Best way to share Quicken with a desktop and a laptop

Truman100
Truman100 Member ✭✭
What is the best way to share the quicken file on my desktop with my laptop. I have tried MS OneDrive and I end up with a mess> I have tried networking only to have another mess. I prefer a method which I can use without being on the same network, as that gives me flexibility of location. As I get older things become less clear.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about, simply, taking a backup on one and restoring to the other?  Just be sure to change NOTHING on the "from" PC while the "TO" PC has the data ... as the restore process replaces the ENTIRE FILE ... it's not an incremental backup.
    OR, you could use REMOTE VIEWING software on the Laptop to "look into" the desktop machine.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    How about, simply, taking a backup on one and restoring to the other? 
    Unfortunately this advise is now going to cause problems.
    For whatever reason whenever you restore a data file they are now creating a new "cloud data set" on the server.  There is a limited amount of these data sets allowed.
    So sooner or later the user will start getting the "Too many data sets" error message if they regularly restore a data file.  And the only recourse is to contact Quicken support to remove the cloud data set.

So the "new recommendation" has to be to copy the data file to whatever is going to be used to "transport" it to the other machine.

You can use File -> Save a copy as..." or just use Windows File Explorer.

The "transport" can be OneDrive, but you have to make sure that you don't open that data file from OneDrive in Quicken.  So when you get to the other machine you need to use something like Windows File Explorer to copy it to another folder on the machine and then double click on that copy to open it in Quicken.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update, gratefully, noted.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    We use a remote desktop client to access the Windows desktop where we maintain Quicken.  There are a variety of free implementations available.  If you're Windows and network savvy, I recommend Microsoft's Remote Desktop.  If you want simplicity, I recommend TeamViewer.
  • Truman100
    Truman100 Member ✭✭
    Yes, I will try it
This discussion has been closed.