Does Quicken support entering Variable monthly budgets by Category?

Options
evilwargs
evilwargs Member ✭✭
I'm interested in entering a variable monthly budget for each expense category. Is there a way I can do that in Quicken?

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    evilwargs said:
    Yes...
    There are few ways.  For example: open the budget, select Annual view in the first pull-down menu and then set the different amount per month/category.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    evilwargs said:
    Thanks, everyone. Great stuff. I'm trying to get a budget back to 2021, but when I start the process it initiates a 2022 budget. Also, I'm not indicating (as far as I know...) any budget amounts, but after I select the categories in which to budget there are already amounts in the categories???? I'm in the Budget Only view. How do I clear all and then try to get this back to 2021? Hopefully I don't have to get into EACH category by month to clear this before copying back? Thx.
    To go back to a previous month or year, click on the left arrow icon at the top of the budget view.

To clear all categories, select Manage Budget Categories, Options > Select None, and OK.

To set the budgeted amount for a category for an entire year, click on the category's gear Budget Amount Option (small gear) icon.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    evilwargs said:
    Thanks. When I do that, and clear all categories. I re-select the categories I would like to budget in 2021. When I do that, I somehow have Budget amts in some but not all categories. In some categories it sets the monthly budget to what was spent, but others not when I look under Details vs Budget Only in the drop-down menu. How can I clear all the budget amounts and start a new for 2021?
    If you want the budgeted amount of a category to be zero for the entire year, set the budgeted amount in the current month to zero, click on the category's gear Budget Amount Option (small gear) icon, and select Apply [month] to all of [year].

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What do you mean by variable?
    Are you talking about having different amount per month/category?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • evilwargs
    evilwargs Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes...
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    evilwargs said:
    Yes...
    There are few ways.  For example: open the budget, select Annual view in the first pull-down menu and then set the different amount per month/category.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, it can be done.  Simply select the option to budget by month, instead of year. 
    OR, you can set a budget for the entire year, then have Q divide it among the months and adjust any months/categories that aren't this 'average" amount.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Annual view is easiest way to do it because it is like entering into a spreadsheet showing all the categories and months of the years.

In the Graph View you have to be in Monthly to change the values and do it one month at a time as you select the month to view.

Note that with the Starter edition the annual view isn't available, you need the Deluxe or above edition for that.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • evilwargs
    evilwargs Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. Great stuff. I'm trying to get a budget back to 2021, but when I start the process it initiates a 2022 budget. Also, I'm not indicating (as far as I know...) any budget amounts, but after I select the categories in which to budget there are already amounts in the categories???? I'm in the Budget Only view. How do I clear all and then try to get this back to 2021? Hopefully I don't have to get into EACH category by month to clear this before copying back? Thx.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    evilwargs said:
    To go back to a previous month or year, click on the left arrow icon at the top of the budget view.

To clear all categories, select Manage Budget Categories, Options > Select None, and OK.

To set the budgeted amount for a category for an entire year, click on the category's gear Budget Amount Option (small gear) icon.
  • evilwargs
    evilwargs Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks. When I do that, and clear all categories. I re-select the categories I would like to budget in 2021. When I do that, I somehow have Budget amts in some but not all categories. In some categories it sets the monthly budget to what was spent, but others not when I look under Details vs Budget Only in the drop-down menu. How can I clear all the budget amounts and start a new for 2021?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    evilwargs said:
    If you want the budgeted amount of a category to be zero for the entire year, set the budgeted amount in the current month to zero, click on the category's gear Budget Amount Option (small gear) icon, and select Apply [month] to all of [year].
  • evilwargs
    evilwargs Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, think that worked well!
This discussion has been closed.