An internal error occurred while initiating One Step Update

Options
2»

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KT_WA said:
    When I go to the preferences I don't have the option to see datasets. And I have tried a bit of importing but so far they are a pretty big mess. I'll finish all of the accounts and see where I get in the end.
    You can only see the cloud data sets if the Sync to Mobile/Web is turned on.  What you can do is create a new data file with it turned on, and then use that data file to look at the data set of the first data file.

As for importing through QIF files.  Let me state a few things.  First off one of the main things to understand is Quicken is terrible when dealing with transfers, and will certainly mess them up.  That is the reason why in my other comment I pointed to how to change the "linked transfers" to regular categories so that in fact there isn't any thing for Quicken to try to link up during the import.  This means you can't jump between the two accounts using the Go to transfer menu item, but the accounting is still correct when using two separate categories to record the transfer.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Chris_QPW @Boatnmaniac

I believe I have all my accounts transferred over with the exception of my current checking account. I'm having issues with that one. should I continue here or start a thread about transferring accounts to a new file?

and I do not have investments within Quicken, strictly banking and cash accounts.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @tcs If you don't have any investment accounts in Quicken, then I recommend that you try export a QXF file and importing that.  It should have better results than exporting the QIF file for that situation.

File -> File Export -> Quicken Transfer Format (.QXF) File...
    And in the new file I would first go into the category list and delete all the categories and then:
    File -> File Import -> Quicken Transfer Format (.QXF) File...

Signature:
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I agree with @Chris_QPW .  QFX for transferring data checking/savings/credit cards/cash accounts from one data file to another provides far superior results compared to QIF.
    If you decide to go this path, I suggest you create a new Quicken file for it instead of trying to backtrack on your 812 file.  That way if you don't like the results you will still have your 812 intact.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• KT_WA
    KT_WA Member
    Options
    I do have investment accounts but I don't care if they transfer over properly. All are retirement accounts so cost basis isn't an issue. Thoughts about using .qfx under these circumstances?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    KT_WA said:
    I do have investment accounts but I don't care if they transfer over properly. All are retirement accounts so cost basis isn't an issue. Thoughts about using .qfx under these circumstances?
    QFX does not work with investment accounts.
    What I have done in a few tests and 2 real data file exports was to first export to the test file in QIF format.  Then in the test file I deleted all of the accounts except for the investment accounts.  Once that was done I exported to the test file in QXF format. 
    The end result was very good for the cash/spending accounts that QXF supported and an OK result for the investments.  The biggest issue I had was that all of the transfer transactions in the investment accounts were broken but I was able to fix those manually.
    The other big issue I had was that a couple of loan accounts needed to be fully reconstructed.  The loan registers were there but the functionality of the loan accounts (amortization schedules, loan details, loan bill reminders, etc.) no longer existed.
    I'm no expert on exporting from one data file to another.  I've done it just a few times.  Maybe if I'd dug into the end result more I might have found some other issues that would have had to have been debugged but nothing else stared me in the face.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KT_WA said:
    Well remember that transfers to investment accounts will change to [Unspecified Accounts] in the non investment accounts, but from my test, yes it should work.
    Signature:
  • tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > @tcs If you don't have any investment accounts in Quicken, then I recommend that you try export a QXF file and importing that.  It should have better results than exporting the QIF file for that situation.
    >
    > File -> File Export -> Quicken Transfer Format (.QXF) File...
    > And in the new file I would first go into the category list and delete all the categories and then:
    > File -> File Import -> Quicken Transfer Format (.QXF) File...

I did it (.QXF) file/export this morning after I posted just to see what would happen. Seems almost all of my accounts duplicated and even though there was an account balance, there were no transactions. I did do a back up before hand, which I have just gone back to.

Seems with the original export/import of QIF files all worked with the exception of my Checking account which only gave me 6 weeks of transactions, and during the import, it stated (something to the effect of) The Account does not exist, would you like to create one? It starts importing, then says, "an account must be selected for this to import" And if I attempt to use the same account name that is in my original file, it states, This file is already in use in another file.

I will do as suggested, and delete all the categories and re-import the QXF file.
  • tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > I agree with @Chris_QPW .  QFX for transferring data.
    That way if you don't like the results you will still have your 812 intact.

So far, NOT liking the results. The account amount balances are WAY off, like -$500,000 for one account.

I'll keep pluggin along, It's been along day, will get at it in the AM.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tcs said:
    I did it (.QXF) file/export this morning after I posted just to see what would happen. Seems almost all of my accounts duplicated and even though there was an account balance, there were no transactions. I did do a back up before hand, which I have just gone back to.

A QXF export/import it for the whole file, you should be importing into a new data file, not one with any accounts in it.

On the QIF import  again this needs to be done in new data file, and it will create accounts.  For the non investment accounts it should create them pretty well as long as they aren't in a different currency.  For investment accounts or foreign currency accounts you might have to create the accounts first to get the right account types/currency.

As for the GUI that asks for an account name, it doesn't matter because the account names to create are in the QIF file and it will use them, not the one you select from the list.  Note for the Starter edition you have to have one cash account created and selected (this can be a "dummy" account name), but in the Deluxe and above editions you can just select <All accounts>.

As for the error I would have to see it, because it is pretty clear that you aren't stating the error correctly.  Data files are separate from each other Quicken wouldn't be complaining about data that is in another data file.
    Signature:
  • tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Options
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > A QXF export/import it for the whole file, you should be importing into a new data file, not one with any accounts in it.

Yes, I did this, new a file (I'm not sure what I did the first time)

> On the QIF import  again this needs to be done in new data file, and it will create accounts.  For the non investment accounts it should create them pretty well as long as they aren't in a different currency. 

