Quicken for Mac v6.5 Released

Options

Comments

• Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @jacobs    @garysmith87

Well, perhaps the Top Movers is sorting correctly.  Top Movers implies moved the most today.  Say one has 3 accounts that were +$200 and -$100 and -$400. They would currently be listed as:

-$400
    +$200
    -$100

This would be correct because the -$400 would be the highest "Mover" even though it was a negative value because it changed the most.  The +$200 would be next because it didn't move as much as the 1st and then -$100 would be 3rd.    If you wanted the signs to be taken into account it would be:
    +$200
    -$400
    -$100

This just wouldn't look right if thinking about how far an account moved.  Now if the header wasn't called Top Mover but rather something else, then sorted taking the sign into account may be appropriate.  However, the "Holdings" group does have your way of thinking.  It sorts using the sign if you select "Change &" or "Change $".

I think "Top Movers" is working correctly.  Otherwise, you'd have a duplicate of what you can get with "Holdings".

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1994
  • Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @RickO

I think 6.5.1 was a change in the app that didn't require a change in the database so there wouldn't be a Pre-Update backup like it was going from 6.4.x to 6.5.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Rick2022 You're correct. I went back to version 6.4.5 and found Top Movers sorted the same way: 

+203.01

So it's not a new bug. But I would say it doesn't make much practical sense to sort by the unsigned value of the move rather than the signed value of the move.

Personally, I think the Top Movers card as currently implemented is a waste of space; I'd just add a second column to Holdings so it can be sorted by dollar amount and percentage. I'd much rather be able to see moves over a period of time other than one day; I don't really care about daily changes, but being able to look by month, or 6 months or YTD or 1 year or more would then make this a very helpful card.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nomenclature aside for what "Top Movers" implies...it's wrong on every single level of accounting.

No one throws numbers out there disregarding the sign likes its alphabet soup.

It's dumb sorting.

I vote for if you're going to sort by Top Movers, then sort it NUMERICALLY correctly...not ignoring the sign of the amount it moved.

Because there's a world of difference between -400 and +200...like a difference of 600.  Not 200.  

And yes, I agree that I can see the same thing in the Holdings card.  So...if that's the case, get rid of the Top Movers card altogether and replace it with something that has something useful information.  

My OCD is kicking in and it's beyond annoying to look at that card now.  LOL!

Back to the drawing board Quicken team.  
  • Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, I like the way it is because the top mover could be a move into the negative.  BUT, what about making it the Top 10 Gainers and Top 10 Losers?  That would make it more useful.  I'd recommend that they be separated within the list with a header in the list as opposed to being able to select one or the other to get the list.  Then one could scroll and see the info.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rick2022 said:
    Well, I like the way it is because the top mover could be a move into the negative.  BUT, what about making it the Top 10 Gainers and Top 10 Losers?  That would make it more useful.  I'd recommend that they be separated within the list with a header in the list as opposed to being able to select one or the other to get the list.  Then one could scroll and see the info.
    I can do that already with the Holdings card.  No need to duplicate what's already there. 
  • Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I looked at it again and see that there is a dropdown for "Gainers and Losers", "Gainers", Losers".  I missed that before.  This works for me.  But instead of the box being named "Top Movers", maybe the header should be the drop-down box titled as 1 of the 3 choices and then sorted most to least (or vice-versa) by actual value taking the + and - into account as selected by the user.

I also like @jacobs idea of having a quick look over time instead of just since yesterday.  That may make the screen very busy but it would be great to get a quick look instead of building a report(s).  

Next it would be nice to be able to print the 4 boxes as a single page or individually with whatever sorting/filtering/date range/etc selected at the top of the page.    
  • jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Perhaps I'm missing something here.  The information in the "Holdings" and "Top Movers" Boxes has always been available in the Portfolio view by selecting Day Gain/Loss and Day Gain/Loss %.  These columns are sortable in both ascending and descending directions.  I don't feel either of these Dashboard boxes add anything useful to my security analysis. 

The "Allocation by Security" and "Allocation by Asset Class" do provide me with new information, but I would rather have seen them included as selectable columns in the portfolio window.  
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SRC1954 said:
    @Quicken Marcus. I am cautiously optimistic that 6.5.1 solved the date change problem with downloaded matched transactions. For the first time in several weeks, my download didn't change the transaction date for Quicken connect First US Bank. I have more transactions clearing today so I should know definitively tomorrow. But the Sync Error box that started popping up with 6.5 is still there although I am pretty sure everything is synching anyhow.
    SRC1954, there is nothing we changed in Quicken Mac. The fact that you mentioned that this also occurred in Simplifi led me to file a ticket against the Quicken Cloud team and it looks like they now default the setting to OFF. I guess they were defaulting to ON which caused this issue. We'll need to add code to Quicken Mac to explicitly set this preference in the future.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention so we could fix the issue.
  • Shing
    Shing Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Nomenclature aside for what "Top Movers" implies...it's wrong on every single level of accounting.

