Multple Tag Report

Options
LindaMaria
LindaMaria Member
edited March 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I'm trying to make a report with multiple tag options because I don't remember if I put a certain tag with everything that I want brought up. Now, in my case, when I put a choice of three tags, what it seems to do (because it comes up with no result) is that it's looking for items tagged with ALL three tag options rather that ANY one of the tag options. I would like a report that will search out each tag individually but have the three choices to choose from. It doesn't matter how the report comes out, just that I want the results to come back with tag 'A' OR tag 'B' OR tag 'C' all on one report. Thoughts?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When you select the tags in the customizing of a report that is OR, not AND.

Which report are you using?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • LindaMaria
    Options
    To Chris -- Itemized categories.....and where is there a choice for multiple tags for OR instead of AND?? There is just one tag box and several can be added, but the result is AND rather than OR.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Chris_QPW is correct. Checking multiple tags in the list will show you transactions with any of those tags, i.e., OR. In the Itemized Categories report I checked the tags for each of my Subarus and they both appear.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @LindaMaria I'm not sure how you are coming to the conclusion but given that it can only be one or the other (no setting to change it), OR is really the only possibility.

Every report that includes selecting of tags are going to have this as the default:

Which if you select the second option it expands and shows you what that means:

Every tag is selected.  So, if it was AND, you wouldn't get any transactions by default.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tags are not well managed by Quicken.  You can add any Tag to any Category or omit a Tag that should be attache to a Category or another Tag.  There's no "programmatic" control, they are completely ad hoc, and you'll find that Tags are frequently attached to Categories that simply should not have any Tags due to how Memorized Payees work.
    I think the best you can do in your situation is run reports by Category and then sort by Tags.  That allows you to at least scan through the list, looking for Tags that should be there but aren't, or Tags that shouldn't be there, but are.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Tom Young said:
    Tags are not well managed by Quicken.  You can add any Tag to any Category or omit a Tag that should be attache to a Category or another Tag.  There's no "programmatic" control, they are completely ad hoc, and you'll find that Tags are frequently attached to Categories that simply should not have any Tags due to how Memorized Payees work.
    I don't understand this comment. Tags are not "added" or "attached" to Categories. Tags are orthogonal to Categories and can be added to Transactions. I don't understand "not well managed by Quicken" and I also don't understand the reference to Memorized Payees. I think Tags work exactly as intended.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Judyrb
    Judyrb Member ✭✭
    Options
    I too wish we could have better options. One thing I do for reporting is to specify Bud.. This means any tag that begins with "Bud" and don't care what is next. For memo contains I can use ~vaca.. meaning not vaca and anything else, like "vacation" so I get a report with any category and tag but without "vacation" in the memo field. I would like to use those operators with tags.

I can add a comment to Memorized payees. I think Quicken changed this in June 2021. I have had two levels of tags since 1990, similar to categories: category:subcategory tag:subtag. I may have a gifts category that might be paid for by A, but it is for B. So Gifts is category and A:B is tag. Memorized payees are gone through by Quicken and now shows Gifts category and A as tag only. I have gone to many lengths to circumvent this and feel philosophically that if the payee is Memorized, Quicken should not change the payee/category/tag.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly what your issue is with Memorized Payees, but have you tried the Lock option? That should prevent the other data from changing. Or, if you are entering the transactions manually, you would un-check the Lock option so you can specify the Tags.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.