for trying the troubleshooting instructions previously provided and providing us with an update, though I apologize for the delay in my response.

It sounds like there may be an issue with the servers in the automatic downloads that may be causing the incorrect matches since a manual download matched correctly. So, at this point, I recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support directly instead. Our support agents will need to collect and review your log files to investigate the root cause of the issue, and possibly file an escalation if they see fit.

Please, click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

-Quicken Anja

• Bobo Labop
    Bobo Labop Member ✭✭
    Thanks again for your help Anja.

I used One Step Update to download transactions yesterday. There was only one transaction downloaded for the account that has been having the issue. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it matched correctly to my previously manually entered transaction. I have no idea what might have changed to make it start working correctly. At tis time I am going to wait and see how future downloaded transactions match up. I will report with the results.
  • Quicken Anja
    @Bobo Labop Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear that so far it seems to be working correctly. :)

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.