Deleting Accounts

I have two files (A and B). One file (A) has one account from the bank. The other file (B) has several more accounts from the same bank. Quicken has inexplicably started accounts and downloaded transactions into File A from all the bank accounts when I only want the one account in File A.

If I delete the unwanted accounts in File A, will that delete them in File B also?

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    How did you create these two files?  Did you make a copy of one to make the other?  If so, they are tied together in the background and Quicken thinks they are the same file and is confusing the download.  If so, you need to use the new file copy routine that separates the files in the background so that they are independent of each other.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.  Data files are completely separate.  What you do in one file will not affect the other file.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• pjnols
    pjnols Member
    Do you know why these accounts were started in File A? (so I don't do it again...)
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    How did you create these two files?  Did you make a copy of one to make the other?  If so, they are tied together in the background and Quicken thinks they are the same file and is confusing the download.  If so, you need to use the new file copy routine that separates the files in the background so that they are independent of each other.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    How did you create the second data file, was it just a copy of the first one?

Quicken data files have unique Ids in them that "sync to the Quicken Cloud account".  If you copy one data file to another and then start using that second data file as if it was separate from the first there can be all kinds of syncing problems, especially if you using Mobile/Web too.

When creating a new data file you need to use either:
    File -> New Quicken File
    Or with the latest versions of Quicken you can use:
    File -> Copy or Backup file -> Create a copy or template.  This new kind of copy creates a new data file with a different unique Id.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    pjnols said:
    Do you know why these accounts were started in File A? (so I don't do it again...)
    How and when did you create the files?

For the Quicken files to be completely independent, they need to have distinct internal file identifiers.  Prior to R34.13, the only way to create Quicken files with unique internal file identifiers was to create each file by selecting File > New Quicken File... As of R34.13, we may also create a Quicken file with a unique internal file identifier by selecting File > Copy or Backup File... and choosing Create a copy or template.