No one throws numbers out there disregarding the sign likes its alphabet soup.

It's dumb sorting.

I vote for if you're going to sort by Top Movers, then sort it NUMERICALLY correctly...not ignoring the sign of the amount it moved.

Because there's a world of difference between -400 and +200...like a difference of 600.  Not 200.  

And yes, I agree that I can see the same thing in the Holdings card.  So...if that's the case, get rid of the Top Movers card altogether and replace it with something that has something useful information.  

My OCD is kicking in and it's beyond annoying to look at that card now.  LOL!

Back to the drawing board Quicken team.  
    For comparison purposes, this is what I see on my dashboard when I log in to my Fidelity Investments account. To me this makes more sense. 

• Quicken Marcus
    Options
    Here's a good one.  The new DASHBOARD view for Top Movers...Gainers and Losers...By Value.

Doesn't matter whether the security is a positive or negative number.  It ignores the sign completely with the sort.

This is dumb.  Like...really dumb.  The sort order should be smallest to largest or largest to smallest...AND take into effect whether it's a gain or loss.  
    This didn't change. This is working exactly as it did before in 6.3. I think it's correct to use the absolute value to figure out what are the top movers or gainers but I personally don't like the way it's sorted. We'll change this but just didn't have time in the 6.5-time frame.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @shing...

Not sure what version you're looking at, but we're discussing Quicken MAC 6.5.1 now.  

Your screenshot looks like it might be from a Windows product...because the Mac version doesn't have the "Take a closer look at your positions".  

@Quicken Marcus

Appreciate the feedback.  Personally, as we've discussed...the Top Movers info is already available in the Holdings card... and available to view in the Portfolio view.  So why not scrap the Top 10 Movers altogether and come up with an entirely different card that actually has something new and informative we all could use?
  • Quicken Marcus
    Options
    RickO said:
    We just shipped v6.5.1 which has fixes for the orange pencil triggering the blue dot as an unreviewed transaction ... let me know in this forum if it's working better or closer to how you think it should work.
    The blue dot function is now working as expected...with a couple of comments:
    1. I see that non-connected accounts still show the blue dot when there are orange pencil transactions in the register. I think this is a good thing, but perhaps the account-level symbol could be an orange pencil for non-connected accounts to be more in keeping with what is seen inside the register.
    2. In checking on some investment accounts, I noticed that Placeholder transactions are marked with an orange pencil, even though they are not manually entered. As such, they correctly do not trigger the account-level blue dot. However, I feel like it would be good if these were flagged at the account level since we often hear from users who are unaware they exist. After all, they appear at the often unseen beginning of the register and fall into a strange bin: not really downloaded but also not manually entered. I suggest changing the Status column icon for Placeholder transactions to something different, e.g. a blue square. Then they would usefully trigger the account-level blue dot when present and not reviewed.
    I realize #2 above is outside the scope of the account-level blue dot functionality and would also require some changes to documentation (https://tinyurl.com/2p85cxw9). But I hope it's something that will be considered for a future update.

On #1, I think I would prefer that we change the icon to a flag instead of an orange pencil since the user is setting this to be flagged.  We should probably also support being able to flag a transaction in connected accounts too. I know our test manager would like to also be able to set a flag priority like having a red flag for high priority and another colored flag for lower priority. Anyway, I think there's a bunch of stuff we can do to improve this. It's just not a high priority yet.

On #2, we also had a number of discussions regarding those pesky placeholders and how to improve them or more importantly how to minimize their potential to cause problems. I have nothing to announce yet but just wanted to let you know we realize they aren't working as well as we would like and we are always thinking about how we can make them better.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Options
    RickO said:
    @Quicken Marcus After updating to 6.5.0 and 6.5.1, I am not finding the automatic "Pre-Update" backups at Users > (userid) > Library > Application Support > Quicken > Backups > Automatic Backups. Was there anything changed in the app update process that would account for this? Am I the only one seeing this issue?
    RIckO, I don't think we made any changes around backups. I personally see a Pre-Update backup for when I upgraded to 6.5. I don't see one for 6.5.1 but I personally had trouble upgrading to 6.5.1. For some reason, it would look like it was upgrading but then I would still only be at 6.5.0 and I would get the upgrade notice again. I had to quit the app and then start again to finally be able to upgrade to 6.5.1. I'm guessing this might be the reason I didn't get a pre-update background for 6.5.1 but not sure.  I did however get a bunch of auto backups for every time it looks like I tried to back up. Anyone else seeing this issue?
  • Shing
    Shing Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @shing...

