Does Quicken for Windows have a hypothetical portfolio tool?

tbf47
tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2022 in Investing (Windows)
Does Quicken have a tool to back test investment portfolio ideas?

Windows 10 * Quicken Premier user.

Quicken user since 198x something. Started with Quicken for DOS 5.X

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it does not.  That's well beyond the scope of a retail-level personal accounting program. 
    Quicken has added to its investment-related kit of tools over the years (it started out as a "checkbook" program) but nothing approaches what you're asking for and tools like that call for considerable horsepower, programmatically.

I guess you could take your file, copy it - maybe several times - and test out a few different scenarios by deleting transactions and adding other transactions, but that could be labor-intensive, and maybe less than satisfactory.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can set up a manual investing account and mark it Separate so it doesn't affect your real results. The Return (%) columns use downloaded performance data and include reinvested dividends.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    My answer would be a bit different than @Tom Young's, and would start with a question.

Are the current portfolio view values and investment reports good enough to get the information you seek for a real portfolio?

Because it is certainly possible to create a hypothetical portfolio in Quicken, the real question is if Quicken has tools to do the analysis that you want, and you have not specified what analysis you want to perform.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2022
    @tbf47 - Have you looked at "Tools" in the "Investments" tab?

I didn't see where you mentioned what Quicken version you have, but this investment tool list is from Quicken Premier.
This discussion has been closed.