New "update" version will NOT open my Quicken File!

DHClem
DHClem Member ✭✭✭
I can start to open it, enter my password to the file, then it *always* presents a menu and nothing I do allows it to choose and thus to open my quicken file. HELP

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    "Always presents a menu"? What kind of menu? Can you capture a screen shot?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • DHClem
    DHClem Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, sorry, I should have.; THIS is the "menu" that comes up twice, uselessly, every time.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @DHClem,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize for the trouble you are experiencing.

To select your existing data file from the menu displayed in your screenshot, please click the grey button on the bottom that says "Open Quicken File". From there, it should open a Finder window that will allow you to choose and open your normal data file.

Alternatively, you can also try navigating to File > Open Recent in the top menu bar and see if you are able to open your data file from there.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• DHClem
    DHClem Member ✭✭✭
    It seems I am just not making myself clear. As I tried to say above, I know that you just click on the gray button that says open Quicken file. When you d,o I have to put in my password for that file. But I *already* put in the password for the file because that file opens from the beginning.

Let me take your second example -- if I do file open recent. Once again I have to put in the password for that file. That's not the problem; the problem is then the same darn menu comes up and I have to put in the password again after I click on open Quicken file. Does that make sense? The whole thing is simply redundant and unnecessary.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I'm a little confused still. You're saying that Quicken your existing file "opens from the beginning". You see it say "Opening 'filename' " and ask you to "Enter Quicken File Password for 'filename' ", right?  And then when you enter your password, are you saying that it closes your file and goes to the "Let's Get Started" page? That page is only visible when there's no data file open.

Here's a few tests I'd suggest to try to get to the bottom of this…

• First, could you clarify if you normally launch Quicken via the application icon in your Dock? And are you sure it's the application icon (red Q with rounded corners), not an icon for a data file (red Q in a square icon with a corner turned down).

• Try launching Quicken without opening a file. Do this by holding down the Shift key when you select the Quicken icon in your Dock. You should see a dialog box which asks "Do you want to open 'filename'?" Is the name of the file it's suggesting to open — which is normally the last Quicken file opened — the correct file you're trying to open?

• Now try clicking Open in that dialog box. Does it ask for your password, and then go to the "Let's Get Started" page?

• Launch Quicken again with the Shift key held down. In the dialog box, this time click Cancel. That will take you to the "Let's Get Started" page. If you select your data file here and open it, does it prompt for your password just once? If you now quit an relaunch Quicken normally, does it prompt for the password twice?

• Open your data file and remove the password (File > Set File Password). Quit Quicken, and relaunch. Does it open normally, with no further action? If so, now re-set the password, quit Quicken, and relaunch. Does it prompt for the password once or twice?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.