Quicken for Mac v6.5 Released

Options

Comments

• glennmacc
    glennmacc Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @shing, @garysmith87 Thanks.  Yes, that worked.  I am sure that did not exist when I wrote that (somewhere about version 6.0 I think), but I could be wrong.  Either way, I appreciate the heads up.  I can simplify one set of reports at least.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    jacobs said:
    This is why @RickO has suggested a third Activity Options setting for "Highlight accounts with downloaded unreviewed transactions". Such a setting would allow people with manually-entered transactions (orange pencil) in a connected account to not get a blue dot for the account for those manual transactions; the blue dot would appear only if there are unreviewed downloaded transactions. 
    To pontificate on this a bit more: @Quicken Marcus said that showing the blue account level dot on connected accounts with orange pencils only is a bug. I'm not sure I agree with that. Here's why: I think it should be consistent with what happens when you invoke the "Not Reviewed" status filter. When you invoke that filter, you show both blue and orange pencils as well as blue dots. That's not much of a problem for those of us with manually entered transactions in connected accounts, since there usually aren't so many transactions that it fills more than one screen. In fact, it is more useful this way than if the filter only showed the blue icon transactions (because sometimes you are in fact looking for a wayward orange pencil transaction). That is why I believe a third options (whatever the wording might be) for the account level blue dot would be most appropriate and give the users the most flexibility. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • SRC1954
    SRC1954 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Quicken Marcus I can attest that the Download bug that overwrites user's entered transaction date is there for any Quicken Connect accounts. That's FirstUSBank.com, Capital One 360, etc. The same bug showed up at the same time in Simplifi, which must use Quicken Connect. Simplifi doesn't give you a choice of Web Connect or Direct Connect. My Direct Connect accounts, Fidelity, American Express and Chase are unaffected.

Steve
    MS Money/Quicken Classic since 1991
    Quicken Simplifi since 2021

• kalkan
    kalkan Member
    Options
    on my home page, the spending by category graph only shows certain categories and the amount is FAR less than it was prior to the upgrade - it used to display all major categories and then an "other" category that added up to all the money ive spent YTD. i do not se a way to edit the graph or the report
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jacobs said:

However, the Portfolio screen's Group by Asset Class continues to be badly broken because it is using the Asset Class of "Asset Mixture" rather than using the underlying asset mix we can now see and edit. Because I have a large percentage of my investments in mutual funds, all — 100% — of my 20-some mutual funds are lumped into a single line of Asset Mixture. Even bond funds which are 99.8% Domestic Bonds and 0.2% Cash are evaluated as "Asset Mixture" on the Portfolio screen. 

I have and will continue to suggest lots of additional features and tweaks for the Dashboard as you continue to build its functionality, but I'm writing to urge you not to do any more work on the Dashboard until you fix what was broken with the 6.3 release six months ago on the Portfolio view, which many Quicken users depend on. Can you please tell us if this at the top of your development plans for a future 6.6 release? 
    The Portfolio View - Group by Asset Class isn't necessarily wrong but is simply displaying a simplified view of assets until we can make improvements to allow it to take advantage of the detailed asset mixture information that we now have. This requires a complete re-work of that view since securities will be shown multiple times in the list and we'll need to remove columns and tweak the calculations so it's not that simple to get it right. We've been looking at this since 6.3 and will update it when it's finished. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    Options
    dhammabob said:
    @Quicken Marcus seeing green = signs after every sync even though no new transactions were downloaded, is this a bug?
    This is a new feature. There was a desire from auto-reconcile customers to be able to see at a glance which accounts if any failed auto-reconcile so that customers knew they had to manually reconcile an account.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Quicken Marcus said:

The Portfolio View - Group by Asset Class isn't necessarily wrong but is simply displaying a simplified view of assets until we can make improvements to allow it to take advantage of the detailed asset mixture information that we now have.
    @Quicken Marcus While that may be the case, perhaps what you're not taking into account is that due to the Dashboard changes for downloaded asset class information, every mutual fund and ETF now shows as Asset Mixture. So while the Dashboard card for my brokerage accounts (excluding one holding individual stocks) shows this useful breakdown...

...here's what I see on the Portfolio view:

So you can call this a "simplified view of assets", and I suppose you're technically correct, but I think that understates the problem! ;) When Asset Class shows only one class of "Asset Mixture," I don't think I'm too far wrong in calling that "broken."

