Updating from Quicken Deluxe 2006

gadgetlady
gadgetlady Member ✭✭
I am currently running Quicken 2006 Deluxe (!) and am looking to upgrade to the current Quicken Deluxe. Before I do I'd like to know two things:

1) Are these roughly comparable products (I don't have to learn too much new, and I'm not losing functionality)?

2) If, after the year subscription is up, I decide not to re-up my subscription, will I be able to continue using Quicken Deluxe 2022 (or whatever the current version is called) indefinitely, like I am using 2006 now?

I guess I should probably also confirm that merging the data over from Quicken 2006 should be fairly seamless?

Thanks for any help!

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @gadgetlady .  The version you are wanting to upgrade from is pretty old.  You will not be able to upgrade directly to the current subscription version from it.  You will first need to first upgrade to Quicken 2013.  You can read up more about the upgrade process at Convert Data From an Earlier Version of Quicken (When to Use an Intermediate Version) [Support Article].  You can also download the Quicken 2013 Deluxe for free from a link in this Support Article.
    After you upgrade to Quicken 2013 you can upgrade to any of the more recent versions, including the current subscription.  You should note that if you decide to not renew your subscription when it expires you will be able to continue using it manually like you do now for as long as your system supports it but there will be a banner that takes up about 20% of your screen reminding you to renew your subscription.  There is no way to remove that banner short of renewing your subscription.
    If, however, you are perfectly comfortable using Quicken manually like you do now you might want to consider staying with Quicken 2013.  Or, if you can find a CD for Quicken 2016 or 2017 you could upgrade to one of those.  Quicken 2017 was the last of the non-subscription version.  You won't have any online services with these versions but you also won't have that non-removable banner taking up 20% of your screen.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Why do you want to upgrade to the current Quicken Deluxe?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Hi @gadgetlady .  The version you are wanting to upgrade from is pretty old.  You will not be able to upgrade directly to the current subscription version from it.  You will first need to first upgrade to Quicken 2013.  You can read up more about the upgrade process at Convert Data From an Earlier Version of Quicken (When to Use an Intermediate Version) [Support Article].  You can also download the Quicken 2013 Deluxe for free from a link in this Support Article.
    After you upgrade to Quicken 2013 you can upgrade to any of the more recent versions, including the current subscription.  You should note that if you decide to not renew your subscription when it expires you will be able to continue using it manually like you do now for as long as your system supports it but there will be a banner that takes up about 20% of your screen reminding you to renew your subscription.  There is no way to remove that banner short of renewing your subscription.
    If, however, you are perfectly comfortable using Quicken manually like you do now you might want to consider staying with Quicken 2013.  Or, if you can find a CD for Quicken 2016 or 2017 you could upgrade to one of those.  Quicken 2017 was the last of the non-subscription version.  You won't have any online services with these versions but you also won't have that non-removable banner taking up 20% of your screen.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    NOTE: Subscription Starter edition goes into READ-ONLY mode when the subscription expires, so under no circumstances would I advise buying Starter if you don't plan to renew the subscription.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• gadgetlady
    gadgetlady Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    @Sherlock - two main reasons. 1) I am getting error messages and crashes whenever I try to print or download a report. It's really annoying because sometimes I forget it won't work and I keep crashing the program, and 2) I want to try online services (downloading transactions) to see if it's at all worthwhile for me. I don't do a ton on Quicken so I probably wouldn't mind continuing without online services in future years. It's mainly the errors and crashes that I want to fix.
  • gadgetlady
    gadgetlady Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    @Boatnmaniac - THANK YOU! That is all very helpful info, especially the part about needing to step up to Quicken 2013 before going beyond that. And with my personality, a huge banner would probably annoy me no end - so I might just keep 2013 or try to find a 2016 or 2017 and forego the online services.
  • gadgetlady
    gadgetlady Member ✭✭
    @splasher - I wasn't even looking at starter. With the current discount, Deluxe is cheaper than Starter anyway. But thank you for the head's up.
  • gadgetlady
    gadgetlady Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac - YOU ROCK - thank you so much. Upgraded to 2013 for now and it's so much cleaner. Reports work and everything is faster.
  • Boatnmaniac
    @gadgetlady - You are welcome.  I'm glad it's working better for you now.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm staying on 2013 too.  FYI - If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.  The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    @Sherlock - two main reasons. 1) I am getting error messages and crashes whenever I try to print or download a report. It's really annoying because sometimes I forget it won't work and I keep crashing the program, and 2) I want to try online services (downloading transactions) to see if it's at all worthwhile for me. I don't do a ton on Quicken so I probably wouldn't mind continuing without online services in future years. It's mainly the errors and crashes that I want to fix.
    If you're planning to upgrade your Quicken file set, I suggest you attempt to resolve the issue(s) causing the error messages and crashes you're getting whenever you try to print or download a report first.   If the issues are caused by a non-repairable corruption, upgrading will likely make it worse.

I doubt you'll find the variety of online services worthwhile.  They're use certainly goes against your desire not to have to learn too much.

If you're able to resolve those issues, it wouldn't be bad idea to upgrade to the free Quicken 2013 Deluxe
  • gadgetlady
    gadgetlady Member ✭✭
    @volvogirl I did the upgrade to 2013 and it was seamless. I had noticed the overwhelming quantity of extensions for Quicken files in the past, so I'm glad they're consolidated now.
  • gadgetlady
    gadgetlady Member ✭✭
    @Sherlock - I've already upgraded to 2013 (with a 2006 backup just in case) and the reports seem to be working fine so I think I'm good.

I use Quickbooks for my business and I love that it syncs up to my bank account activity, downloads and matches transactions, etc. I wouldn't complain if I had that with Quicken but I do very little with my personal accounts so it's not a hassle to enter stuff manually. Thanks for your help!
This discussion has been closed.