Quicken for Mac v6.3 Released

Options
13»

Comments

• Shing
    Shing Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Tagging @Quicken Marcus to make sure he sees this thread about the update notice. Unfortunately I manually updated so can't add my personal experience. 
  • michaelweinberg
    michaelweinberg Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I, too, have not received an update notice.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lhossus said:
    I am still running Quicken for Mac v6.2.2 - and waiting for the update notification that there is a newer version available. This would seem to indicate that v6.3 is still in limited release.

And Yes, I know that I could force the update. But somebody has got to test the default behavior. ;)
    Yup, we're still in limited release for 6.3.1.  We're working on 6.3.2 and will most likely ship it this week and can then open it up to everyone. We're working on fixes in the new investment dashboard so that it matches the accounts selected in Portfolio View and Transaction View and we're also working through an issue in auto-reconcile to improve how it works when there is transaction auto-matching in an account. This last one has taken a bit of time to fix but we think we've resolved it and will be testing it over the next couple of days. Since these are new features, we wanted to finish these last couple of issues before we upgraded everyone. 
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yup, we're still in limited release for 6.3.1.  ... We're working on fixes ..
    Sounds good!

Thanks for the detailed reply. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • Quicken Marcus
    Options
    Good news, I just released 6.3.2 today. If all looks good I'll open it up to everyone in the next couple of days.
  • Gilles9
    Gilles9 Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Good fix for the dashboard, but still showing the wrong currency when changing portfolio and closing Quicken and re-opening
    to explain: if I look at my US accounts portfolio, they show US$xxx for each account, if I quit quicken and relaunch, and look at my Canadian dollar accounts portfolio it shows US$xxx even if it is all CAD accounts

the reverse is also true, if I quit while seeing the CAD accounts portfolio and relaunch, the USD account portfolio will not show US$xxx, 

this is a long time bug
  • Bill
    Bill Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Notes say, "Restored the previous colors used in our Calendar View," but I'm pretty sure the previous colors showed green for positive and red for negative. This release shows no red.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Options
    Bill said:
    Notes say, "Restored the previous colors used in our Calendar View," but I'm pretty sure the previous colors showed green for positive and red for negative. This release shows no red.
    We looked into that because people described the issue as positive and negative numbers not showing up correctly in Calendar view but we didn't change any of that code so it's working as it has always worked. The colors actually represent the type of transaction it is. Green represents banking, blue represents investment, and red represents loan transactions.  The only change we made was that we changed the green banking transaction to gray so it wouldn't imply a positive number. We changed it back so people wouldn't think there was an issue when there wasn't one. 

However, with so many people thinking Calendar view worked in a different way than it actually works, it's a good question as to whether it's meeting people's needs.  We'll consider this in the future.
  • lhossus
    Options
    Bill said:
    As @Quicken Marcus explained in the next post, the color indicates type of transaction, not a negative transaction.

However ...
    We looked into that because people described the issue as positive and negative numbers not showing up correctly in Calendar view but we didn't change any of that code so it's working as it has always worked. The colors actually represent the type of transaction it is. Green represents banking, blue represents investment, and red represents loan transactions.  The only change we made was that we changed the green banking transaction to gray so it wouldn't imply a positive number. We changed it back so people wouldn't think there was an issue when there wasn't one. 
    There IS a misbehavior in v6.3.2. Property transactions - of which loans are an example - are supposed to be red, but I observe that only Withdrawals (negative valued transactions) from a Property account are red. Deposits are green.

In Quicken v6.2.2, both deposits and withdrawals were red - which is the intended behavior as described by Marcus.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited August 2021
    Options
    lhossus said:
    Bill said:
    As @Quicken Marcus explained in the next post, the color indicates type of transaction, not a negative transaction.

However ...
    There IS a misbehavior in v6.3.2. Property transactions - of which loans are an example - are supposed to be red, but I observe that only Withdrawals (negative valued transactions) from a Property account are red. Deposits are green.

In Quicken v6.2.2, both deposits and withdrawals were red - which is the intended behavior as described by Marcus.
    I just did a little bit of testing and I think what you might be seeing is that future-dated scheduled transactions will appear in green since they are from your checking account but the actual loan payment appears in red. I tested this in both 6.3.x and 2017 and it works the same. Can you double-check to make sure that the green loan items are not scheduled transaction instances?
  • Mikey2021
    Mikey2021 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @"Quicken Marcus" said:
    > I also thought this might be a bug but found out that we basically don't currently allow you to change a Mixed-Asset class.  This is not really well implemented and we need to do a better job here but basically, we are actually saving the mixed-asset class down to its individual components which is coming from our quote provider.  For example, I was just looking at Vanguard S&P500 Growth ETF (VOOG) and the asset mix is actually 91% Large Cap, 8% Small-Cap and 1% International.  How do I know that? Well, I had to use Quicken Windows to find that out because Quicken Mac doesn't display it. Quicken Mac should. However, Quicken Mac is storing and using those percentages when it displays the asset mix charts on the dashboard even if we never show you the asset class percentages for a mixed-asset class. If you change other asset classes, Quicken Mac will remember the change you made but we treat the mixed-asset class special.  In any case, I agree it looks like a bug and we should at least tell you that it won't be saved instead of just not doing it.

I understand what you are saying, but I think there are also some true bugs here. For instance the ticker VMFXX (Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund) is showing as an Asset Mixture, when it definitively is not. There is some sort of mis-mapping that has taken place, and there is no way to do a manual override (at least that I've found).