Prior to the Dashboard being introduced, each of my funds had the asset class I assigned it. With 6.5, I now have the option of turning off the checkbox to use downloaded account information to restore my Portfolio view to what it used to show -- but then the Dashboard loses the detailed asset mix information as well and becomes even less useful. So that's the current Sophie's choice: live with the broken Portfolio view, or partially fix that and partially break the Dashboard view. I don't really want to edit each of my  securities individually to switch it back to the non-downloaded asset class and then have to undo this when you get the Portfolio view fixed, so I'm living with the view above for the time being... and hoping it won't be too long until you get the Portfolio view to work with the detailed asset mixture data.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Marcus
    Options
    jacobs said:
    @Quicken Marcus If it helps in reaching out to people about this date issue @Austin@ mentions above, I can refer you to this thread where four users reported seeing the same problem with Quicken Connect downloads:
    • user @SRC1954 reports transaction dates with Chase change when using Quicken Connect but not when using Direct Connect or Web Connect;
    • user @Michael Schmitt reports it with Quicken Connect for Elan Financial Services;
    • user @hmeloab reports it for Chase when using Quicken Connect;
    • user @Austin@ reports it for Capital One Card Services, Chase, Altabank, Venmo, & PayPal.
    (This was also discussed in a Beta thread here  by some of the same users.)
    Thanks This will help us track it down. I'll reach out separately to those of you running into issues. We need to be able to reproduce the issue before we can fix it. I don't think it's an issue that everyone is seeing. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    Options
    SRC1954 said:
    @Quicken Marcus I can attest that the Download bug that overwrites user's entered transaction date is there for any Quicken Connect accounts. That's FirstUSBank.com, Capital One 360, etc. The same bug showed up at the same time in Simplifi, which must use Quicken Connect. Simplifi doesn't give you a choice of Web Connect or Direct Connect. My Direct Connect accounts, Fidelity, American Express and Chase are unaffected.
    Hi Steve, I started reading through the forums and your post was very helpful. The fact that this started happening around 12/8 and occurs on both Simplifi and Quicken Mac tells me this is most likely a service issue so I filed a ticket against the service to investigate what changes they have made around that time so hopefully, they can find and fix their issue asap.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Options
    jacobs said:
    Quicken Marcus said:

The Portfolio View - Group by Asset Class isn't necessarily wrong but is simply displaying a simplified view of assets until we can make improvements to allow it to take advantage of the detailed asset mixture information that we now have
    So you can call this a "simplified view of assets", and I suppose you're technically correct, but I think that understates the problem! ;) When Asset Class shows only one class of "Asset Mixture," I don't think I'm too far wrong in calling that "broken."
    Fair point. I don't disagree with you about the issue or the priority. I guess I was just pointing out that it's not that different than it was before we added the detailed asset mixture in the dashboard but I see your argument that it's actually worse since before you could label an S&P 500 Fund as Large Cap and you'd be mostly right vs getting Asset Mixture. We'll improve it as soon as we can. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    Options
    kalkan said:
    on my home page, the spending by category graph only shows certain categories and the amount is FAR less than it was prior to the upgrade - it used to display all major categories and then an "other" category that added up to all the money ive spent YTD. i do not se a way to edit the graph or the report
    I don't think we changed anything on the Home Page so I wouldn't expect there to be any changes in 6.5. I see 5 categories in my pie chart with Other as the 6th category? How many are you seeing and how many did you see before?
  • Quicken Marcus
    Options
    RickO said:
    jacobs said:
    This is why @RickO has suggested a third Activity Options setting for "Highlight accounts with downloaded unreviewed transactions". Such a setting would allow people with manually-entered transactions (orange pencil) in a connected account to not get a blue dot for the account for those manual transactions; the blue dot would appear only if there are unreviewed downloaded transactions. 
    To pontificate on this a bit more: @Quicken Marcus said that showing the blue account level dot on connected accounts with orange pencils only is a bug. I'm not sure I agree with that. Here's why: I think it should be consistent with what happens when you invoke the "Not Reviewed" status filter. 
    Rick, interesting point about the Not Reviewed filter showing orange pencil transactions. I'm calling the orange pencil triggering the blue dot a bug because it's not working the way we designed it. If people want a 3rd option, we can discuss that for a future release but that's a bigger change than we want to pick up in 6.5. 
  • nothingclever
    nothingclever Member ✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I am reporting a bug in regards to the new investing dashboard. The number of shares of call/put options is incorrectly calculated in the new dashboard. This was not the case before.
  • nothingclever
    Options
    I think the issue here is that downloads for call and put options are downloaded as a multiple of 100. Even though I bought three contracts, which is technically equivalent to 300shares. Now dashboard multiples these options an additional 100, so henceown we got to 30,000 shares
  • Quicken Marcus
    Options
    I am reporting a bug in regards to the new investing dashboard. The number of shares of call/put options is incorrectly calculated in the new dashboard. This was not the case before.
    Thanks for reporting this issue. Let me investigate.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Options
    Thanks for reporting this issue. Let me investigate.
    We were able to find the issue and will have a fix as part of 6.5.1.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Options
    We just shipped v6.5.1 which has fixes for the orange pencil triggering the blue dot as an unreviewed transaction and the option share count issue on the dashboard. Give it a try and let me know in this forum if it's working better or closer to how you think it should work.
  • larc2
    larc2 Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    December 28 received 2 updates of v6.5.1 (605.42634.100) and later (605.42638.100)
  • Robert Lynch
    Robert Lynch Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @larc2 said:
    > December 28 received 2 updates of v6.5.1 (605.42634.100) and later (605.42638.100)