Not sure what version you're looking at, but we're discussing Quicken MAC 6.5.1 now.  

Your screenshot looks like it might be from a Windows product...because the Mac version doesn't have the "Take a closer look at your positions".  

@Quicken Marcus

Appreciate the feedback.  Personally, as we've discussed...the Top Movers info is already available in the Holdings card... and available to view in the Portfolio view.  So why not scrap the Top 10 Movers altogether and come up with an entirely different card that actually has something new and informative we all could use?
    This was from the Fidelity Investments website, not Quicken. Wanted to show how an investment company shows top gainers and losers. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    Options
    larc2 said:
    > @larc2 said:
    > December 28 received 2 updates of v6.5.1 (605.42634.100) and later (605.42638.100)

What about the alignment issues with the reports mentioned above?
    FYI copied from original poster above
    Now for the bug in reports that I have seen since 6.4 (it may have occurred earlier, but that was the first time I saw it, and maybe everyone knows about this and I am just behind, but here goes):

In a summary report over long periods of time, if you scroll the dates (years in this case) across the screen to see previous years, then scroll back to the more recent years, the column headers (year) and the resultant totals become misaligned (see images below, the first image is when you first open the report and columns are aligned, the second shows the misalignment).  If you click on a subtotal under a specific year, you actually get a detailed breakdown of a different year than you are expecting.  I know I am not explaining this very clearly, I am happy to discuss more fully if anyone is confused.  Can anyone else re-create this behavior?
    Thanks for bringing this up again. I'm able to reproduce this issue in my personal data so we should be able to fix this. It's not fixed in 6.5.1.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Options

@Quicken Marcus

I think there's still value to seeing a small list of movers and gainers especially for those of us that have lots of securities.  I think I have over 50 securities at any one time with lots of option contracts as well. The way this is going to work is that it's going to highlight the top movers and losers by absolute value but the sort order will be based on biggest gain to biggest loss. If there are lots of red items then you know it's a down day and you might be able to discern the reason why by seeing which ones are down. Of course, you might be able to pick that up in holdings but if you have a lot of holdings you would have to scroll to see that. This is why we're using the absolute value vs simply showing the top 5 gainers and top 5 losers. If we did that then you wouldn't get a sense of the direction one's account took today and the narrative behind the move. If I see my account went up today I can look to this list and potentially see why. For me, if tech goes up, then my account goes up because of how many tech stocks I own. I may also be able to see that today was a tech sell-off if all the down stocks are tech stocks. I may not notice that if I'm looking at holdings.  Anyway, I think a lot of us find this little card useful even in its current sort order. I just think it would be more useful in the order I describe.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    On #1, I think I would prefer that we change the icon to a flag instead of an orange pencil since the user is setting this to be flagged.  We should probably also support being able to flag a transaction in connected accounts too. I know our test manager would like to also be able to set a flag priority like having a red flag for high priority and another colored flag for lower priority. Anyway, I think there's a bunch of stuff we can do to improve this. It's just not a high priority yet.

On #2, we also had a number of discussions regarding those pesky placeholders and how to improve them or more importantly how to minimize their potential to cause problems. I have nothing to announce yet but just wanted to let you know we realize they aren't working as well as we would like and we are always thinking about how we can make them better.
    On #1: I like the idea of flags. But we need to be careful about terminology. Currently, in unconnected accounts, the popup menu says "Flag for Review". So "flag" and "review" are getting conflated. My take: Flag should say flag and review should say review (as in Mark for Review), and never the twain shall meet.

On #2: thanks!
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • GlennH
    GlennH Unconfirmed, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

The introduction of the sidebar “auto-reconcile indication” has degraded my daily review of downloaded transactions.

The problem boils down to a conflict between the Auto-reconcile indicator and the Unreviewed-Transactions indicator (Blue Dot). The auto-reconcile indicator hides the Blue Dot indicator when Auto-Reconcile is enabled for an account.

