Why does Investing Dashboard show 2x the actual shares held for every security

Options
Pete S
Pete S Member ✭✭
edited August 2021 in Investing (Windows)
If I own 1 it shows I own 2

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you select just one account in the Dashboard, is the total value correct and does it match the account balance?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Pete S
    Pete S Member ✭✭
    Options
    The total portfollo value is correct even tho each individal holding is double
  • Pete S
    Pete S Member ✭✭
    Options
    The discrepancy seems top affect only one of my accounts
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Pete S said:
    The total portfollo value is correct even tho each individal holding is double
    Is the value for the 1 impacted account correct?  Is the quote for each security correct?  Because, mathematically, what you're reporting is difficult at best.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Pete S
    Pete S Member ✭✭
    Options
    Somehow for this one account every thing is being doubled
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have you reviewed your investment account(s) for Placeholder Transactions?

About Placeholders (Quicken Windows)

"N/A" in certain fields of an investment transaction indicates that you have Placeholder transactions in your account that need to be deleted and/or replaced with the correct Buy / Sell / etc. transaction that should have been recorded here.
    For more about Placeholders please go into Quicken Help (press the F1 key from anywhere in Quicken) and perform a Contents search for "placeholder".
    Alternatively or in addition to the above, read the first few articles found here: https://www.quicken.com/support/search/placeholder

• Pete S
    Pete S Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks UKR, will look
  • Pete S
    Pete S Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have no placeholder entries in this account
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have you compared each of your register transactions to a printed brokerage statement? There is, e.g., one Buy register transaction for each actual Buy executed at the brokerage or is there one Buy and one Add Shares? Or are there other discrepancies that you can't explain?
    Have you validated your data file for errors?
    - Click File / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate File" and "Rebuild investing lots". If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".  Click OK. Let it run.

• Pete S
    Pete S Member ✭✭
    Options
    My register and the brokerage are in sync
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And no validation errors?

In that case, and if you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

• JerryMJ
    JerryMJ Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issue. One account, only on the investment dashboard and it shows 2x the number of shares owned for the account. Everywhere else in Quicken the shares and total $ are correct.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JerryMJ said:
    I have the exact same issue. One account, only on the investment dashboard and it shows 2x the number of shares owned for the account. Everywhere else in Quicken the shares and total $ are correct.

Well, then, follow the exact same directions that @UKR provided in the message immediately about yours.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jlaur_25
    jlaur_25 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I had the same issue and ran the 'rebuild investing lots' under the validate and repair screen and it fixed it.