Quicken worked fine in Windows 10, not true on Same laptop with Windows 11

Options
teaguew
teaguew Member
I got a new Dell Inspiron a few months ago. Worked like a champ for all apps including subscription Quicken.

Upgraded to Windows 11, thought Quicken wasn't loading, but now I think it is. The Quicken icon shows up in the tray. When I hover over it, the thumbnail appears with the Quicken frame, but the screen is blank. I cannot get the frame to open on the desktop.

When I close it, it prompts me to sync to Cloud, and often when I open it, it prompts for a software update, and succeeds.

So could it be a graphics or screen driver? Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Options
    It sounds like Quicken is opening up on a display that is no longer there.
    See if this works on Windows 11.  Hover over the Quicken icon in the task bar, and right click.  You should get a menu with Move on it, click that and then hit any of your arrow keys.  Now you should be able to move your mouse around until it shows up on your display.

EDIT once it is on your display you can click your mouse to release it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you haven't already, I suggest you hover the mouse cursor over the Quicken icon in the task bar until the mini-view window appears, right-click in the mini-view window and select Restore or Maximize.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just confirming that Quicken will run on a Win11 Dell Inspiron 15 3501 that was upgraded from 10 to 11. 

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• teaguew
    teaguew Member
    Options
    - Splasher - yes.

- Chris_QPW - that was it. That didn't occur to me since the thumbnail was blank.
  • teaguew
    teaguew Member
    Options
    Chris_QPW - Thanks!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    teaguew said:
    - Splasher - yes.

- Chris_QPW - that was it. That didn't occur to me since the thumbnail was blank.
    I believe that Windows 11 removed the feature that allows you to see an image of what the application looks like.  Windows 11 might have a fancy new GUI, but it removed a lot of nice features/customization that Windows 10 has.
    Signature:
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Chris_QPW, if you hold the cursor over the minimized icon in the taskbar, you see a thumbnail of the running program and a normal view if you move the cursor to the thumbnail. I believe the behavior is the same as Windows 10.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    teaguew said:
    - Splasher - yes.

I believe that Windows 11 removed the feature that allows you to see an image of what the application looks like.  Windows 11 might have a fancy new GUI, but it removed a lot of nice features/customization that Windows 10 has.

Win11 still shows the current state of the running program, at least on a laptop without a 2nd/external monitor.  I don't have an easy way to test the 2nd/external monitor setup.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the update.  I just remembered reading this.  Windows 11 is definitely going through a "catch up" process of returning existing Windows 10 features.  For instance, when it was first released the Start menu had 1/2 it taken up by (I think) the Suggestions/Recently Used, and you couldn't get rid of it or resize it.  I read that at least in the Insider releases that is starting to change.
    Signature:
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I actually like the Windows 11 Start Menu better than Windows 10. I just moved it back to the left and pinned the apps I always use to the menu.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I actually like the Windows 11 Start Menu better than Windows 10. I just moved it back to the left and pinned the apps I always use to the menu.
    I actually tried it shortly after it was released, and but in the 10 days that they give you I backed it out mostly because of the fact that I couldn't get rid of that large unused section.  And I didn't really find anything in Windows 11 over Windows 10 that was "compelling" to go to it.  I will certainly go to it in time, but at present I'm just waiting for them to "fill it out" more.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.