Trouble adding tax item

Options
Emre E
Emre E Member
:/ I am having trouble adding a tax item to my paycheck. 'Add Earning', 'Add Pre-Tax Deduction' and all the other dropdown menus work except the 'Add Tax Item' menu. I have release R38.30.
Any suggestions? Thanks

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Emre E said:
    :/ I am having trouble adding a tax item to my paycheck. 'Add Earning', 'Add Pre-Tax Deduction' and all the other dropdown menus work except the 'Add Tax Item' menu. I have release R38.30.
    Any suggestions? Thanks
    Hello @Emre E,      

I apologize for the difficulties caused by this issue adding tax items to transactions. Thank you for choosing to ask about this here on the Quicken Community.

What are you seeing when you try to make use of the options in the dropdown menu? Are certain items 'greyed out'? Typically, one would be able to add Tax Line Items by following these steps:
    1. Choose Tools menu > Category List.
    2. If the Tax Line Item fields are not visible on the right, check the Tax Line Item box from the gear icon drop-down menu.
    3. Right-click the category to which you want to assign a tax line item and choose Edit.
    4. In the Tax Reporting tab, the Tax Line Item for this category drop-down menu allows you to select the tax form or tax line item that you want associated with this category. If the tax form you are looking for does not appear in the list, or if you know that it is a less commonly used form, select Extended line item list, and then look again.
    5. Check the Tax related category box. 
    6. When you're done assigning tax forms to categories, click Save.
    I hope to hear more from you regarding this issue, and I intend to continue working with you here in this discussion.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Following are the tax deduction lines I show currently being available in Paycheck Wizard/Paycheck Reminders:
    It's pretty obvious that there are quite a few people who are saying they need to be able to add more tax deduction lines here but I'm curious about the reason(s) for that.  I'm not being critical...just trying to understand.
    Also, as a workaround until Quicken gets this fixed, would not entering the additional tax deduction as an Other Pre-Tax Deduction be a viable option?  I did a limited test of this and it seemed to work properly in the Paycheck Wizard/Reminder, in the Tax Reports and Tax Planner.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• JMedway
    JMedway Member ✭✭
    Options
    Both my city and my county decided to add a local income tax, so I need two more line items under Tax Items.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Options
    JMedway said:
    Both my city and my county decided to add a local income tax, so I need two more line items under Tax Items.
    Thanks for the explanation.  And I'm sorry to hear that you have 2 new taxes to deal with.
    I think the work-around I mentioned above would work for you in this situation.  However you'll need to do a couple of things first:
    1. Create a new category for withholding of City income tax...because there is no default category for it in Quicken.  During this process you'll need to assign the W-2:Local tax withheld, self tax line item to it.
    2. Create a new category for withholding of County income tax...because there is no default category for it in Quicken.  During this process you'll need to assign the W-2:Local tax withheld, self tax line item to it...the same tax line item that was used for the City income tax category.
    Then you could use the workaround option for your Paycheck Reminder:  Enter the additional tax deduction lines as Other Pre-Tax Deductions using these 2 new categories.  If you do this these two new income taxes will be captured properly in the tax reports.  I have not tested it to see if they will be captured properly in the Tax Planner tool.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.