my computer won't open and I can access quicken... and I don't have it backed up. Is it in the cloud

:) I have a new computer and hope I can get my 2021 Quicken onto it -- 12 months of tracking expenses... and it is soon tax time. hope someone can help
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hi @masseerose

Thank you for responding, I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this. Unfortunately, in order to be able to transfer the Quicken data from your old computer to your new computer, you would need access to the old computer in order to download and save a file and then transfer it. I wish you the best of luck in being able to gain access to your old computer. 

Thank you so much for reaching out to the community and do not hesitate to do so in the future for any issues that you experience!

Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

Answers

• Hi @masseerose

Thank you for contacting the Quicken community. In order to better understand what is going on, I would like to get some information from you. 

Have you already downloaded Quicken onto your new computer? 
    What is the Quicken build that you are running on your old computer? You can see this by opening the quicken application> clicking quicken located at the menu bar at the top of your desktop> clicking about Quicken. This will tell you the version and the build that you are running. 

I look forward to hearing your response and helping you work through this. 

Thank you, 
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

• thanks so much Quicken Jasmine.. I don't know what Quicken I was running on my old computer and I am locked out of it.. so can't even find that information. I was hoping that maybe it was somewhere in my history with quicken
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hi @masseerose

Thank you for responding, I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this. Unfortunately, in order to be able to transfer the Quicken data from your old computer to your new computer, you would need access to the old computer in order to download and save a file and then transfer it. I wish you the best of luck in being able to gain access to your old computer. 

Thank you so much for reaching out to the community and do not hesitate to do so in the future for any issues that you experience!

Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @masseerose IF you backed up your Q data files to an external device, such as a USB drive or the Q Cloud or a network drive, you can restore from there to Q on your new computer.
    If you didn't backup to an external device, and only backed up to your old computer, which you're locked out of, then sorry, but your out of luck.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    There are two components to running Quicken on a desktop PC.

One is the Quicken software itself.  The other is your Quicken data file.

If you are running Quicken 2021, commonly known as Quicken Subscription, and if you purchased the subscription from the Quicken website, you can download the software from quicken.com and logging into your account by clicking on the Sign In > My account > Sign In option.  Enter your Quicken ID and password...then select Access Your Apps.  

The Quicken software download file will be there.

As to your Quicken data file, you can access this by copying the .qdf file from your PC via a flash drive, or accessing a backup of your data file on your PC or an external hard drive or if you backup to a cloud based drive such as DropBox or One Drive.

If you use Quicken's Sync to Mobile cloud, that is a subset of your entire Quicken data file and cannot be used as a full backup.  Thus, the answer would be that you cannot use that to restore your Quicken data file. 

If you can't access your Quicken data file or a suitable backup from your PC due to a hard drive crash or other disaster...and you don't have your file saved outside of that PC (such as an external drive or a valid cloud based drive), you're unfortunately out of luck.  
  • thank you all for responding to my inquiry. I got it... probably lost forever... many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.