What is the status of bug ticket QMAC-6709?

The drummer
The drummer Member ✭✭✭
This thing has been around for a while with no solution, which in my opinion should be straight forward (fix a chart scale). 

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited May 2021
    Hello @The drummer,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

I took the liberty of checking the status on bug ticket QMAC-6709 which currently shows that it is still open and in progress. Though we, unfortunately, do not have an ETA available. Once our Development and Product teams have a solution, it will be made available as part of a future release.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause! Thank you.
    (QMAC-3236/QMAC-6709)

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @The drummer  I'm glad Quicken Anja replied, and I was just going to add that this is pretty much the response to most known bugs and enhancement requests: it's in the system, but the moderator team which runs this site doesn't get much or any insight into when something will be released.

The development team keeps such details to themselves, because often schedules change, and things slated for one release get pushed back for any of a variety of reasons. So it's just "in the database" until one day it magically emerges in a new release. In my experience, there's no way to predict what's coming sooner or later, either. Generally, issues which are basically cosmetic/aesthetic seem to be lower priorities than adding functionality which doesn't exist — but sometimes small issues which aren't urgent get tackled; it could be they needed to change other code in the same section of the program, or the programmer who specializes in that particular area of the code had a little time between bigger projects.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • The drummer
    The drummer Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for getting back to me. Although this is somehow a cosmetic issue it is pretty annoying to use budget forecasts chart as a tool. It should be a simple solution to a problema that has been around for almost 5 years now. 

If Quicken had competition maybe we had a much better software now but that is what happens to “monopolies”. 
  • jacobs
    It should be a simple solution to a problema that has been around for almost 5 years now. 

If Quicken had competition maybe we had a much better software now but that is what happens to “monopolies”. 
    I'd say there are lots of things, some minor but seemingly easy to fix, and some major omissions, we've been living with for a long time. I'm encouraged that Quicken Mac is steadily getting better, but it's frustrating that change apparently can't happen faster.

I'm not sure that the problem is them being a "monopoly."  In fact, they aren't. There are a number of competing programs, both desktop applications and online-only applications. And for some people, banks and investment brokers offer online tools that, while not full-featured competitors to Quicken, offer enough to satisfy portions of the market. But with that competition, many people still find that Quicken better fits their needs than any of the others, even with its shortcomings.

The problem, I think, is that Quicken doesn't generate enough revenue to significantly increase the size of their development team. It's probably profitable, but it has to pay back the investment group which bought them out from Intuit. So improvements continue to be made, but demand for new features far outpaces what their tema is able to produce. When I look at Quicken Mac today compared with the first release of the modern Quicken Mac nearly 7 years ago, the program has improved very significantly. I think it will continue to improve -- just slower than we'd all wish.
  • The drummer
    The drummer Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for replying once more. I have to admit that things have been improving for the last 11 years - my relationship with Quicken dates back to "2010 Essentials”. But that doesn’t mean things could be better. I have a sense that since Quicken started charging by subscription on an annual basis, they got lazy with the software. They need to make money for their shareholders, of course, but improvements since 2018 are sparse and I have no questions that this is a cost control type of stuff as you mentioned.

On the monopoly thing, there are plenty of alternatives - I personally have tried a hand full of them. But they are nothing compared to Quicken and on top of that changing from one platform to another is painful (data translation is always messy - remember when I moved from MS Money to Quicken, the data on the Quicken file was so funky that I decided to start from scratch with Quicken.

Anyway, it is just a shame that something very good could be better and it is not because they are cost cutting development staff. I am pretty sure that Marcus is the whole “software development team” of Quicken for Mac nowadays….
  • jacobs
    Anyway, it is just a shame that something very good could be better and it is not because they are cost cutting development staff. I am pretty sure that Marcus is the whole “software development team” of Quicken for Mac nowadays….
    Haha, that's definitely not the case! After Quicken became independent of Intuit, the size of the Mac development team was doubled. That was an infusion of funds from new owner H.I.G.  Now, doubling a small team with a handful of programmers still results in a small team. But I'm not aware of any cost-cutting that has cut the development team, and it's definitely not a team of one!
This discussion has been closed.