Trying to Renew [edited]

Rani Leuder
Rani Leuder Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Before you Buy
I was horrified to see that after purchasing the annual license fee (Quicken software wasn't working and wouldn't take my payment) that after giving my intuit id and password - and I was accepted. I was suddenly shunted to Home Depot, where the representative told me that I had no choice, I would not be able to proceed until I gave them my Intuit ID and password. Which I would never do in a million years.

[removed - profanity] I can't tell you how offensive that is. The rep claimed that I was just to do this for security - obviously he was lying because giving a large corporation that has a lot of vendors would put me at far greater risk.

I'm not an idiot. Clearly, the biggest risk for being hacked is when vendors, who have access to their computers and are tech savy can swipe my personal profile and financial data. Again, I am not stupid.

I'm disgusted that you all think you can use Quicken users while you promote Office Depot and access all our financial data. Which can be hacked.

So how on earth can you all be willing to sacrifice our security in exchange for marketing and making money.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Rani Leuder

My name is Sarah, I am the Senior Moderator in the Quicken Community and an official representative of the Quicken Support Team.

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience with the community, although I sincerely apologize for any confusion or inconvenience experienced.

To clarify, Quicken contacts with third-party retailers, such as Office Depot, to sell our software, but that is the extent of our relationship, no information is provided or sold to these third-party retailers and if you haven't already, I would highly encourage you to review our privacy policy, available here.

Quicken takes our members security and privacy very seriously, we have never experienced a data breach and Support will never ask for your login credentials to protect your privacy and security.

I also took the liberty of reviewing our system and do not see a recent case with our Quicken Support team, the last contact we have documented is from October of 2020, so it appears that you were not speaking with Quicken Support.

As requested by @NotACPA above, do you have a photo of the number listed on the Quicken package you purchased?

I also took the liberty of reviewing your current subscription and see that your Quicken subscription is valid until 05/28/2022, so you should not have needed to renew until you were within 6 months of that date.

This is most likely why you experienced issues purchasing directly from the www.quicken.com website, as we block renewals that are not within 6 months of the expiration date.

I hope this information is helpful, please share an image of the number you contacted and if needed, the Official Quicken Support is available at https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support or directly at (650) 250-1900.

Thank you,

Sarah

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you have been scammed. 

First of all, the ID for Quicken is your Quicken ID, not Intuit.

Were you doing this on the phone? No one at Quicken would ever ask for your password, and they would not transfer you to Home Depot.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    @Rani Leuder - Sorry to hear you experienced this but it appears that you've been a victim of fraud.  First, Quicken has not been a part of Intuit for 5 years.  The Intuit ID used with Quicken prior to that was replaced with a Quicken ID and the Intuit ID has not worked with Quicken for 5 years.
    I also seriously doubt that you were communicating with actual Home Depot/Office Depot employees.  What they were requesting of you sounds very much like they were scammers.  An actual Office Depot employee would not have asked for your ID info because they do not need that to sell you Quicken.
    I do suggest that you:
    1)  Immediately log into your www.Quicken.com account: 
    • Change your PW. 
    • I also suggest you consider changing your ID
    • I also suggest you consider changing the phone number you have listed there (if feasible).  (Phone number can be used to gain access to accounts.
    • Confirm that your subscription was actually extended.  My guess is that it probably was not because the site you entered your credit card into most likely belonged to the scammer(s).
    2)  Immediately contact your credit card company and explain the situation to them and that you might have been a victim of fraud.  They will likely freeze your credit card account, close your current credit card and send you a new credit card with a different account number. 
    FYI:  I have been a Quicken customer for many years.  I honestly cannot ever remember seeing Quicken advertise anything or any company on their Quicken.com website other than Quicken and Quicken related products.  Be extra careful when clicking on links to anywhere from anywhere...always hover the cursor over the link and read the URL to make sure it is really taking you to the website you want to go to.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Rani Leuder
    Rani Leuder Member ✭✭
    Thanks for getting back. Yes, I was personally shocked by the Quicken system.

Background - before I explain my comments wrt Quicken, let me say many corporations were hacked and leaked my personal info. Thousands of dollars have been stolen from my personal and business bank accounts. I found a terrorist website depicting black siluettes of people with assault weapons listing my name, AMEX numbers, Social Security #, my phone and where I live. That is not unusual.

Back to your question. First, my Quicken software would not update because first I needed to refill my annual subscription. Despite my repeated attempts to do so, I was stuck in a looping circle leading me to bad links. Quicken software "indicated" that they were experiencing a problem and I should purchase it on Quicken's website.

I then purchased the annual subscription online, and it confirmed that I renewed my annual subscription through most of next year.

Yet even after reinstalling the software, I still couldn't re-activate Quicken.

Quicken software lists a phone number to call for problems. When I did so I ended up talking with a person at Office Depot, which the rep believed owned quicken. He essenntially refused to help me unless I give my Intuit ID and password for him to help me. After I refused he told me I had no choice, it was only "for my safety".

He seemed to be clueless. I told told him giving this information to him and Office Depot MAKES ME LESS SAFE. I had already posted this info in my Quicken and on Quicken's website. When did I agree to keep giving my private and essential financial data away to them? It increases my risk in several ways

The single biggest way that the biggest leaks of concern are from corporations who are accessed by large numbers of vendors. Office Depot has a TON of vendors. And why on earth did he need that information in order to give me basic advice about steps to use Quicken software?

So my Quicken still didn't work and I was being exposed to an increasing amount of risk.

By the way, I got on a website with terrorists with assault weapons because I bought a book from a third party on AZ's website. It's easy to have our identity stolen.

Rani
  • Rani Leuder
    Rani Leuder Member ✭✭
    Jim Harmon, thanks also. I have had so many problems caused by corporations etc - not by my lack of security protocols. I called the number listed on my Quicken software, which ended up reaching a rep at Office Depot.

We all need to do what we can to protect ourselves, but no matter what we do, corporations and parties are often hacked and put us at risk. Some companies are safer than others and we may only learn afterwards.

By the way, my personal and business bank accounts were not broken into because I did not follow security protocols, it happened because my bank was hacked.

Thanks for your input. I don't understand why I reached an Office Depot rep. I'll call the number again.

Thanks, Rani
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you show us a graphic of that "number listed on [your] Quicken software"?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Rani Leuder

My name is Sarah, I am the Senior Moderator in the Quicken Community and an official representative of the Quicken Support Team.

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience with the community, although I sincerely apologize for any confusion or inconvenience experienced.

To clarify, Quicken contacts with third-party retailers, such as Office Depot, to sell our software, but that is the extent of our relationship, no information is provided or sold to these third-party retailers and if you haven't already, I would highly encourage you to review our privacy policy, available here.

Quicken takes our members security and privacy very seriously, we have never experienced a data breach and Support will never ask for your login credentials to protect your privacy and security.

I also took the liberty of reviewing our system and do not see a recent case with our Quicken Support team, the last contact we have documented is from October of 2020, so it appears that you were not speaking with Quicken Support.

As requested by @NotACPA above, do you have a photo of the number listed on the Quicken package you purchased?

I also took the liberty of reviewing your current subscription and see that your Quicken subscription is valid until 05/28/2022, so you should not have needed to renew until you were within 6 months of that date.

This is most likely why you experienced issues purchasing directly from the www.quicken.com website, as we block renewals that are not within 6 months of the expiration date.

I hope this information is helpful, please share an image of the number you contacted and if needed, the Official Quicken Support is available at https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support or directly at (650) 250-1900.

Thank you,

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.