how do I reset the default filename for backup? [Edited]

Options
I have tried to reset my default location for the backup file, to no avail. I change the location for the file, it backs up, then returns to the old backup location again. I am getting very frustrated.

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Did you change your location by going to Edit > Preferences > Backup and then clicking the hyperlinked "Change" backup directory as seen here?

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• steveh_40
    steveh_40 Member
    Options
    thanks. I guess I did not explain my problem. it is not the location, but the file name that I cannot change.
  • steveh_40
    steveh_40 Member
    Options
    ie. the location is D: 2020 backup. I am trying to change to D: 2021 backup
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Options
    steveh_40 said:
    thanks. I guess I did not explain my problem. it is not the location, but the file name that I cannot change.
    The start of the file name is whatever the name of your data file is.  If it is this part of the name you are talking about then you need to rename the file in Windows Explorer and double click on it to open it in Quicken (so that Quicken knows where it is).

If it is the rest of the name and isn't 2021 then check your system date or that you are in fact looking at the most recent backup, because it is based on the current date and time.  For the automatic backups you can't change that name/format.
    It looks like this EDIT (example is for two data files one is Offline and the other is Current):

For manual backups there is some control over the "format" in that you can add the date to it.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It sounds like 2020 is the name of your Q data file ... and the backup filename will always start with the name of the Q data file.
    If not,what IS the name of your Q data file? And is 2020 a folder, or what?  "2020 backup" isn't a legitimate name for a Q backup file ... so what's the full name (and path) of your both your Q data file and the backup?  Start with the respective drive letters, and proceed from there.
    Also, I'm changing the title of your thread to reflect your actual issue.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• steveh_40
    steveh_40 Member
    Options
    thanks for your help.
    current backup D:\2020 final backup-2016.QDF-backup
    desired backup D:\2021 backup-2016.QDF-backup
    every time I change the default location during backup, it backs up properly, but defaults right back to the 2020 final.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let's a backup a bit here.  Are you talking about manual backups or automatic?
    Signature:
  • steveh_40
    steveh_40 Member
    Options
    I assume I mean manual. when Q asks me if I want to backup and I say yes. takes me to this backup screen and the file location as mentioned.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Options
    steveh_40 said:
    thanks for your help.
    current backup D:\2020 final backup-2016.QDF-backup
    desired backup D:\2021 backup-2016.QDF-backup
    every time I change the default location during backup, it backs up properly, but defaults right back to the 2020 final.
    If you want the name of the backup file to be "2021 backup-2016", I suggest you rename the Quicken file you are opening to "2021 backup-2016": select File > Save a copy as...
  • steveh_40
    steveh_40 Member
    Options
    thanks, but that did not change the default file location
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    steveh_40 said:
    thanks, but that did not change the default file location
    Correct.  You did not provide another location.  

For a manual backup, the Quicken program always attempts to use the most recent folder listed in the QUSER.INI file maintained in the user's hidden AppData\Roaming\Quicken\config folder.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Options
    steveh_40 said:
    I assume I mean manual. when Q asks me if I want to backup and I say yes. takes me to this backup screen and the file location as mentioned.
    Well then it sounds like something is blocking the storing of the backup location because on this dialog:

You should be able to select Change and change both the location and the backup file name.  And it should be the same when you come back into Quicken later.

EDIT:
    Note you have to do at least one backup to this new location/name for it to be saved.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    steveh_40 said:
    Well then it sounds like something is blocking the storing of the backup location because on this dialog:

You should be able to select Change and change both the location and the backup file name.  And it should be the same when you come back into Quicken later.

EDIT:
    Note you have to do at least one backup to this new location/name for it to be saved.
    @Chris_QPW  Quicken does not save the backup file name.  The backup file name is always generated using the Current Data File Name.  The backup file folder path should be the most recent backup file folder used.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks @Sherlock I got that part wrong.
    Signature:
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Sherlock,@Chris_QPW. This is a post that your answer refers to using "Save As". do you guys clean these types if your answers don't apply anymore?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @TTSguy I'm not a SuperUser so I can't edit my comments past the first 24 hours.
    But in general I don't think there is any policy or effort to try to find all the past comments and fix them because Quicken has made a change.  It would just be way too much work.
    Signature:
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes I know. It's a pet peeve of mine. Same 'ol on WWW, so much old useless, outdate info anymore that sometimes it takes magic to find an answer to a question. I personally think everything should be perged every 3 years and let authors recreate to current standards. Just a thought. I also almost made a HUGE mistake when applying for my SSA because of old info that I found that was no longer pertinent. Between fake news and outdated news, it's hard to be sure you can listen to anything without questioning it's reliability!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TTSguy said:
    Yes I know. It's a pet peeve of mine. Same 'ol on WWW, so much old useless, outdate info anymore that sometimes it takes magic to find an answer to a question. I personally think everything should be perged every 3 years and let authors recreate to current standards. Just a thought. I also almost made a HUGE mistake when applying for my SSA because of old info that I found that was no longer pertinent. Between fake news and outdated news, it's hard to be sure you can listen to anything without questioning it's reliability!
    Whereas they don't fix old answers they do archive them every once in a while.  Once archived the regular users can't get to them.  In fact though this causes more problems than it solves.  First off for the most part Quicken Inc doesn't change old functionality that much and as such the old information is still good and some of the SuperUsers have links to them for answer questions so that they don't have to repeat everything all the time.  And as for recreating them.  I just wiped out all of your answers, would you be willing to put them back?  I wouldn't.  And frankly with how poor the search is on here I'm always amazed that other find anything searching.  At least 50% when I search on here for something I knows is there, I come up empty handed.
    Signature:
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We should not go change or update prior old answers.  They might still apply to older Quicken versions.  Like I'm still using QW2013.  It should probably be common knowledge (but it's not) that any posts on the internet for anything is only current at the time it was posted and may not still apply.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    volvogirl said:
    We should not go change or update prior old answers.  They might still apply to older Quicken versions.  Like I'm still using QW2013.  It should probably be common knowledge (but it's not) that any posts on the internet for anything is only current at the time it was posted and may not still apply.  
    Very good point!

This support site is for ALL Quicken users, not just the ones using Quicken Subscription.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.