PayPal downloads do not work

DG65
DG65 Member
I have followed the prompts in Quicken for Mac to connect my PayPal account for downloads of transactions but it is not working. The process begins in Quicken with this prompt:

Authorize your PayPal accounts

PayPal uses a more secure connection method. You’ll need to use the bank-hosted sign-in form to reauthorize downloads.

Select Sign In to authenticate via your web browser.

I go through the sign process at the PayPal website. It tells me I'm successful but Quicken then tells me that "authorization using your browser was successful!" but it's not. In the Quicken program, at the top of the PayPal account window, I'm told "There is a problem downloading transactions for this account."

This happens every single time I've tried to connect. Now going on a dozen over a few weeks. Is there a solution?

Answers

  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    DG65 said:
    I have followed the prompts in Quicken for Mac to connect my PayPal account for downloads of transactions but it is not working. The process begins in Quicken with this prompt:

    Authorize your PayPal accounts

    PayPal uses a more secure connection method. You’ll need to use the bank-hosted sign-in form to reauthorize downloads.

    Select Sign In to authenticate via your web browser.

    I go through the sign process at the PayPal website. It tells me I'm successful but Quicken then tells me that "authorization using your browser was successful!" but it's not. In the Quicken program, at the top of the PayPal account window, I'm told "There is a problem downloading transactions for this account."

    This happens every single time I've tried to connect. Now going on a dozen over a few weeks. Is there a solution?
    Hello @DG65

    I am sorry that you are experiencing this issue with downloading transactions. Thank you for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community.

    Are you noticing any error codes when trying to update your accounts? Also, is there any way that you would be willing to provide an image of the message you are seeing, with any personal information redacted? You can view the thread linked here for additional information about how to submit screenshots to the Quicken Community. Note that you may also drag and drop your image into the comment before posting it as a means of uploading the image.

    I hope to hear more from you soon, should you have the chance to check back in with us. 

    Thank you,

    Quicken Jared 
  • DG65
    DG65 Member
    Hi Jared,

    Thanks for the help. I've added screen shots here. The one titled "Quicken prompt" is what I get when I start the process of connecting my PayPal account in Quicken. I do what is shown, log into PayPal, and then get the screenshot titled "PayPal confirmation" in the PayPal website. After that, Quicken tries to connect but I get the screenshot titled "Problem" within the Quicken program.

    Other than what is shown, there are no other error codes that I get in the Quicken program.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    DG65 said:
    Hi Jared,

    Thanks for the help. I've added screen shots here. The one titled "Quicken prompt" is what I get when I start the process of connecting my PayPal account in Quicken. I do what is shown, log into PayPal, and then get the screenshot titled "PayPal confirmation" in the PayPal website. After that, Quicken tries to connect but I get the screenshot titled "Problem" within the Quicken program.

    Other than what is shown, there are no other error codes that I get in the Quicken program.
    @DG65,     

    I am sorry that this issue is continuing, and thank you for getting back to me with those helpful screenshots. I appreciate your patience in working with me on this problem. 

    Be sure to save a backup before attempting to connect once more by going to File > Save a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. What instance of Paypal are you selecting in the financial institution list when you are attempting to link or add your accounts? Do you have any Paypal accounts that are currently connected to online banking services? You may check this by selecting your Paypal account(s) from the Account List in the left-hand panel of the Quicken window one by one and then navigate to the Settings button denoted by the 'gear' icon in the lower right-hand corner of the screen, under the register. Navigate to the Downloads tab; do you see a button that says Connect Account

    I look forward to your response. 

    Thank you,

    Quicken Jared 
  • DG65
    DG65 Member
    Hi Jared,

    To answer your questions:
    Q. What instance of Paypal are you selecting in the financial institution list when you are attempting to link or add your accounts?
    A. PayPal (see screenshot)

    Q. Do you have any Paypal accounts that are currently connected to online banking services?
    A. No
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    edited May 2022
    DG65 said:
    Hi Jared,

    To answer your questions:
    Q. What instance of Paypal are you selecting in the financial institution list when you are attempting to link or add your accounts?
    A. PayPal (see screenshot)

    Q. Do you have any Paypal accounts that are currently connected to online banking services?
    A. No
    Hello @DG65

    I appreciate the additional information confirming that no other accounts are currently linked to online banking services, and for that screenshot, as well; thank you for working with me on this so patiently. I am sorry that this problem remains ongoing.

    Have you looked into the connection method of the accounts? I would like to draw your attention to this Support Article regarding fairly recent changes made to Paypal's online banking connections. I want to be sure that the information provided here has been considered, as it may be helpful in this situation.

    Let me know if this helps. 

    Thank you,

    Quicken Jared 
  • DG65
    DG65 Member
    Jared,

    Yes, I'm aware of that support article. In fact I shared screenshots of my using this new signon method unsuccessfully with you previously. It's not working no matter what I do. Any other ideas why?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited May 2022
    Hello @DG65,

    Thank you for reaching out to the Community to report your issue, though I apologize for any trouble you have experienced so far.

    Before pursuing further troubleshooting; could you please specify the account type(s) (i.e.: Checking, Savings, Credit Card, etc) of the account(s) you are trying to connect with?

    Thank you!
    -Quicken Anja
  • DG65
    DG65 Member
    Hello, please see the start of this thread for that answer.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Thank you for your response.
    DG65 said:
    Hello, please see the start of this thread for that answer.
    To clarify; I have read and reviewed this thread in its entirety, however, I do not see where you specified the exact account type being Checking, Savings, Credit Card, etc.

    Please specify, thank you!
    -Quicken Anja
  • DG65
    DG65 Member
    I am trying to connect my PayPal account built in quicken to PayPal account on the PayPal website. I have the PayPal account in quick and set up as a checking account
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    edited May 2022
    DG65 said:
    I am trying to connect my PayPal account built in quicken to PayPal account on the PayPal website. I have the PayPal account in quick and set up as a checking account
    @DG65,   

    Thanks for getting back to us with that answer, and I'm sorry for the delay in replies. 

    Have you looked into the information disclosed in this Discussion regarding changes made to the Paypal online banking services? Based on your account type, this may relevant to your situation. It sounds as though there are some lingering issues with data being sent after prompts have been followed, which is being discussed in the thread currently. 

    I hope this is helpful.

    Thank you,

    Quicken Jared 
  • Daphne
    Daphne Member
    Based on the linked lengthy discussion posed in the last reply from Quicken Jared I decided to try linking the PayPal account via other browsers since FireFox was not working. I had same issue with Safari. I tried Chrome and it worked.

    > @"Quicken Jared" said:
    > @DG65,   
    >
    > Thanks for getting back to us with that answer, and I'm sorry for the delay in replies. 
    >
    > Have you looked into the information disclosed in this Discussion regarding changes made to the Paypal online banking services? Based on your account type, this may relevant to your situation. It sounds as though there are some lingering issues with data being sent after prompts have been followed, which is being discussed in the thread currently. 
    >
    > I hope this is helpful.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 
  • DG65
    DG65 Member
    I ended up having to create a new account in Quicken and was able to successfully link that to PayPal for downloads. Not ideal but at least it worked.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    DG65 said:
    I ended up having to create a new account in Quicken and was able to successfully link that to PayPal for downloads. Not ideal but at least it worked.
    @DG65,  

    Thank you for reaching out to me again to let me know what is happening. I am happy to hear that downloads are now occurring successfully, although I am sorry that a preferable method was not available. I am also grateful that you let us know about how you were able to achieve downloads once more.

    Feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.


    Thanks again,

    Quicken Jared  
This discussion has been closed.