My settings include:

- Sidebar Activity Option > Highlight Accounts with New Transactions

- Automatically reconcile my cleared downloaded transactions > Ask me to review a reconciliation before saving it

There should be a way to give precedence to the Blue Dots. 

Suggestions:

a) Don’t display an auto-reconcile indicator dot on accounts where the balances match. I. e., eliminate the Green Dots.

I am not sure why anyone would need the Green (balances match) auto-reconcile indicator. I think most people would assume the balances match unless the Orange (out-of-balance) indicator appears in the sidebar. 

b) A setting to choose to not display an auto-reconcile indicator dot on accounts where the balances match. Make the Green Dots optional.

====================

Here is a screenshot illustrating the change in the Quicken sidebar with new V6.5 (on the left) versus old V6.4 (right): 

- The new sidebar in v6.5 (left) shows no Blue Dots. I cannot tell if any transactions downloaded. In order to review transactions (if any), I must inspect 17 separate accounts (13 visible in the screenshot) having a Green dot to see if any of them have transactions needing review.

- The old sidebar in v6.4 (right) is clean, with Blue Dots indicating 5 accounts with unreviewed transactions. I can hover over those 5 account names to see how many unreviewed transactions are present, and click on the name to begin the review process.

macOS Monterey 12.6.7 on MacBook Pro M1 13" 2020

• nothingclever
    Options
    @Quicken Marcus "

Wanted to add another data point for the reports feature. When adjusting the far left column, and expanding the collapsable rows, you'll see how the columns would get mis-aligned.

For me reporting feature is one of the main reason I use quicken (and assuming for lots of customers), so hoping that this could be addressed in the next update.

Attached dummy example.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Options
    GlennH said:

The introduction of the sidebar “auto-reconcile indication” has degraded my daily review of downloaded transactions.

The problem boils down to a conflict between the Auto-reconcile indicator and the Unreviewed-Transactions indicator (Blue Dot). The auto-reconcile indicator hides the Blue Dot indicator when Auto-Reconcile is enabled for an account.

Hi Glenn, Thanks for adding your input on the new auto-reconcile indicators. Sometimes you add one thing for one group of customers and it could impact others. Also, sometimes it takes time to work through a new workflow.

I'm hoping this might be the case where it takes time to work through a new workflow. Theoretically, if there is an auto-reconcile icon, you definitely have new transactions. You should NOT get any auto-reconcile indicator if there aren't new transactions. Now, I know there's a case where some customers are seeing the auto-reconcile icon even if no transactions are updated. This would be a bug. The auto-reconcile and blue dot for new transactions basically mean the same thing. After you click on the account the auto-reconcile icon disappears and now reflects the unreviewed status of an account so the auto-reconcile icons are temporary.  Are you running into the bug where you're seeing the auto-reconcile notifications even in accounts that aren't changing? If you can rely on the auto-reconcile notification to always mean there are new transactions to review, does the workflow make more sense? 
  • Quicken Marcus
    Options
    @Quicken Marcus "

Wanted to add another data point for the reports feature. When adjusting the far left column, and expanding the collapsable rows, you'll see how the columns would get mis-aligned.

For me reporting feature is one of the main reason I use quicken (and assuming for lots of customers), so hoping that this could be addressed in the next update.

Attached dummy example.
    Thanks for reemphasizing this bug. Yeah, that's pretty bad. I'm able to reproduce the issue on macOS Monterey.  Since we haven't changed anything related to reports in a while, I'm guessing this might be caused by a change in macOS. We'll investigate. 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Quicken Marcus A bunch of Monterey users have reported the column alignment problem in columnar reports like the one above. It seems to be specific to Monterey; I don't see it on my lowly Mojave Macs, and I haven't seen any reports of this from Catalina or Big Sur users — only Monterey users. 

You can see user reports of this here, here and here — all are Monterey users. This should be documented in bug report CTP-2924.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @jacobs   @Quicken Marcus

FWIW, I do not see the columnar issue on MacOS Catalina.

• GlennH
    GlennH Unconfirmed, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2021
    Options

Theoretically, if there is an auto-reconcile icon, you definitely have new transactions. You should NOT get any auto-reconcile indicator if there aren't new transactions. Now, I know there's a case where some customers are seeing the auto-reconcile icon even if no transactions are updated. This would be a bug. The auto-reconcile and blue dot for new transactions basically mean the same thing. After you click on the account the auto-reconcile icon disappears and now reflects the unreviewed status of an account so the auto-reconcile icons are temporary.  Are you running into the bug where you're seeing the auto-reconcile notifications even in accounts that aren't changing? 
    I have been seeing auto-reconcile green dots on all accounts for which auto-reconcile is enabled, even when there are no new transactions. I have been ignoring the green dots on accounts with no new transactions, not even opening the register, so they have persisted from download to download. So this may just be operator error.