No Investment accounts and no foreign currency
    >
    > As for the GUI that asks for an account name, it doesn't matter because the account names to create are in the QIF file and it will use them, not the one you select from the list.  Note for the Starter edition you have to have one cash account created and selected (this can be a "dummy" account name), but in the Deluxe and above editions you can just select <All accounts>.

>
    > As for the error I would have to see it, because it is pretty clear that you aren't stating the error correctly.  Data files are separate from each other Quicken wouldn't be complaining about data that is in another data file.

Image attached: Explanation of image -
    I was attempting to import an old GM Credit Card, it is no longer active and zero balance.
    When I did the file transfer QXF of all my accounts, the account showed the balance, but there were absolutely no transactions. So, I attempted to import the QIF of various accounts (that was actually how I was getting all the transactions.) Here I was importing the QIF of X-GM, and as the graphic shows, it stated there was already that account in another file, and would it like another created, then it stated the 14 errors, which was just "Unable to find category for Transactions"

I did delete all categories before I began.

I "finally" was able to get my checking account fully imported using the QIF, though my balances are Waaaay off. IE: one account has over 900k in it. (wouldnt that be lovely?)

BUT - I am making headway i guess... tedious, but i'm getting there. (luckily I"m retired and have time to deal with this) ;-)
  • tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @Chris_QPW @Boatnmaniac

Doing virtual cartwheels..... I finally got it working.
    gonna have a glass of wine and bob in the pool. Tomorrow I'll explain how I got the new file to work.
    No, the old/original file still was never able to to the OSU

but I'm back in business.

Terese.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    I'm looking forward to seeing your update on what you did to get everything resolved.

• tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > A QXF export/import it for the whole file, you should be importing into a new data file, not one with any accounts in it.

Very weird, I had a lengthy reply to this post, answering each point in your post, including images.... don't see it now, but I guess it's almost a moot point.

@Boatnmaniac

anyhoo -- Obviously I have been fighting this since the 12th, spending the last 3 days on trying to recreate/build a working file that will use the One Step Update. In that missing post, I talked about my issues with using the transfer file QXF, which imported all the accounts including balances but no transactions.

I recall Chris stating at one point, "always a new file" and something about needing just a "cash account" - though I believe that was for Basic (which I had, but now have Deluxe - long story)

So I said to myself... what the heck, let's try again...
    I created a new file, went to Add Account and added a Cash Account.
    Went and removed all the categories. (Nice you can "select all" and delete, instead of 1 by 1 like I did the first time)
    I imported a QIF file (exported the <All Accounts> ) I was not having any luck with the Transfer (QXF) (though I did have both files in case the QIF did not work) but I gave this a whirl and it worked.

Absolutely everything imported.

Then I had to go back and edit the bank accounts (checking, savings and CC) and enter the acct#s so I could use the OSU.

Then ran the OSU and all my latest transactions downloaded.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @tcs sometimes this forum sends posts to the moderators to approve as part of an anti-spam system.  It announces this with "toast" message in the lower right of the window, but it is easy to miss.

Your message did eventually post and is above.  Very strange on those error messages.

I'm glad that you eventually did get the QIF export/import to work.
    Signature:
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    @tcs - Thanks for providing the details of what you did to get your issue resolved.  I am a bit surprised that you were not having any success with exporting in QXF because that has always worked really well for me with Cash, Bank and Credit Card accounts with very little modifications to the accounts (mostly with register preferences).  But it's good to know that QIF worked well for you.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For what it is worth, I'm guessing that whatever was causing all the problems with One Step Update in the file (some kind of corruption), meant that it wasn't good for QXF export/import.  A sobering idea when thinking of QXF was way to "fix problems".  QIF most likely works because the very fact that it so different and has so much less data/details.  And it certainly doesn't hurt that it is in form that can be edited.
    Signature:
  • tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Chris_QPW

> @Boatnmaniac said:
    > I am a bit surprised that you were not having any success with exporting in QXF because that has always worked really well for me

I scrolled back and found I never posted this screen shot. This is what an account looked like when i used the transfer file QXF.

In the account list, I had all the balances, but the pages / account had no transactions.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    Yes, it does appear that the original file may have had some sort of corruption that may have prevented QXF from working properly.  And, yes, it sure is a good thing to have that QIF export option.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BTW for the record.  Say one has a data file with a given account in it, and then imports a QXF with that same account in it, it will push that information into another account with 2 at the name of the account name.  And that is why I thought that you might have imported into an old data file.
    Signature:
  • tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > BTW for the record.
    And that is why I thought that you might have imported into an old data file.

No worries, I certainly don't do this for a living. Just a house wife muddling thru....
    ;-)
    Terese

PS, I totally appreciate the help I got from you two. I could not have gotten to where I am without your assistance.
  • KT_WA
    KT_WA Member
    Options
    okay so I had to do it twice to get it right. I was able to use the QFX and it did work better than the QIF. All sorts of drama when reconnecting/downloading from the bank - unfixable the first time so threw in the towel and started over. Imported QFX and then updated all accounts with banks first thing which minimized the issues. Yay for being able to delete big swaths of downloaded transactions and not having to accept them and then delete. I'm sure my investment accounts are random but that is for another day. Not an easy process and I still need to verify my tax reports etc and make sure those all look good for the YTD but I'm pleased to have it and not be forced to start fresh. Thanks for all the help everyone!
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    You are welcome @KT_WA .  I'm glad that it worked for you.

• tcs
    tcs Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @KT_WA said:
    > okay so I had to do it twice to get it right.

KT - so glad to hear you got yours working too.
    Didn't mean to totally high-jack your post. We both solved it in different ways, but solved none the less.
    Terese
This discussion has been closed.