How do I create a new set of files using a 2nd Quicken ID?

ELP907
ELP907 Member
I recently purchased a 2nd quicken ID for my mother. I did this deliberately because I'll be helping her to maintain her accounts but I do not want her accessing my personal banking files. However, I have found no guidance for how to do so. I've seen posts that assure users that it can be done. There's also a post that specifies how to log out so you can log in as a separate quicken ID, but when I did so I just found my own files. I need this to be truly separate. How do I do this?

ps. I deliberately want separation, please don't advise me to simply set up a 2nd data file on my quicken ID.

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I might add that I got a surprise when I did a bit of a testing on this.
    I expected that there was the concept of "the current/machine Quicken Id" and a "Quicken Id per data file".

As in, if I switched to a different data file that was last open with a different Quicken Id than the last one the machine used it would prompt to "log in or switch".  It didn't do that; it immediately switched the data file to the Quicken Id was last using.

I know at one point this was true, it would prompt.  I have to assume that somewhere along the lines they decided to change it to immediately switch what Quicken Id the data file is using.

As such, I think @splasher's method is the only way on the same machine that you can keep them isolated.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sign in using your Mother's Quicken ID and create a new Quicken data file. File --> New Quicken file...
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think what is confusing the issue is that the Quicken installed on your computer has some global information that is seen by any Quicken Id used on that computer.  One of those things is the recent file list on the File menu.
    So, as suggested by Greg_the_Geek, after logging in with your mother's Quicken Id (QID), you just need to create the new file for mom and then work with it. 
    Both the Quicken program and data file are "registered" to the QID.
    Personally, I would create a dummy Quicken file with nothing in it to use as a buffer between the two QIDs. 
    So, my process would be like this.
    1. Open and use your data file with my QID.
    2. When done, open the dummy file, login using Mom's QID.
    3. Open Mom's data file and do what needs to be done.
    4. When done, open the dummy file, login using your QID.
    The point is to do the changing of the QID associated with the registration of the installed program using the dummy file and therefore always having the QID registered in the installed program the same as the QID associated in the data file to be the same when you open a data file.
    Using this process, if you are using QMobile/QWeb, the Quicken Cloud Account won't get rebuilt for the real data files (yours and mom) when changing the logged in QID since you will always be starting Quicken the QIDS that match between the program and data file.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• ELP907
    ELP907 Member
    I think I see what you mean, but when I log out (edit -> preferences -> Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts -> sign in as a different user, yes) then create a new data file then create mom's data file, it still permits me to move freely between each file; mom's and mine. Is there any way to completely log out of an account and log into a clean copy of Quicken that doesn't automatically allow me to access the previous data files? They must not do this with QuickBooks or they'd be sued left and right.
  • ELP907
    ELP907 Member
    Perhaps there's another way to log out of my quicken ID that doesn't involve shifting which ID has access to that data file?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    One way to have privacy between Quicken files is to create a separate password for each of them. If they also have separate Quicken IDs, that will keep some external features like the credit score that are linked to the ID separate. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    One way to have privacy between Quicken files is to create a separate password for each of them. If they also have separate Quicken IDs, that will keep some external features like the credit score that are linked to the ID separate. 
    A password on the data file protects the local file, but not the "cloud dataset".  If one is using sync to mobile/web in the data files, then both data files will be visible in either the mobile or web app.
    Signature:
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ELP907 said:
    I think I see what you mean, but when I log out (edit -> preferences -> Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts -> sign in as a different user, yes) then create a new data file then create mom's data file, it still permits me to move freely between each file; mom's and mine. Is there any way to completely log out of an account and log into a clean copy of Quicken that doesn't automatically allow me to access the previous data files? They must not do this with QuickBooks or they'd be sued left and right.
    There is nothing that will keep quicken from trying to open the incorrrect file for a QID.  It will open it but trying to use online features like One Step Update, Credit Score, Zillow and QMobile/QWeb will fail.
    It remains up to the user to make sure they are using the correct date file with the correct QID and that is why I recommend using the dummy file when switching QIDs.
    Your other option is to either buy a second computer or use virtual machine software (like VirtualBox) to have your computer think it is a completely separate installation of Windows and have Quicken installed in it.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I might add that I got a surprise when I did a bit of a testing on this.
    I expected that there was the concept of "the current/machine Quicken Id" and a "Quicken Id per data file".

As in, if I switched to a different data file that was last open with a different Quicken Id than the last one the machine used it would prompt to "log in or switch".  It didn't do that; it immediately switched the data file to the Quicken Id was last using.

I know at one point this was true, it would prompt.  I have to assume that somewhere along the lines they decided to change it to immediately switch what Quicken Id the data file is using.

As such, I think @splasher's method is the only way on the same machine that you can keep them isolated.
    Signature:
  • ELP907
    ELP907 Member
    Thank you all for your responses. That helps a lot. I'm disappointed in Quicken but now I have much better idea how to proceed. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.