As a test of my new understanding, I just now cleared all the green dots by opening all 17 registers, and then ran an Update All Online Accounts download. The result was as follows:
      1 orange dot (1 new transaction. Valid reconcile failure as bank reduced balance for a separate pending transaction)
      2 green dots (new transactions downloaded - Quicken Connect)
      2 green dots (no new transactions - Direct Connect - Credit card accounts at Chase and Citi) - BUG ???
      The remaining 12 accounts with auto-reconcile enabled had no dot in the sidebar.
      0 blue dots

I am (still) seeing auto-reconcile notifications in accounts that aren't changing. But nowhere near as many as I started with.

--- Update on Dec 31st, 9 AM

I ran another Update All Online Accounts, on my usual morning schedule. The auto-reconcile indicators (green and orange dots in sidebar) are back for all auto-reconcile accounts - all 17 of them, including 12 for accounts with no new transactions. @Quicken Marcus
    If you can rely on the auto-reconcile notification to always mean there are new transactions to review, does the workflow make more sense? 
    Yes. My fixation in my original post on blue dots now seems misplaced. An auto-reconcile notification dot would work as well in my workflow.

macOS Monterey 12.6.7 on MacBook Pro M1 13" 2020

• Boog
    Boog Member ✭✭
    Options
    I've noticed a significant slowdown in Quicken since updating to 6.5.1 on my Mac. Prior to this update, adding new transactions were very nearly instantaneous. Now I'm seeing a few seconds delay after clicking to enter each new transaction or to review a transaction. When changing from one account to another, there is a similar several seconds delay. I really like especially the asset allocation feature in this update, but the hit in responsiveness is so annoying that I wish I could go back to the previous version. Any suggestions to speed things back up?
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Boog said:
    I've noticed a significant slowdown in Quicken since updating to 6.5.1 on my Mac. Prior to this update, adding new transactions were very nearly instantaneous. Now I'm seeing a few seconds delay after clicking to enter each new transaction or to review a transaction. When changing from one account to another, there is a similar several seconds delay. I really like especially the asset allocation feature in this update, but the hit in responsiveness is so annoying that I wish I could go back to the previous version. Any suggestions to speed things back up?
    Check to see if you have any reports that are open lurking in the background underneath your main Quicken Mac window.  Minimize your main window...then see if there are any reports left open.  Close those.

Quicken Mac does NOT close reports upon exiting.  In the past I've had issues where I forgot to close a report before exiting and noticed the same slowdown in performance.  As soon as I closed the wayward reports, the performance returned to normal.

I have Quicken Mac 6.5.1 on an slightly older MacBook Pro (Intel based) and I have no performance issues.  
  • Mike Q
    Mike Q Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @"Quicken Marcus" said:
    > Like I said before, this is a bug. It should not trigger a blue dot. It's fixed and just needs to be tested.  We'll probably roll it out on Monday. 

If you're referring to 6.5.1, that did not fix the blue dot problem.

I only want the blue dot on the sidebar if I have a blue dot on one or more transactions in the register. That would be extremely helpful.

Besides the blue/orange pencil, there are other icons associated will bill pay, which also trigger the blue dot. Yes, I can mark them reviewed and I'll get the blue dot on the sidebar to go away, but I don't really want the bill pay envelope icons go to away; they're very helpful.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    It's working as designed now. Blue dot in the sidebar whenever there's any kind of blue icon in the Status column. This means you've downloaded (matched, unmatched, bill pay) transactions that have not been reviewed. The white and orange envelop icons don't trigger the sidebar dot. Personally, this is exactly how I like it to behave. In other words, something came in on a download that needs my attention. Something that I entered (orange/white) doesn't need my attention.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Micro
    Micro Member
    Options
    Hello I have my "cash" account set to manually update with a download. My issue since updating Version 6.5.1 (Build 605.42638.100) is "cash" accounts will not update. I have tried a new file and they work. No account number changes have occurred in the accounts. "Credit Card" accounts all work fine. As I noted it works fine in new file, I opened qfx file in notes and see proper account number which matches account settings tab. I have tried rename (finder) and restore with no change. Thoughts? Thank you