Quicken now downloading Schwab transactions to wrong Schwab Account

Comments

• HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭
    Just a thought... I have permission to look at my wife's accounts from my login. In my case, my brokerage and Traditional IRA accounts share the last 3 digits... imagine how I felt when all of a sudden I had taxable capital gains trades (deferred in the IRA) in my brokerage account! Perhaps if your login gives you permission to view your wife's accounts while you are online as you, that's sufficient privilege for Schwab to provide all matching transactions to the Quicken 3-digit download request.
  • HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭
    You may have permission to look at your wife's accounts even though you are logged on as you. This may be sufficient permission for Schwab to include your wife's transactions when Quicken update asks for yours referencing only the last three digits. My wife and I have personal logins but we can see the other's accounts.
  • Ronald L Doyle
    Ronald L Doyle Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your input, but my wife’s Roth and my Roth are on totally different logins with no ability to see each other’s accounts from our own personal login. The only common ground is we both have the same last three digits of our account number and both accounts are in the same quicken data file. It’s just crazy how screwed up this is. I’ve been using quicken since 1993 and have never been so frustrated and disillusioned 
  • HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭
    I can only conclude that if you can't see you wife's accounts from your normal login and Quicken is receiving transactions from her matching number account at Schwab that there are serious issues here in confidentiality and security beyond the downloads just being broken. What a mess.
  • Laserjock
    Laserjock Member ✭✭
    You gentlemen just above are describing the same problem that I’ve had since I started this post. You’ve provided additional information that parallels my situation. I’ve been using Quicken since Quicken for DOS and this is an absolute mess. I am stopping downloading transactions from them because of the errors - download going into the incorrect accounts, questions about account security, etc. Like everyone, we have year-end reconciliations to do and I’m tired of trying a new build which doesn’t work, then restoring an old back up in the new build and having the same problems reoccur. I may give it another try it by uninstalling Quicken, downloading and installing their latest build, restoring a back up from a date prior to October 31 when this Idiocracy began, and not excepting any transactions downloaded from a date earlier than October 31. Who knows?
  • artg
    artg Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Good morning.  I'd like to join this thread with my take.

For what it's worth...First, I have little to zero confidence in Q downloads for our investments.  Therefore, every morning BEFORE I do a OSU (One Step Update) I go into Schwab and manually check for new transactions.

If there are any new transactions I manually enter them into their respective investment account.  Then I do the OSU and see what matches.  Or, in other words, see how lucky I get today.  I accept the matches and delete the bogus downloads.

What used to (before 18 Nov) take minutes for the results of a One Step Update now takes a significant amount of time because of the preparation required before the OSU.

[Removed - Presumption] I have less confidence in those instructions then I do the OSU.  In other words, in the last four weeks I've learned to depend on my fellow Q Community members like you for guidance, counsel and suggestions.

How's that for a posting?

• HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭
    That's a lot of work!! I've not seen a need to be so rigorous, but maybe my simple dividend reinvestments and an occasional buy or sell do not put a strain on the Quicken-Schwab update software or maybe I'm just foolish and naive.

My typical update process for my three Schwab accounts is to download whatever transactions Schwab may have for me, then hit "accept all" on each transaction list to empty the download dialogs and instantly populate each of the three Quicken registers. Then I login to Schwab on the other screen and pull up the relevant account statement and verify that my registry entries match the statement and that the account balances are in agreement. I've been doing this every month for years with no issues until the middle of November.

Now one of my two Schwab accounts with matching last-three digits won't even link to the corresponding Quicken account and the downloaded transactions show up in the wrong accounts or not at all. The download function with Schwab is broken and to use it runs the risk of corrupting valid register data that I need to properly calculate a taxable IRA disbursement this month.

It is a mystery to me why Schwab and Quicken wouldn't have wrung out this significant change with several beta testers before turning it loose on the rest of us. Very poor form.
  • artg
    artg Member ✭✭✭✭
    @HJH Consult

Good afternoon.  You're absolutely correct!  It is a lot of work and before 18 November I did NOT do that work.  Like you, I used to simply download the transactions and verify on the Schwab website. 

Unfortunately, the "new normal" has me doing essentially what we pay Q to do for us.  You're trying to accurately calculate an IRA distribution and I (like many others) are trying to get a our arms around a potential 18 January 2022 estimated tax payment.  

It really doesn't matter which one we're trying to calculate...the important point is the tool we subscribe to (and pay for) is not able to support our needs.
  • wcmini
    wcmini Member ✭✭
    I have one account ending in 664. My wife also has one ending in 664. We also have a Trust account ending in 664 which we both have access to. In Quicken, I download my 664 and the 664 Trust account using my ID. My wife's 664 account is down loaded using her ID. I have not seen transactions going into the wrong accounts yet. That may show up when I try to balance the accounts at the end of December.

