How do I sell lots of a security for tax-loss purposes? QPremier R40.21

Options
corndog638
corndog638 Member ✭✭
edited June 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I sold five specific lots of a holding to harvest tax losses. How do I remove them from the register and account for the loss in value?

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I tried shortsale and a sold transaction in the account register for one lot amount and with price received and wasn't prompted to pick a specific or enter a purchase price. I checked "Preferences" and a box I'm not familiar with "Enable Simple Investing" is checked.
    Simple Investing only tracks positions.  Quicken will not be able to calculate capital gains or losses, or investment income.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How did you (have you) record this in Q?  Because any SELL action, with a sell price that's lower than the purchase price will achieve your objective.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When you enter the Sell transaction, you have the choice to specify lots in the selections at the right of the transaction in the register or in the transaction pop-up.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• corndog638
    corndog638 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I tried shortsale and a sold transaction in the account register for one lot amount and with price received and wasn't prompted to pick a specific or enter a purchase price. I checked "Preferences" and a box I'm not familiar with "Enable Simple Investing" is checked.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Simple Investing only tracks positions.  Quicken will not be able to calculate capital gains or losses, or investment income.
  • corndog638
    corndog638 Member ✭✭
    Options
    OK, I backed up my file, unselected "Enable Simple Investing", and now a "specify lots" button appears. Problem solved; thanks for the clues.
This discussion has been closed.