Also, on the dashboard, the columns in the "Holdings" box are sortable, but they are not sortable in the "Top Movers" box. Not a big deal, but should be easy to fix.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Mikey2021 said:
    I think there are also some true bugs here. For instance the ticker VMFXX (Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund) is showing as an Asset Mixture, when it definitively is not. There is some sort of mis-mapping that has taken place, and there is no way to do a manual override (at least that I've found).
    @Mikey2021 Until they create a user interface for us to see the breakdown of assets, there's no way to know for sure -- but I'd guess that it's actually working correctly. Here's why...

For the fund you mentioned, while you or I would classify this as "money market", the drill-down on Quicken.com shows it's actually a mix of cash and domestic bonds:

I suppose that's because "cash" is an asset class, but "money market" probably isn't a true asset class. Or perhaps it would be better to say that if Quicken allowed us to define our own asset classes and assign our holdings to them, then it could never perform the more refined asset classification analysis that they have it doing above. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Mikey2021
    Mikey2021 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Good point - I hadn't tried to drill down within the fund. There is still something wrong though. In the "Allocation by Security" box on the dashboard, VMFXX is showing as 15% of my portfolio. Meanwhile, on the "Allocation by Asset Class" box right next to it, cash doesn't show up at all, but "Asset Mixture" shows up at about 11.3% of the portfolio, which is roughly equivalent to the 74% cash allocation within VMFXX shown above. And in any event, I'd prefer to see any money market as listed as "Cash" to begin with.
  • lhossus
    Options
    Quicken Marcus said
    lhossus said:

I just did a little bit of testing and I think what you might be seeing is that future-dated scheduled transactions will appear in green since they are from your checking account but the actual loan payment appears in red. I tested this in both 6.3.x and 2017 and it works the same. Can you double-check to make sure that the green loan items are not scheduled transaction instances?

No, there are no scheduled transactions involved in my findings. I found my examples in historical data that was several months old.

I have reproduced the problem by initializing a new test data file, then creating two accounts therein, one of type “Asset” and one of type “Liability”. Two transactions were entered into each account, as shown in this screenshot:

Screenshot of Calendar from Quicken v6.2.2 - showing all transactions in the expected red color.

Screenshot of Calendar from Quicken v6.3.2 - showing positive transactions in green, and negative in red.

• JamieJoe
    JamieJoe Member ✭✭
    Options
    I just updated to Mac 6.3.2 and now I am unable to update accounts online. Is anyone else having this problem???
  • Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    JamieJoe said:
    I just updated to Mac 6.3.2 and now I am unable to update accounts online. Is anyone else having this problem???
    @JamieJoe See the following announcement. This may be why things aren't working as expected:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7898536/new-8-31-21-aws-outage-may-impact-downloading-transactions#latest
  • Jeff Bater
    Jeff Bater Member ✭✭
    Options
    Since the update I have having an issue with Quicken not being able to connect with T Rowe Price. Please see my question here: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7899067/quicken-having-trouble-connecting-with-t-rowe-price-retirement-plans#latest
  • georgesnow3
    Options
    I love the fact your Mac app is first rate. And understanding that being a good OS/platform citizen is important and why I am more then willing to pay for that experience with macOS apps.

The dark mode is really nice and thank you for allowing a preview of it
  • Creator1933
    Creator1933 Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    > @"Austin@" said:
    > I agree on needing differentiation for scheduled transactions in dark mode. In light mode the text is grayed out a bit, but in dark mode there is no difference. I’ve noticed Quicken uses the grayed out text in dark mode for opening balance transactions, so it would be nice if this was how scheduled transactions appeared as well. 

I also agree on needing the above differentiation in scheduled transactions in dark mode. I also noticed that when there are errors or trouble connecting to automatically synched accounts, there is an orange bubble that shows up on the left of the account listing in the left column within the Quicken app. That said, it seems to take longer to successfully sync with automatic downloads compared to previous releases and often I have been running into consistent downloading errors.
  • Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @Creator1933 The issue with scheduled transactions not being grayed out in dark mode like they are in light mode appears to be fixed in the most recent version. Now it’s easy to tell them apart. 

UPDATE: I was mistaken about this being fixed in 6.3.3. See below.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Austin@ said:
    @Creator1933 The issue with scheduled transactions not being grayed out in dark mode like they are in light mode appears to be fixed in the most recent version. Now it’s easy to tell them apart. 
    Not yet in the current released version of 6.3.3.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    jacobs said:

Not yet in the current released version of 6.3.3.
    @jacobs You are correct! I could have sworn I saw the change in 6.3.3 but I was mistaken. I apologize for the misinformation.
  • MoMoney99
    MoMoney99 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Options
    [removed - duplicate/off-topic]
  • meroni1
    meroni1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    This release has introduced a new problem on the Home dashboard in 'Overview'. The screen makes mistakes on which currency it's presenting. In Canadian it works fine. When I go to USD it will mix in some Canadian and US amounts. Example, in USD Overview I will click down on the Graphic of income and it will show me Canadian dollar income. I've also had times when the Overview screen has USD selected and all the data is Canadian dollar. All core activities are fine and reporting is ok. This seems to only an issue with the new dashboards.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2023
    Options
    meroni1 said:
    This release has introduced a new problem on the Home dashboard in 'Overview'.
    Which release? This thread is a year & a half old. Is the problem with 6.3 or with 6.11.3 (the current version)? Since you're referring to the Home Dashboard I'm guessing it's the latter, in which case you should start a new discussion thread.

Is the problem with the Dashboard or the Overview? Those are two separate things.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.