What I see as strange is that my 664 account had the holdings last updated on 11/16/2021 @ 4PM. On the Charles Schwab site, there are transactions beginning 12/10/2021, which do not appear inthe account in Quicken. Not sure what is going on.

Any ideas as to solution?
  • HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭
    Hi. I've been trying new revisions of Quicken since the end of Nov to get the correct behavior back in linking and downloading from Schwab. I have two accounts with matching last three digits and those are the ones giving trouble... a coincidence? Maybe, but I doubt it. Quicken says on this page that they will have a new production release next week. I hope it makes a difference. This is the page I'm watching..
    https://www.quicken.com/support/charles-schwab-transaction-download-changes
  • wcmini
    wcmini Member ✭✭
    Hello HJH Consult,

Thank you for the info,

Quicken tells me that I am on the latest release R37.37. I am a little confused because there are release notes for R37.52. on this page:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

I guess the best plan is to just check every day next week to see if Quicken tells me there is a new release available.
  • HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭
    I guess I do the same thing. When a link to a new rev has appeared somewhere, I have given it a try. 5 new revs over the past week and no Schwab improvement. Fortunately, haven't broken my database... yet.
  • nerdindenial
    nerdindenial Member ✭✭✭
    Last I checked, a Mondo patch is available for 37.52. They are rolling it out slowly in stages because of the previous 37.37 problems which led to a hold on on it. 37.37 is generally worse than 36.48 and 36.54, AFAIK - although there is no urgency to change if you are not having problems.
  • HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭
    FYI.. I have been downloading and trying new revisions as I find them. I do not understand their numbering system where the third set of digits toggle between 36 and 37?? Who knows.. for the record, I was running 27.1.36.?? when Schwab stopped working in mid-Nov. Between tech support and the Community boards, I have tested the following revisions beginning with 37.37 which was sent to me by Quicken Sarah on 7Dec. Since then, I have found every other day or so the following downloads which I installed and tested against Schwab, in order: 37.41, 37.42, 37.45, 36.54, 37.52, and I am currently at 36.56. Every one of these revisions delivers exactly the same result: one of two matching three number accounts not activated and intermittent missing/delayed transactions. I think it is significant that none of these revisions presents me with the customary linking dialog window where I am to specify which Schwab account corresponds with an existing Quicken account. All of these program builds present me with a "Return to Quicken" button which I click, resulting in 30 to 40 seconds of blinking screens (no linking dialog shows) and then... done... incorrectly. I'm thinking the matching account numbers sent back by Schwab may crash the linking dialog routine and the Quicken process just continues on ignoring one of the matching number accounts. Hard to tell what's going on, but they're pretty consistent. Hope they get less consistent soon.
  • HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭
    So after 3 weeks, I finally got my three Schwab accounts linked and downloading between Quicken and Schwab. The secret sauce that worked for me..

1. Running 27.1.37.52... available here... https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

2. Discovered in one of my wife's Schwab accounts, which I maintain manually because of low activity, had zzz-Schwab and an account number in the account details dialog. I deleted all info, checked that it was not activated, and clicked OK. I think this was the detail holding me back... no old Schwab mention can exist in Quicken if new links are to be created under the new Schwab protocol.

3. Reviewed my three Schwab account detail dialogs and confirmed that name and acct number fields were blank. All three accounts were deactivated.

4. Used Add New Account to connect to Charles Schwab instead of the Set-Up facility associated with the account registers... more top level, I suppose, although the screens look the same.

5. Designated with the check the three of the seven total Schwab accounts I have that are to be linked to corresponding accounts back in Quicken.

6. Clicked Back to Quicken and amazingly, I was given the account linking window that I haven't seen since November.

7. Matched up the existing accounts with the three Schwab accounts and clicked OK...

All back to normal!!
  • HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭
    So after 3 weeks, I finally got my three Schwab accounts linked and downloading between Quicken and Schwab. The secret sauce that worked for me..

1. Running 27.1.37.52... available here... https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

2. Discovered in one of my wife's Schwab accounts, which I maintain manually because of low activity, had zzz-Schwab and an account number in the account details dialog. I deleted all info, checked that it was not activated, and clicked OK. I think this was the detail holding me back... no old Schwab mention can exist in Quicken if new links are to be created under the new Schwab protocol.

3. Reviewed my three Schwab account detail dialogs and confirmed that name and acct number fields were blank. All three accounts were deactivated.

4. Used Add New Account to connect to Charles Schwab instead of the Set-Up facility associated with the account registers... more top level, I suppose, although the screens look the same.

