Is the New Mac Version cross-platform? [edited]

Options
bobschecter
bobschecter Member ✭✭
edited July 2021 in Before you Buy
I hate having to similulate a PC on my Mac Laptop just so I can use Quicken.
Is it now, or ever going to be cross platform?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @bobschecter  It seems unlikely that this is in the cards anywhere in the foreseeable future. Quicken Mac and Quicken windows are more like close cousins than twins. Each uses features of the host operating system which would be difficult to forgo to achieve a common file format. As we've seen with the re-creation of Quicken Mac over the past decade, re-writing Quicken code with all its features is a huge project. I don't think they'll toss much of the development work they've done of Quicken Mac to make it able to use the Windows file format. And I don't know if they'd risk a major upheaval of ripping the current database out of Quicken Windows to under to use the newer SQL database used by Quicken Mac.

This choice was clearly one of the things the engineers at Intuit must have considered -- and rejected -- back around 2006 and 2007 when they decided to end work on the legacy Quicken Mac and start over creating a modern version of Quicken Mac.

Things with software are ever-changing and ever-evolving, so no one will say never, but that's why it seems unlikely in a time frame any of us can see.

Also, keep in mind that Quicken has spend the past several years developing its Simplify product, which is entirely cloud- and web-based and is therefore cross-platform. That's probably the direction of the long-term future of Quicken, although they say they remain fully committed to the legacy desktop products for the foreseeable future.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @bobschecter,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

Currently, there are no known plans for implementing this, however, I would like to refer you to this active Idea post regarding this topic instead.

If you would like to see this feature be added in the future, you can go ahead and add your vote by clicking the up arrow underneath the vote count (see example below) as well as add a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you.

Our Development and Product teams frequently use our idea posts in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers. 

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @bobschecter  It seems unlikely that this is in the cards anywhere in the foreseeable future. Quicken Mac and Quicken windows are more like close cousins than twins. Each uses features of the host operating system which would be difficult to forgo to achieve a common file format. As we've seen with the re-creation of Quicken Mac over the past decade, re-writing Quicken code with all its features is a huge project. I don't think they'll toss much of the development work they've done of Quicken Mac to make it able to use the Windows file format. And I don't know if they'd risk a major upheaval of ripping the current database out of Quicken Windows to under to use the newer SQL database used by Quicken Mac.

This choice was clearly one of the things the engineers at Intuit must have considered -- and rejected -- back around 2006 and 2007 when they decided to end work on the legacy Quicken Mac and start over creating a modern version of Quicken Mac.

Things with software are ever-changing and ever-evolving, so no one will say never, but that's why it seems unlikely in a time frame any of us can see.

Also, keep in mind that Quicken has spend the past several years developing its Simplify product, which is entirely cloud- and web-based and is therefore cross-platform. That's probably the direction of the long-term future of Quicken, although they say they remain fully committed to the legacy desktop products for the foreseeable future.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • bobschecter
    bobschecter Member ✭✭
    Options
    Not what I was hoping to hear, but thanks for the response Jacob.
    Stay Safe!
This discussion has been closed.