Shrinking File Options (Q Mac)

System
System Member admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Multiple account confusions on download (macOS Monterey 12.2.1)..

Comments

• Robin Whyte
    Robin Whyte Member ✭✭
    I have followed these instructions but have not been successful with my multiple confused account downloading. Most (not all) of the errors are in older transactions back to 2017 which have been backed up anyway. It would be helpful to make a shorter file (say post 01-01-2020) but you no longer offer a file splitting program for recent vs older records. You used to. File export to QMTF will not move selected dates up from 1982 which is weird. Do I really have to delete registers by hand? Since 1993-2017 I have been able to have annual collections. Is there a way to export the last two years to a new file?
  • Hi @Robin Whyte,

Thank you for contacting the Community with this question. From what I understand, you are trying to export specific transactions out of Quicken. You can do this by:

Choose what you'd like to export:
    While viewing any register, you can use the Search field in the top, right corner of the register to search/filter the register being viewed. You can search all visible fields (default) or limit your search to specific fields such as Category, Payee, Notes, etc. 

You can also filter your register to a specific date range, transaction type, or transaction status.

Once you can see the transactions you'd like to export, you're ready to go. (If you apply no filters, you can export all transactions in the register.)

To Export Register Transactions to CSV

1. While viewing the register transactions you'd like to export, from the main Menu, Select File > Export > Register Transactions to CSV File... 
    2. You will then see a window with some additional options. Make your selection and click Next.
    • All visible transactions - export all transactions displayed in the register
    • Selected transactions only - export only those transactions currently selected in the register
    • Unselected transactions only - export only those transactions that are currently unselected
    • Include Scheduled transactions - if you have Scheduled Transaction Reminders turned on for display in the register, they will be included in the output if this option is selected.
    1. Choose the name and location of the CSV file to be created and click Save.
    I have also included a link to the support article that goes into more detail regarding exporting data from Quicken:

https://www.quicken.com/support/mac/how-do-i-export-data-quicken

I hope that you find this to be of use. 
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Robin, I'm sorry, but the post above from @Quicken Jasmine won't work. She suggest exporting the data as a CSV file — but there's no way to import a CSV file into a new Quicken Mac data file.

You also don't want to use an export to QMTF. That was an old format created for people who switched from Quicken 2007 to Quicken Essentials and decided they wanted to go back. QMTF is a slightly modified version of a QIF file, which would be imported into Quicken 2007, but cannot be imported into Quicken Mac.

The only way to export and re-import into a Quicken Mac file is using QXF format. But that doesn't offer you any way to selectively control the dates of data you export, which defeats the purpose you're trying to achieve. (Although it should break the connection to Quicken Cloud.)

So, yes, if you want to purge data prior to a selected date, you can only do it by deleting transactions and adjusting the starting balance so your current balance will be correct.

It really shouldn't be necessary to create a file from a selected date forward, but I appreciate that you have tried various things and are still getting old transactions inexplicably edited by Quicken Cloud. I don't know why none of the Quicken moderators here have acknowledged this problem which is affecting a small number of users who have been posting about it here; I therefore don't know if the developers are aware there's a problem or not. They need to address whatever is affecting your data being corrupted from Quicken Cloud.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.