What about the alignment issues with the reports mentioned above?
  • larc2
    larc2 Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    > @larc2 said:
    > December 28 received 2 updates of v6.5.1 (605.42634.100) and later (605.42638.100)

What about the alignment issues with the reports mentioned above?
    FYI copied from original poster above
    Now for the bug in reports that I have seen since 6.4 (it may have occurred earlier, but that was the first time I saw it, and maybe everyone knows about this and I am just behind, but here goes):

In a summary report over long periods of time, if you scroll the dates (years in this case) across the screen to see previous years, then scroll back to the more recent years, the column headers (year) and the resultant totals become misaligned (see images below, the first image is when you first open the report and columns are aligned, the second shows the misalignment).  If you click on a subtotal under a specific year, you actually get a detailed breakdown of a different year than you are expecting.  I know I am not explaining this very clearly, I am happy to discuss more fully if anyone is confused.  Can anyone else re-create this behavior?
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    We just shipped v6.5.1 which has fixes for the orange pencil triggering the blue dot as an unreviewed transaction and the option share count issue on the dashboard. Give it a try and let me know in this forum if it's working better or closer to how you think it should work.

"Highlight accounts with unreviewed transactions" is now working the way I want it to.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here's a good one.  The new DASHBOARD view for Top Movers...Gainers and Losers...By Value.

Doesn't matter whether the security is a positive or negative number.  It ignores the sign completely with the sort.

This is dumb.  Like...really dumb.  The sort order should be smallest to largest or largest to smallest...AND take into effect whether it's a gain or loss.  

Thus, smallest to largest would have the biggest loss or smallest gain to biggest gain.  Largest to smallest would have biggest gain to smallest gain or biggest loss. 

Here's the example:

Notice that the 529.40 is in order...but is it REALLY in order?  It completely disregards the sign.

This also is wrong if I would sort By Percent.  The sign is completely ignored...just the ordinal number is sorted.  Sorry, but this is really dumb and needs to be fixed.  
  • SRC1954
    SRC1954 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Quicken Marcus. I am cautiously optimistic that 6.5.1 solved the date change problem with downloaded matched transactions. For the first time in several weeks, my download didn't change the transaction date for Quicken connect First US Bank. I have more transactions clearing today so I should know definitively tomorrow. But the Sync Error box that started popping up with 6.5 is still there although I am pretty sure everything is synching anyhow.

