Quicken on the Web vs. Quicken Desktop

Options
John Crick
John Crick Member ✭✭
edited February 2022 in Using Quicken on the Web
Today I encountered another data issue with Quicken Desktop (all paychecks no longer show the itemized detail, several duplicate entries were added, some transfers were messed up). All of this happened following a sync. This is the 3rd or 4th such occurrence in the past 3 years. Fortunately, I back up my data every few days so I don't lose to much info. But it is frustrating.

That being the case, can I just use Quicken on the Web and forgo Quicken Desktop? I don't have anything complex: just general banking, credit card, and investment accounts. And reporting needs are limited.

Interested in getting this group's feedback.

(I have used Quicken over 20 years. Love it but do find these data issues to be quite a nuisance. To the credit of the Quicken team, it happens very infrequently. But when it does, it can cause major headaches.)

Thank you!

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To avoid data issues I recommend using Quicken Desktop and not Quicken on the Web. Disable the web sync.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • John Crick
    John Crick Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi, Jim. Thank you for the tip. We use the mobile app as well as the web version to enter transactions to download into the desktop instance. If we turn off web sync, we can’t use those tools to correct?

Is it possible to save the file to One Drive to so two users can access the data (not simultaneously)?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @John Crick,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your questions.
    We use the mobile app as well as the web version to enter transactions to download into the desktop instance. If we turn off web sync, we can’t use those tools to correct?
    Yes, turning off Cloud Sync will disable the ability to use the Quicken Mobile & Web companion apps.
    Is it possible to save the file to One Drive to so two users can access the data (not simultaneously)?
    Though it is possible to store your data file on external and cloud-based drives/locations such as OneDrive, we do strongly advise against it as it can cause irreversible data damage and/or file corruption. 

Please, refer to this support article for more information. Although the article does reference DropBox specifically, the content of the article does apply to all cloud-based services. 

I hope this helps! 

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• John Crick
    John Crick Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi, Anna! Thank you for the follow up. I’ll check the article.

I had a support chat this morning big with Quicken. They had me run through a file validation process followed by a sync. Upon doing so the transactions I previously corrected reverted back to their incorrect state. He advised that I correct them again, which would then resolve the data corruption issue entirely. And I could continue to use the web and mobile apps as those would then be working with the fixed validated file.

Any reason to think this won’t work?

John
This discussion has been closed.