Why does syncing online change budget amounts from last year?

I am having a serious issue with the planning/budget tool. Whenever I am done budgeting and setting everything up, I click on sync so it can go into the cloud. However, Quicken will then add random numbers into the budget from the beginning of last year (when I didn’t even use Quicken). Because these categories are rolled over, it messes everything up for this month’s budget. So I have to keep checking back to make sure all the numbers are correct and then I have to reset the cloud data every single time. This is extremely annoying and unreliable for budgeting! Has anyone ever experienced this? I wish there was a way to lock any month’s budget after it’s done so that the numbers don’t change.

Best Answer

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @timandmelinda,

Thank you for providing more information. 

To start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log

I hope this helps!

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @timandmelinda,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this error with budgeting. 

If you don’t mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the error you described receiving(please remember to redact personal information)? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Looking forward to hearing your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

• timandmelinda
    timandmelinda Member ✭✭
    @quicken Jasmine I don't receive an error. I only notice that numbers were changed in the budget because I go back and look at the numbers.
  • timandmelinda
    timandmelinda Member ✭✭
    @Quicken>; @Quicken Jasmine said:
    > Hello @timandmelinda,
    >
    > Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this error with budgeting. If you don’t mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the error you described receiving(please remember to redact personal information)? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.
    >
    > Looking forward to hearing your response.

Jasmine I don't receive an error. I only notice that numbers were changed in the budget because I go back and look at the numbers. I recently did the initial sync today and but amounts in different categories were changed from this year. Ah! It's so frustrating because I have to keep fixing all these amounts. They are all rollover categories so this screws everything up. Quicken is virtually unusable and unreliable if this issue doesn't get resolved.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Answer ✓
    Hello @timandmelinda,

Thank you for providing more information. 

To start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log

I hope this helps!

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

• timandmelinda
    timandmelinda Member ✭✭
    I will try this. Thanks!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

1) Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
    AND
    2) do you use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web feature?

The Sync process has been suspected of a number of weird happenings with Quicken. Could your problem be caused by Sync?

If you answer "yes" to the 1st question and "no" to the 2nd question, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it. The Sync process should only be used in conjunction with the Quicken app for Smartphones or the Quicken on the Web browser app. It cannot be used as a replacement for backing up and restoring your Quicken data file.

If you answer "yes" to both questions, try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
    Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

How to reset Sync to Cloud

• Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:
    • Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.
    • Now log back into your mobile app

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file

• Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Change the Sync radio button and set it to OFF
  • timandmelinda
    timandmelinda Member ✭✭
    @UKR My answer is yes to both. I already know that the issue is due to the sync because it happens after it syncs. The whole reason I bought Quicken is because of this feature and the great price point.

I have reset the cloud sync various times. In fact, I found this to be the only way to make it work so I've had to do this every time. However, it's still doesn't completely resolve the issue long-term. I still need to validate the file and see if that's what it is.
  • timandmelinda
    timandmelinda Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Jasmine Looks like that seemed to work. I'll keep an eye on it! Thanks so much!
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @timandmelinda,

Thank you for coming back to update me. I am so glad to hear that we were able to resolve your issue!

Please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns!

-Quicken Jasmine

• timandmelinda
    timandmelinda Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Jasmine So I've been having an issue where my phone will download new transactions but the balance doesn't match the online balance (even though all the transactions are there). Anyway, so I opened up Quicken to sync everything and the issue with the budget happened again. Random categories in random months changed the budgeted amounts. Very weird. I have done the Super Validation so I'm not sure if the problem will occur again, but I don't think this will fix the problem.
  • timandmelinda
    timandmelinda Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Jasmine So the issue was not resolved. I synced my bank account and my budget went crazy. Random changes were made to the entire year. This is truly frustrating.
This discussion has been closed.