Quicken Mac 6.1.1 hangs generating reports

MSO
MSO Member ✭✭
Hi
I have version 6.1.1 of Quicken Premier running macOS 11.2.3 with the M1 chip.

I have 9221 transactions in USD and another 1075 in CAD.

The last few days I have been trying to run reports using all 9221 USD transactions.

I can Create a new report and the results come up after only a short time with the rainbow spinner.

I can do some filtering with basically no lag time: one Category or one Tag, etc.

If I change the Structure of the report, for example change By Payee to By Category I might as well go to the store. After about 10 minutes I give up and Force Quit.

While the spinner is going I can run the Activity Monitor and see that Quicken is using 99% of the CPU. (Since Activity Monitor is using 5% I a assume Quicken is swapping out some activity to cache.) If I update the Activity Monitor the CPU time is incrementing, so something is happening. But huge time goes by. "mother used to say "when they gave out patience you refused to wait in line."

If I attempt to open that report after re-opening quicken, quitting normally, and re-opening again, the report hangs again.

If I create a new report with the different summary, in this example By Category, the report will open after only a few seconds.

Any suggestions about how to get the reporting to work? It is frustrating and I always hate to Force Quit any app, but especially my financial app.

Thanks
Bob
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello MSO,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

Do you have a recent backup you can restore? To start with, I suggest restoring a backup file to see if the same issue occurs in the restored file. If needed, please, review this support article for instructions. Scroll down until you see Quicken for Mac and open the blue dropdown section(s) titled Restore Quicken data and/or Restore an automatic backup for instructions on how to restore a backup.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    MSO said:
    I have version 6.1.1 of Quicken Premier running macOS 11.2.3 with the M1 chip.

I have 9221 transactions in USD and another 1075 in CAD.
    Quicken 6.1.1 of Quicken Premier
    macOS 10.14.6 Mojave
    MacBook Pro 13 inch, Late 2013, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

36301 transactions, all in USD
    MSO said:
    If I change the Structure of the report, for example change By Payee to By Category I might as well go to the store. After about 10 minutes I give up and Force Quit.
    I did a few quick tests with reports of the type Transactions by xxxx and can confirm that switching the Structure (changing Row selection between Category and Payee) results in an unexpected delay before the new report appears. In my case, the delay is about 55 seconds for a Year to Date selection of just 377 transactions.

Then, starting with loading the canned Quicken Reports > Transactions by Category
    It took 7 seconds for the report to appear.
    It took 47 seconds to switch from Year to Date to All Dates.
    It took more than 15 minutes to then switch from Row: Category to Row: Payee. I Force Quit Quicken before it completed.

Next, starting with loading the canned Quicken Reports > Transactions by Payee
    It took about 8 seconds for the report to appear.
    It took about 5 minutes to switch from Year to Date to All Dates. 

At this point I am giving up. It's bed time and I have some other things to get done.

The best suggestion I have is: always start with the report organization - by category, by payee, ... -
     that you need. Do not try to reorganize by setting a new Row selection. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • MSO
    MSO Member ✭✭
    Thank you lhossus !! I really appreciate you taking the time to replicate this, especially when you had to wait 15 minutes.

This confirms that the issue is not the M1 chip. I will take your advice and make new reports from scratch if I want a new structure, instead of changing, renaming, and Saving.

Thanks again.
  • MSO
    MSO Member ✭✭
    Now if I want to get rid of these broken ones I have to open them one by one to Delete them. Sigh....
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @MSO  you actually don't need to open a report to delete it since the last redesign. Click on Reports in the top menu bar (not the actual Mac menu, the across the top of the Quicken. Click on My Reports. Single-click on any report you want to remove, and you can click the Delete icon in the menu bar, without opening the report.

It sounds like this behavior should be reported as a bug, as I'd guess the developers are unaware of it. Nice work by @lhossus to figure out how to reproduce this performance problem on demand. When I have a few minutes to spare, I'll repeat one or two of those tests and report it via Help > Report a Problem. If several people do so, hopefully someone at the Quicken end will be able to verify it and write it up as a bug to send to the developers.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MSO
    MSO Member ✭✭
    Thank you. I went through and deleted all reports that wouldn't open in 20 seconds. I had quite a few created in the last few weeks. I have been creating each new report from scratch, not duplicating the By Payee report and changing it to By Category, for example. These reports are generating immediately. So the problem is not database size, as shown also by lhossus testing with db 3.5 times larger than mine. The problem is changing format parameters.
This discussion has been closed.