In Portfolio View, why does the P/E Ratio does not download with the other data like price?s.

vitreous
vitreous Member ✭✭
edited January 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I cannot download P/E ratio for my stocks when using Portfolio View.

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Yep.  Looking at the default "Fundamentals" portfolio view, Name + 11 columns of downloaded info. 

If the Security Type = Stock, all 11 columns are (potentially) filled in.
    Change the Type to something else, 9 columns are filled in, but P/E and ROE go blank. 
    Even if you change it to "Bond" where Dividend, Industry P/E etc make no sense, the data still gets presented (excepting P/E and ROE).

Makes no sense.

(Note - for some securities, it may be that all 11 fields are not populated with data from the download.  That is a completely different issue.)

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Hi @vitreous,

Can you please explain exactly why you believe you can't obtain P/E ratios for your holdings in portfolio view?  Do you have the column setup in your portfolio view?  Did this problem just start or have you never been able to see this data?  When you update, does any data appear in that column?  More information will be needed for us to figure out what the problem might be?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• vitreous
    vitreous Member ✭✭
    Hi Frank,

The P/E column is set up but has never functioned. Update does not put any data in the column. but fill other columns such as price.

vitreous
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    What securities aren't updating?
    The P/E columns aren't updated for "funds".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I can see, the P/E ratio and other fundamentals download for some stocks but not others. Can you provide a list of stocks where you are seeing problems?

This data comes from Quicken's 3rd party quote provider and we have had problems getting them to address data issues in the past. Your best bet might be to provide Quicken Support with a list of problem stocks and see if they can get this fixed.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • vitreous
    vitreous Member ✭✭
    Thank you, Jim.

I download a large number of stocks and none of them have ever had P/E downloaded.
  • Jim_Harman
    That is odd. This is for actual US stocks, not funds or ETFs, right?

For me, GE and KO download the fundamentals OK. 

If you don't have any shares of a stock, it must be on the Watch List for any quote data to download.
  • vitreous
    vitreous Member ✭✭
    Hi Jm,

I own the stocks that do not download the P/E Ratio. These are not mutual funds or ETF's. The dividend yield and stock industry/category do download but not the P/E Ratio.
  • Jim_Harman
    Some stocks do download the P/E ratios. If you provide the tickers for some of the stocks that do not, we can try them and see if we get the same result.

Or you can try the examples I gave, KO and GE. Put them in your Watch List. Do they download correctly for you?
  • vitreous
    vitreous Member ✭✭
    I have owned and followed GE and KO for years in Portfolio View. Neither was on my Watch List. I then added KO to my Watch List and downloaded again. All stocks had no P/E Ratio including KO. I did alter Security Types many years ago. Can this be playing a role?
  • Jim_Harman
    Do your stocks have a Security type of something other than Stock?

I changed to Security Type of KO to Other and sure enough, the P/E ratio is no longer displayed on the Investing > Portfolio views. Changing it back to Stock re-enables the display.

The quote download does not care what the security type is, if you set it to Other and refresh the quotes, the P/E ratio is still shown on the Security Detail view. 

So I guess the answer is that if you want to see the P/E Ratio on the Portfolio views, the security type must be set to Stock.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You say that you altered the Security Types ... to WHAT?  Because only securities listed as STOCK will show PE ratios.  And "Domestic Stock" or "International Stock" aren't "STOCK", at least not in Q's mind.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• vitreous
    vitreous Member ✭✭
    I believe you have found the answer. Many years ago, (before Quicken had any relation to Morningstar) I altered my security types to mimic Morningstar's categories. However, it is strange that Quicken will give me stock Dividend and Industry/Category but not P/E Ratio.
  • Jim_Harman
    I agree it seems weird. For other security types, the P/E downloads as N/A; maybe they did not want to display that.
  • vitreous
    vitreous Member ✭✭
    Also, strange that the P/E ratio appears in Security Detail View but will not fill in columns in Portfolio View.
  • Jim_Harman
    It seems that Quicken is purposely blanking out the P/E display unless the security Type is Stock. 

A better way of identifying different types of securities is with the Asset Class, which now allows user defined classes, or with the Investing Goal field. There are issues with the user defined asset classes which may or may not be important to you.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    vitreous said:
    I believe you have found the answer. Many years ago, (before Quicken had any relation to Morningstar) I altered my security types to mimic Morningstar's categories. However, it is strange that Quicken will give me stock Dividend and Industry/Category but not P/E Ratio.
    I did the same thing, also years ago.  In particular, I created Types for US Equities and Int'l Equities wanting a level of distinction to determine global investment exposure.  The downloaded Asset Class distinction was not satisfactory for me at the time.  Probably still isn't today.  I second your "it is strange" observation as well.  

Now I will also add, P/E data through Quicken has also not been on my radar for many years.  So I don't know if this is new behavior or not.   
  • vitreous
    vitreous Member ✭✭
    Strangest is P/E Ratio will not download to a Portfolio View column. But if I click each stock and look at Security Detail View, the P/E Ratio is there. This means I can only see the P/E ratio of one stock at a time.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Yep.  Looking at the default "Fundamentals" portfolio view, Name + 11 columns of downloaded info. 

If the Security Type = Stock, all 11 columns are (potentially) filled in.
    Change the Type to something else, 9 columns are filled in, but P/E and ROE go blank. 
    Even if you change it to "Bond" where Dividend, Industry P/E etc make no sense, the data still gets presented (excepting P/E and ROE).

Makes no sense.

(Note - for some securities, it may be that all 11 fields are not populated with data from the download.  That is a completely different issue.)
This discussion has been closed.