5. Designated with the check the three of the seven total Schwab accounts I have that are to be linked to corresponding accounts back in Quicken.

6. Clicked Back to Quicken and amazingly, I was given the account linking window that I haven't seen since November.

7. Matched up the existing accounts with the three Schwab accounts and clicked OK...

All back to normal!!
  • HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭

All back to normal!!
  • HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭

All back to normal!!
  • HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken Sarah

Please delete my last three entries here which were unintentionally pasted copies. I do not seem to be able to delete them myself. Apologies for the trouble.

Thank you
  • Laserjock
    Laserjock Member ✭✭
    HJH,

But have you downloaded transactions to these accounts. After several iterations and updates similar to yours, I was able to have mine all link correctly also, but did a transaction download and was still getting transactions from account A going into account B. (Both have the same final three digits.)
  • Ronald L Doyle
    edited January 2022
    Is anyone at Quicken working on the issue of accounts at Schwab that share the same last three digits in the account number downloading transactions to the wrong account? This issue persists and I haven't seen any acknowledgement from Quicken.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Is anyone at Quicken working on the issue of accounts at Schwab that share the same last three digits in the account number downloading transactions to the wrong account? This issue persists and I haven't seen any acknowledgement from Quicken.
    Hello Ronald L Doyle,

Thank you for speaking with us about this issue, and for being so patient with us during this transition. I know that the Charles Schwab download errors are distressing. One question I had while reading your description of the problem was this: what instance of Charles Schwab are you trying to link your account to? 

Thanks,

Quicken Jared
  • Ronald L Doyle
    Not sure what you mean by “instance” but I have 6 brokerage accounts at Schwab, 4 under one login and 2 under a separate login. I use the Schwab Alliance site but it is the same as the Schwab retail brokerage site. All accounts are mapped correctly to the appropriate account in Quicken. The problem is, my wife’s Roth account and my Roth account numbers end in the same 3 digits. The two accounts are on separate Schwab logins. However all transactions in either account download to my wife’s Roth account. All other accounts have been downloading correctly. On other threads, I’ve seen posts from others experiencing the same issue.
  • DSmythe
    DSmythe Member ✭✭
    Having same issue here - it was working after the last problems, and then suddenly stopped working again. I have multiple accounts as well, including a checking.
  • HJH Consult
    HJH Consult Member ✭✭✭
    @Laserjock
    Good point... all entries at the time had been manually entered and/or deleted or moved to the correct register so there were no transactions to download. I was so excited to see the account linking window and the three activated accounts that I didn't want to imagine that the transaction download might still be messed up. I will check that out after a couple of dividends come in. Thank you for the heads up!
  • Laserjock
    Laserjock Member ✭✭
    @HJH Consult
    Please let me know what you find after you do a transaction download to those accounts. I clicked on your link above and tried to find the same version you mentioned you are running. It links to a Mondo patch of an earlier version so I wonder if the version you are currently running it’s not available anymore.
  • dgood
    dgood Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    I have a problem with transactions downloading to the wrong Schwab account. I have two accounts with account numbers differing by a single digit (XXXX-9XXX). One of the accounts is correctly getting the transaction intended for it, as well as the transaction intended for the second account. This has happened for every download instance since the changeover to the Express Web Connect+ connection method on 11/17/2021. If I go to Tools... Account.... select the account EDIT...., I see the account id listed for both accounts as XXXXX999. Customer id is blank. The account names listed are unique and are consistent with the way they appear at Schwab and on the Account legend on the far right in Quicken.
    I have had numerous calls and chats with Quicken support over the last few weeks, and sent problem reports with logs each time this has occurred.

I suspect, and am attempting to have Quicken confirm, that the process whereby transactions are logged to the Quicken account is comparing only the last 3 digits, which are the same for both of my accounts. If my assumption is correct, the problem can be resolved if Quicken compares using the last 4 digits.
  • dgood
    dgood Member ✭✭
    Note: This was not corrected (for me) by the R36.54 patch issued on 12/13/2021. I updated from R36.57 to R37.62 on 12/28/2021.
    @Quicken Kathryn
  • dgood
    dgood Member ✭✭
    Note: I am using "Move transactions" from the gear menu for the investment register to place the incorrectly downloaded transaction in the correct account. Quicken does an automatic "validate file" each time I move a transaction.
  • DerikW
    DerikW Member
    edited March 2022
    Schwab is having problem discerning two accounts I have that have the same last 3 digit account numbers. It downloads the wrong account to the same three digit account number. It needs to download to two different accounts that happen to be different but have the same last 3 digits in the account number. Any advise or how do I communicate this to Quicken or Schwab to fix. I never had this issue before the conversion. Thank you
This discussion has been closed.