How to Delete Categories

Options

Comments

• ssickler
    ssickler Member ✭✭
    Options
    In Quicken Windows, can you delete a category? How? I have used Quicken for over 20 years and have some very old categories that are in the way. I do not want to hide them. I want to delete them permenantly.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @ssickler,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

To delete categories, please navigate to Tools > Category list > Right-click the category you wish to delete Click Delete.

Please be advised that deleting a category that is being used will also remove that category from each transaction in your register(s) that has that category assigned.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• aeronaut54
    aeronaut54 Member ✭✭
    Options
    this does not work as I right click I do not get an option to delete
  • aeronaut54
    aeronaut54 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Is there another way?
  • UserDavidC
    UserDavidC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In the Category List, what is the Type of the category you are trying to delete?

If it is a Transfer type, they can not be deleted as they are really accounts.

Otherwise the Right-Click should bring up a menu with the Delete option.
    Quicken user since 1995.
    Current subscription user.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You also can't delete built-in categories like _401Contrib.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    P.S. I would also check the usage number before deleting a category, since if you delete a category that is being used, it will leave the transactions that are using it without a category.  You might want to recategorize the transactions first.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    You also can't delete built-in categories like _401Contrib.
    You can take CONTROL of such deletions if you're a little SHIFTy. ;)

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• mjs9876543210
    mjs9876543210 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Rocket J Squirrel I'm having the same issue. I've tried holding SHIFT while right clicking but do see any difference in behavior. I'd be grateful if you'd tell me what I'm looking for. (QWin in virtual machine running on a Mac.) Thank you,
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Rocket J Squirrel I'm having the same issue. I've tried holding SHIFT while right clicking but do see any difference in behavior. I'd be grateful if you'd tell me what I'm looking for. (QWin in virtual machine running on a Mac.) Thank you,
    Ctrl+Shift+Right-click will present a Delete menu item for any category, including built-in ones you should not delete. As with all power tools, be careful.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.