Steve
    MS Money/Quicken Classic since 1991
    Quicken Simplifi since 2021

• RickO
    Options
    We just shipped v6.5.1 which has fixes for the orange pencil triggering the blue dot as an unreviewed transaction ... let me know in this forum if it's working better or closer to how you think it should work.
    The blue dot function is now working as expected...with a couple of comments:
    1. I see that non-connected accounts still show the blue dot when there are orange pencil transactions in the register. I think this is a good thing, but perhaps the account-level symbol could be an orange pencil for non-connected accounts to be more in keeping with what is seen inside the register.
    2. In checking on some investment accounts, I noticed that Placeholder transactions are marked with an orange pencil, even though they are not manually entered. As such, they correctly do not trigger the account-level blue dot. However, I feel like it would be good if these were flagged at the account level since we often hear from users who are unaware they exist. After all, they appear at the often unseen beginning of the register and fall into a strange bin: not really downloaded but also not manually entered. I suggest changing the Status column icon for Placeholder transactions to something different, e.g. a blue square. Then they would usefully trigger the account-level blue dot when present and not reviewed.
    I realize #2 above is outside the scope of the account-level blue dot functionality and would also require some changes to documentation (https://tinyurl.com/2p85cxw9). But I hope it's something that will be considered for a future update.

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have to disagree with suggestion #2.  I have some investment accounts that are really old...and were messily converted from my Quicken Windows account. They contained the ubiquitous BUYX QW transaction type and really made a complete mess of my QM setup.  There were way too many of those BUYX to fix in QW.  I mean hundreds in multiple accounts.  

Thus, I had to recreate some of those accounts from a new starting date. There is absolutely no way I could ever get the Cost Basis for those accounts, and I just had Quicken Mac use placeholders for them.  These are retirement accounts, so the basis is irrelevant anyways.  But the Cost Basis can never be calculated.

I really don't want to see a Blue Dot reside next to my accounts designating that I have placeholder transactions.  Therefore, I vote a big NO for that enhancement. 
  • RickO
    Options
    I have to disagree with suggestion #2.  I have some investment accounts that are really old...and were messily converted from my Quicken Windows account. They contained the ubiquitous BUYX QW transaction type and really made a complete mess of my QM setup.  There were way too many of those BUYX to fix in QW.  I mean hundreds in multiple accounts.  

Thus, I had to recreate some of those accounts from a new starting date. There is absolutely no way I could ever get the Cost Basis for those accounts, and I just had Quicken Mac use placeholders for them.  These are retirement accounts, so the basis is irrelevant anyways.  But the Cost Basis can never be calculated.

I really don't want to see a Blue Dot reside next to my accounts designating that I have placeholder transactions.  Therefore, I vote a big NO for that enhancement. 
    Gary, I think we have a misunderstanding of what I intended. Placeholder transactions would initially have a blue square icon when they are created. But once you have become aware of the placeholder(s), you would still be able to mark them as reviewed. The blue square would disappear as would the account-level blue dot. You would not have to continue to see the account-level blue dot for your placeholders.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have NEVER seen a blue square icon next to any placeholder transactions in Quicken Mac.  Maybe it's been so long ago (around 2016 or 2017) where these accounts were created that the entire dot/pencil idea wasn't even conceived yet.  

I see where your idea of marking them at least as "Reviewed" would resolve those blue dot issues...even if the placeholder transaction still resides in the register. 

If that were the case, I would have no objection to your recommendation.  
  • RickO
    Options
    I have NEVER seen a blue square icon next to any placeholder transactions in Quicken Mac.  
    No, there have never been transaction-level blue squares in the Status column. My suggestion is to create a new icon (blue square) rather than using a blue dot for placeholders since they are really neither downloaded nor manual transactions. The blue square would be unique to placeholders and would be cleared by marking the placeholder as reviewed. However, instead of a blue square, a blue dot would work too.
  • RickO
    Options
    @Quicken Marcus After updating to 6.5.0 and 6.5.1, I am not finding the automatic "Pre-Update" backups at Users > (userid) > Library > Application Support > Quicken > Backups > Automatic Backups. Was there anything changed in the app update process that would account for this? Am I the only one seeing this issue?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @Quicken Marcus Just adding a note to concur with the post by @garysmith87 above that the Dashboard Top Movers card now has a bug where it sorts the "Change ($)" using the unsigned value of the numbers, as shown here:

The sort should go from most positive to most negative or vice versa; it is useless to have it ignoring which values are positive and negative and sorting by the unsigned values.

The same is true for the "Change (%)" column:

This problem appears to be only in the Top Movers card; the Holdings card sorts correctly by dollars and by percentage. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993