buying again instead of renewing?

Why can't I just buy a new copy of Quicken and register with different login credentials and use the same data file I was using before?

What am I missing here?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    You may.  If the subscription of the Quicken ID associated with the Quicken file has expired, you will need to reset the Quicken ID to one with an active subscription to be able to subsequently update the Quicken file.  If you were using a Starter subscription, you must reset the Quicken ID associated with the file with an active subscription before the original subscription expires.

When we purchase Quicken from a retailer, its simpler and cheaper to extend an existing subscription instead of creating a new Quicken ID.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    camner said: Why can't I just buy a new copy of Quicken and register with different login credentials
    If you buy a new copy of Quicken from a retailer - all you need is the Activation Key - which is included from the retail box or the email sent from the retailer.... then you just enter that Activation Key into your current running Quicken to extend your current subscription.  There are some nits - but that is basically all you need to do.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only reason I can see to do as you ask is if you find a deal for a "new user" retail Quicken offer that is just too good to pass.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jack
    Jack Member ✭✭
    So if you buy the discounted version for new users, you can use that Activation Key to extend your existing subscription?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    YES
    oops.... skipped over the NEW USER text - NO - that is the exception - any other retail pkg is fine.
    only within the last couple of months of the expiring subscription....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• camner
    camner Member ✭✭
    I'm not sure that using a new user version yields an Activation Key that can be used to extend an existing subscription. From what I've read, one must register a new user version with a different email address than one associated with an existing subscription.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    camner said:
    I'm not sure that using a new user version yields an Activation Key that can be used to extend an existing subscription. From what I've read, one must register a new user version with a different email address than one associated with an existing subscription.
    An activation code is only provided when we purchase Quicken from a retailer and may be used to extend an existing subscription - including Starter.  A new subscriber only activation code may not be used to extend an existing subscription.

The new user discount that may be available at Quicken.com does not provide an activation code and may not be used to extend the subscription associated with an existing Quicken ID.

If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-manage-my-quicken-subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    camner said:
    You are correct you can't use the activation key from a new user version on an existing Quicken ID/email address.  At least not one that hasn't been expired for more than 30 days (that is when it is considered a "new user").

Your basic assumption from your question is correct.  Note that the change in Quicken ID does imply connecting to a different Quicken cloud data set.  So that would be like resetting the current one uploading a limited, possibly smaller, set of data.

This is all about what is actually cheaper and/or more convenient.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jack
    Jack Member ✭✭
    What if you're changing versions? My wife closed her business so I will be downgrading from Home & Business to Premier?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Jack said:
    What if you're changing versions? My wife closed her business so I will be downgrading from Home & Business to Premier?
    It works the same way.  There is in fact only one program, the "edition" like Deluxe, ... is controlled by what your subscription has that is tied to the Quicken Id you are using.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jack said: ... so I will be downgrading from Home & Business to Premier?
    BTW - I've found the Deluxe provides all I need for tracking all my investments and projected tax items...
    Again, for me, the Premiere version only adds some bells and whistles in the reporting and viewing area, all the data captured and handled is the same.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    camner said:
    Hi @camner ,

To avoid problems, this is the order to proceed to avoid problems:

1. Buy your new version of Quicken Premier from other than Quicken, because it comes without an Activation Key, since it is activated at the time of purchase from Quicken. From a Retailer other than Quicken, you receive an Activation Key.
    2. Go to https://www.quicken.com/  and create a new Quicken User ID for your Wife. It requires a new Email Address, which is a new Quicken User ID. You may use the same Password. Test the Login by logging out and back in.
    3. Open your Wife's Quicken Copy. At the top, click Preferences. Now click on Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts. In the Right Window, click Sign in  as a different user. Next window, type Yes and click Sign Out.
    4. Enter your Wife's Quicken User ID and Password. You will see Success.
    5. New Window pops up. Enter your Wife's Password in the new Window. You may need to do this twice.
    6. You get this Window.
    7. Click on Help, then click Enter Activation Quicken.
    8. Click Begin Activation.
    9. Type in the Activation Code that you have for Quicken Premier. No need to reinstall Quicken.
    10. Follow on screen instructions after entering the Activation Code.
    11. That's it.
    12. But do not Enter the Activation Code, when sign into your existing Quicken User ID. The Activation Code, can only be used one time.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Jack
    Jack Member ✭✭
    So using another of my email addresses won't work, it has to be my wife?
  • Jack
    Jack Member ✭✭
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > BTW - I've found the Deluxe provides all I need for tracking all my investments and projected tax items...
    > Again, for me, the Premiere version only adds some bells and whistles in the reporting and viewing area, all the data captured and handled is the same.

I actually found a new Premier on eBay for less than less than what the Deluxe version was listed for.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jack said:
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > BTW - I've found the Deluxe provides all I need for tracking all my investments and projected tax items...
    > Again, for me, the Premiere version only adds some bells and whistles in the reporting and viewing area, all the data captured and handled is the same.

I actually found a new Premier on eBay for less than less than what the Deluxe version was listed for.
    Have you tried the Activation Code yet?  You have to be careful with eBay purchases since they might not be as as honest as they seem.  With the subscription, it isn't like the old days of being able to pass around an installation disk to all your friends and it work for everyone.  The Activation Code is good for authenticating a single Quicken Id to use a particular edition of Quicken.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jack
    Jack Member ✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > Have you tried the Activation Code yet?  You have to be careful with eBay purchases since they might not be as as honest as they seem.  With the subscription, it isn't like the old days of being able to pass around an installation disk to all your friends and it work for everyone.  The Activation Code is good for authenticating a single Quicken Id to use a particular edition of Quicken.

No, but has 26K feedbacks 99.7% positive and offers free returns so I feel safe.